dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
OK I said a few weeks ago I wasn't really worried about the Giants game, I did believe we'd win. I was a little more worried after this week's injury news (especially with the Smith's). When I saw the weather was gonna be really bad, I thought the offense might struggle more with what I expected to be a pretty good Giants DL.

I never saw 40-0 coming. This was an epic beatdown of a team that was being universally praised by all the football media, in fact a lot of that same media predicted they'd beat us last night. It's only one game so I don't want to get too carried away, but there was definitely some strong hints that this may not be the "same ol Cowboys" as what we have grown accustomed to.

1) Kudos to the coaching staff. They had the team dialed in and focused. This LOOKED like a well coached and strong willed team. In years past, we'd have seen the "same 'ol Cowboys" probably fold like a cheap tent just because the weather was 100% miserable to be out in and it was "only one game". Not last night. Mike McCarthy's first game calling plays passed the test and Dan Quinn has built a real defensive juggernaut.

2) It was not discussed all that much in the offseason, but hiring Mike Solari to replace the stiff we had as OL coach was a GREAT move. There was a TREMENDOUS difference in the way this OL played last night, and we didnt even have Tyler Smith (probably the most physically gifted OL we have). We had a RT coming off a major injury, we had a LT who was injured during the week and moving back to LT after playing RT last yr. We had a backup LG start the game who missed almost all of camp and preseason. And these guys blocked their asses off. The run blocking was just so-so in the first half, but in the second half they really imposed their will on what is a really good Giants DL. I don't think we had one holding call and other than the one hiccup by T Steele no presnap penalties. This was this OL's first game action together and they looked outstanding. Once they get Tyler Smith out there, this unit could be really special. Zack Martin and Tyler Biadasz were great last night. Tyron Smith made Kayvon Thibodeaux completely disappear (4 tackles, no sacks, no pressures, no QB hits). Only Dexter Lawrence managed to touch Prescott, as Leonard Williams, Azeez Ojulari, Isiah Simmons and Ashawn Robinson combined for ZERO hits/pressures.

3) On to our defense, which after the first drive was absolutely sensational. They were suffocating, they were in the backfield seemingly every play. They pressured Jones at an alarmingly high rate (over 62% of drop backs). We had 7 sacks and two others were negated by mercy call penalties. They got pressure from inside and outside. Coverage was sensational and the HITTING was superb, that was some outstanding tackling last night by our guys and they had a number of huge hits on various Giants offensive guys. We forced 5 fumbles and got 3 turnovers, and narrowly missed a few others (Hooker dropped a tailor made pick for one)

4) Offensively, while it wasn't overwhelming it was efficient and people do need to take into account the game was played in a deluge for 60 mins. Prescott didnt make any mind numbingly bad decisions and I do think a couple of the throws that got away from him were weather related. He had numerous balls dropped (again, will give some of these guys some slack due to rain) but Ferguson dropped two bad ones (esp the 3rd down conversion around the 10) and Hendershot dropped the best pass of the day by either QB for what would have been a 20 yd TD (we ended up getting a TD anyway) but he has to catch that. Brandin Cooks dropped one too but overall he had a really good night. The TE blocking was also outstanding as Ferguson and Schoonmaker had numerous key blocks on run plays. The highlight of the night in my opinion was the way they came out in the 2nd half. Took the ball and scored a TD in 10 plays/75 yards, giving us a 33-0 lead and turning out the lights on any hope the Giants had. In years past, we saw our team sometimes get up on someone and then let them widdle away at us and make it a game (or even lose). But last night was different.

5) I'm sure we all let out huge groans when the rookie PK missed badly on his first PAT, but credit to him he nailed ALL his other kicks (4 other PAT's and 2 FG's) and BOOMED every kickoff for a touchback. Definitely earned more time and I doubt he has to kick in weather as bad as what he had last night again during the regular season.

6) Mentioned it last night, but the players we added via trade in Gilmore and Cooks, and the signing of Edoga paid immediate dividends. None of them cost us much and all played a great game. We had two UDFA DB's from 2022 who were all over the place last night (Juanyeh Thomas and Markese Bell). Mazi Smith got some good reps and had some nice plays, incl a TFL and a couple of good pressures. One of them he trucked two Giants OL in the process. Has a bright future.

7) Non Cowboys related games. Washington stinks (Dooms, they will not be any "trouble" for anyone), Philly looked very beatable (and should have lost yesterday). Green Bay looked better than expected and so did the Rams. The NFC South is terrible. Miami and San Diego had no defense whatsoever (speaking of Chargers, Kellen Moore's debut was pretty strong. They scored 34 pts, ran the ball 40 times for 234 yards had 30 first downs and no turnovers). The Stealers were horrendous. (Sorry again Dooms, but Kenny Pickett hardly looked like a franchise type QB). Overall there was some awful QB all around the league. And why exactly is Tyreek Hill still being allowed to be on a football field? This dude is the epitome of a thug, I have ZERO doubt whatsoever that if he played for us then Goodell would have already whacked this guy for a significant part of the season (if not all of it). The Niners are relly good and will be curious to see Bills and ARodge Jets (who we play next week) tonight.

It's only one game, but it's pretty clear that barring significant injuries we have a real contender this year, and it didnt look like "same 'ol Cowboys" last night at all.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Last nights Cowboys team “felt” different than any other team in recent memory

I never once had that “oh shit, here we go again” type feeling like we were about to let NYG slowly get back into the game like I would typically have in the past.

We stepped on their throats from the first snap and kept our foot there all night long!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Last nights Cowboys team “felt” different than any other team in recent memory

I never once had that “oh shit, here we go again” type feeling like we were about to let NYG slowly get back into the game like I would typically have in the past.

We stepped on their throats from the first snap and kept our foot there all night long!
I had that same feeling. Like Jimmy's Boys, like Tom's best ones.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Which was the worst team in the league.
Houston has that definition. AZ was without it's 200 mill QB. Washington now has its franchise guy. Improvement assured. Yes they are gonna be problems for people this season.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I had that same feeling. Like Jimmy's Boys, like Tom's best ones.

They are going to have to destroy a few more teams and assert their dominance a few more times before I can even consider mentioning them in the same breath as Jimmy’s teams.

But we are headed in the right direction for sure!

1e4533e3cbadb117456996dff794327c.jpg

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They are going to have to destroy a few more teams and assert their dominance a few more times before I can even consider mentioning them in the same breath as Jimmy’s teams
It felt like it. That's not saying it IS like it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Houston has that definition. AZ was without it's 200 mill QB. Washington now has its franchise guy. Improvement assured. Yes they are gonna be problems for people this season.
Did you watch them any?

Dude they got mauled up front by the Arizona defense. Cards had almost as many sacks and pressures as we did. The Cards actually outrushed the Foreskins and they were led by a guy who is at best a 3rd string QB in this league. The only reason Washington managed to win was two bad fumbles by said bad QB.

Washington is awful. They'll be lucky to win 4 or 5 games.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And by the way, that 200 million QB is also garbage on top of being a complete pinhead.

He won't even be the QB of that team next yr.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And by the way, that 200 million QB is also garbage on top of being a complete pinhead.

He won't even be the QB of that team next yr.
Oh I'm definitely not a fan but he does give them a helluva lot better chance of beating Washington. In fact I hate the piece of shit and AZ was stupid to give him a contract.

Reaction score
Nice recap.

One of Nate Newton's main takeaways from last night was that McCarthy's play calling was specifically geared to protect the defense -- to give the defense more rest and to avoid unnecessary risks. The idea is to play into the strength of the defense.

It's not a revolutionary observation, but it's fundamentally important. McCarthy's focus is to win games and he has a sense of how to do it. And isn't it great to finally have a head coach / OC who has the clarity of mind to play smart? This is the best coaching the Cowboys have had since Parcells.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Nice recap.

One of Nate Newton's main takeaways from last night was that McCarthy's play calling was specifically geared to protect the defense -- to give the defense more rest and to avoid unnecessary risks. The idea is to play into the strength of the defense.

It's not a revolutionary observation, but it's fundamentally important. McCarthy's focus is to win games and he has a sense of how to do it. And isn't it great to finally have a head coach / OC who has the clarity of mind to play smart? This is the best coaching the Cowboys have had since Parcells.
Yeah we just handed them their ass and didn't worry about hitting our fancy pants benchmarks for the passing game. Refreshing.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It’s nice to see play calling designed to win games as opposed to play calling designed to pass for more yards than everyone else

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If we can keep games manageable or at least keep them in a situation where we don’t have to put Dak in position to have to go out and save the day and win the game we may just have have a recipe for success this season.

We also need to run the ball more or at least control the time of possession more (one way or another) to allow for our defense to get more rest between series.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If we can keep games manageable or at least keep them in a situation where we don’t have to put Dak in position to have to go out and save the day and win the game we may just have have a recipe for success this season.

There was a lot of great stuff last night but I disagree with this part. Your franchise QB will be put in a situation to win the game sooner or later, especially in the playoffs. You can't hide Dak and that's not a recipe for success. Last night was a tough night weather wise and the TE's had some key drops or Dak would have had a good game.

But I do like the team's attitude and I really think MM and Quinn are doing a real good job coaching this team. The difference between what we saw with the Red Dolt and our current staff is night and day and it seems the players are buying off on it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Reporter: Dak you led the league in interceptions last year, how does your new play caller Mike McCarthy fit into that?

Dak: You know we're gonna win simple as that we're gonna do whatever it takes.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

We also need to run the ball more or at least control the time of possession more (one way or another) to allow for our defense to get more rest between series.
Well we had TD's on defense and special teams, that gives them the ball right back. They also went for it on 4th down 5 times (converted 3)

They ran 65 plays and we had 55, but we also got the 3 turnovers, the blocked FG and had a few possessions where we stopped them on downs. In terms of our play-calling, we did run it more than we passed it (30 runs, 25 passes)

daboyz

👀
Reaction score
Lol at first picture. They'll remember that just as Cowboys nation does w/Eli signing the wall by the urinal at ATT stadium when they advanced to the NFC championship game after defeating Dallas.
KARMA 😂

Another stat. Dallas became only the 5th team to open their season w/a shutout of 40 plus points on the road according to ESPN Stats & Information.

The last such occasion came in 1999 when the Steelers defeated the Browns 43-0.

Top Bottom