dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Been watching our 'Boys since 1975 and to say this is potentially the most remarkable season in that span would probably be an understatement. There wasn't any doubt about the 77 and 78 teams, everyone knew they were exceptionally good. Wasn't much doubt about the 92-95 Cowboys either, everyone knew we were special. No seasons IMO rank above Super Bowl championship years but this season is special because I don't think anybody saw this coming this year. 10-1 and 10 straight wins with a rookie 4th rd pick at QB, its unbelievable. What's more unbelievable is we're 10-1 in large part because of how GOOD the rookie 4th rd pick is at QB. If we were 10-1 because we had the 1977 Doomsday defense along with the other offensive talent we have, nobody would be all that surprised. But we actually have the ANTI-Doomsday defense and we're 10-1.

1) The stat line will show we "only" gained 353 yards of offense (400 would have set another record, for most consecutive games in NFL history with that number). However we only punted twice and again had no offensive turnovers. We scored on every other series except the final one of each half (kneel down and run out the clock). We averaged an impressive 6.4 yds per play and still had 24 first downs. Our longest offensive play was 26 yds.

2) Prescott continued his amazing season with another good game, although he did miss a couple of reads that could have netted easy TD's. The big one was the one where Dez turned Norman completely around on the post and would have scored easily. The other came on a play where he just missed Butler for a nice TD. Butler was open, but Witten was actually MORE open on the same play and would have been an easier throw. I'm sure these will be things he'll learn from as he plays more.

3) To continue on Prescott, he has now started 11 NFL games and in 9 of them he has posted a game QB rating of 103.7 or better. Only twice has it fell to hit the 100+ mark (NYG week 1, vs Philly game 7) For the season, a ridiculous 108.6 rating, 18 tds, only 2 picks, 8.34 yds per attempt and a 67.9% comp %.

4) 30 rushing attempts, 25 passing attempts. We continue to be the only team that rushes it more than we pass it. Another 160+ yd rushing game this season (that's now 7 out of 11). Thursday 4 different players had runs of at least 12 yards.

5) Thought Dez had a really good game (could have been much bigger had Prescott thrown him that one long one) and he kept his cool well against Norman (who I think definitely tried to bait him). I think the last 3 games (17 receptions, 268 yds and a 3 tds) he has started looking like the Dez of 2012-2014 and should be a huge asset for us down the stretch as teams continue to load the box to try and take Zeke away. By the way, T Williams made another sensational catch. Has knack for that a few times a season it seems.

6) Zeke came up 1 yd short Thursday of hitting 1200 for the season. Would need a huge final 5 games to break Dickerson's record (right now projected to come in around 1750) but he had another solid all around game and after being bottled up for most of the game after the 1st drive until late. In addition to the huge rushing numbers he also has over 300 yds receiving on 24 catches (very impressive for a RB avg of 12.6 now) and has totaled 12 touchdowns (tied for league lead)

7) Defensively. Ugh. Its truly ugly and its frustrating to watch. 500+ yards allowed. 0 sacks in 53 pass attempts. 0 turnovers (4th straight game). Other than decent run defense and holding the Skins to a few FG attempts, this defense is about as bad as can be. They just don't make plays. I thought the Skins O was a bad matchup for us but didn't expect it to be THIS bad. Beating a team 3 times in the same season is difficult (and we have that experience, losing to the Giants in 2007 playoffs after beating them twice in regular season) and I'd much prefer we don't see them (Skins) again until 2017 regular season. The D is what it is and with the other team raking up 70+ plays and 33mins+ TOP, we saw how truly bad it really is.

8) According to Bob Sturm, teams that had 500+ yds offense, 0 turnovers and 0 sacks allowed were a combined 32-1 in NFL history before our game. Make that 32-2 now. Also, we've won 4 straight games without our defense forcing a SINGLE turnover, another incredibly rare feat. We've now gone 7 consecutive games without our defense getting an interception. (On a play that counts). On the positive side, we only have 7 turnovers ourselves in 11 games, tied for 2nd best in the league.

9) How many holding calls have we had this year now on pancake blocks? Vince Mayle's block in the 4th qtr looked pretty damn good to me. The game itself was another hatchet job by league officials. What's amazing to me is Redskin fans are actually complaining and saying it was biased against THEM. It really gets sickening to see some of the ticky tack stuff called on our DB's, only to turn around in the same game and see our receivers constantly getting raped with no calls.

10) Many seem to fret Scott Linehan's future here and maybe he does get another head coaching opportunity (good for him if he does). That said, this offense is so loaded with bigtime young talent that any potential OC would pretty much kill to come here. And while Johnny Walker GM is ignorant, he does have a history of paying top notch assistants top notch $$$. We'll be fine. (On another note, those doing most of the "fretting" were also some of the most vocal AGAINST the Linehan hire in the first place). I think there'd be many candidates but I do wonder if Marvin Lewis and his staff gets whacked in Cinci if Ken Zampese (son of Ernie Zampese) gets major consideration here as OC. Daddy Zampese spent several years here in the 90's and Garrett played for him. Norv might be another, although his comments after he stepped down in Minnesota seemed to indicate to me that if the job wasn't on the west coast he probably wouldn't be interested now.

11) I wonder if they might spend the next two weeks or so scouring practice squads for potential defensive help. When we signed DE Zach Moore from the Vikings after final cutdowns, everyone believed he was going right onto our active roster, but he didn't. Been on our PS all season. From the write-ups on him PS, Viking fans were surprised he was cut and then Broaddus had some pretty encouraging things to say about him after watching his tape. Wonder if he finally gets the call up here. We also have a the extra couple days off after the Vikes game next Thursday. They need to do something I'd think to try and get some upgrade/s, no matter how miniscule the upgrade might be.

12) If we finish 4-1, we will have home field advantage regardless of what Seattle does the remainder of the season. 3-2 would guarantee us a 1st rd bye as long as the Giants don't win out.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
7) Defensively. Ugh. Its truly ugly and its frustrating to watch. 500+ yards allowed. 0 sacks in 53 pass attempts. 0 turnovers (4th straight game). Other than decent run defense and holding the Skins to a few FG attempts, this defense is about as bad as can be. They just don't make plays. I thought the Skins O was a bad matchup for us but didn't expect it to be THIS bad. Beating a team 3 times in the same season is difficult (and we have that experience, losing to the Giants in 2007 playoffs after beating them twice in regular season) and I'd much prefer we don't see them (Skins) again until 2017 regular season. The D is what it is and with the other team raking up 70+ plays and 33mins+ TOP, we saw how truly bad it really is.

Teams almost never get to the SB with lousy defenses, which is why I'm enjoying this ride as far as it can go. The defense is also why it's imperative to trade/cut Romo and pour those savings into that side of the ball, on top of a defense-heavy draft. I don't anticipate a $200M NYG spending spree, but the front seven needs heavy reinforcements. was also very unimpressed with Byron Jones in that game, who couldn't cover a banged up Reed to save his life.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Been watching our 'Boys since 1975 and to say this is potentially the most remarkable season in that span would probably be an understatement.

The first season you watched with the dirty dozen rookies making the SB, I think was more remarkable.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
7) Defensively. Ugh. Its truly ugly and its frustrating to watch. 500+ yards allowed. 0 sacks in 53 pass attempts. 0 turnovers (4th straight game). Other than decent run defense and holding the Skins to a few FG attempts, this defense is about as bad as can be.

I think they didnt bother much with the run because they could throw at will. The lack of pass rush and average secondary will ultimately end this season with a loss to a team they should probably beat.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Teams almost never get to the SB with lousy defenses, which is why I'm enjoying this ride as far as it can go. The defense is also why it's imperative to trade/cut Romo and pour those savings into that side of the ball, on top of a defense-heavy draft. I don't anticipate a $200M NYG spending spree, but the front seven needs heavy reinforcements. was also very unimpressed with Byron Jones in that game, who couldn't cover a banged up Reed to save his life.

I agree 100% about trading Romo. In my opinion they have to get a good pick for him. They need all the help they can to build that defense. Having another premium pick would help a lot. If Romo is traded I wouldn't expect Stephen to make any noise in FA until at least after the 2017 season. Even then though I don't expect him to. Real the bank in FA.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The first season you watched with the dirty dozen rookies making the SB, I think was more remarkable.

I don't remember game in and game out what happened (there was no NFL Sunday Ticket then, but Dallas was on quite a bit on the national games) but that season pretty good too. First Wild Card team in history to make it to the Super Bowl and of course the season of the Hail Mary vs Minnesota.

That said, most people thought this season was pretty much over and another 4-12 trainwreck was upon us after Romo went down. The fact that we're 10-1 and almost assuredly in the playoffs with a legit chance to make the Super Bowl makes this the most surprising season in team history IMO.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
First Wild Card team in history to make it to the Super Bowl and of course the season of the Hail Mary vs Minnesota.

but WC teams back then only had to win two games to get to the SB, not three

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Fair points for sure. The offense has to be pretty much perfect for us to win. If they have a game where Prescott throws multiple picks or we fail to cash in TD's on some of these long drives, we could definitely lose.

In regards to Jones. Reed is about as good a route runner and as athletic as any TE in the league right now. When you cant rush the passer a lick, its hard to blame DB's for completions allowed. And frankly some of his coverage was nt that bad, but Cousins threw a ton of perfect balls and when he didn't, they had a couple of really good grabs by the receivers.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
but WC teams back then only had to win two games to get to the SB, not three

There was nothing easier about that run though. We beat the 12-2 Vikings and 12-2 Rams on the road, and nearly beat the 12-2 Stealers to win it all.

I think even though it takes an extra game to get there, parity now makes it easier for WC teams to make runs. Back in the 70's and 80's there were more dominant teams and why it was so tough for WC teams to advance.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
In regards to Jones. Reed is about as good a route runner and as athletic as any TE in the league right now. When you cant rush the passer a lick, its hard to blame DB's for completions allowed. And frankly some of his coverage was nt that bad, but Cousins threw a ton of perfect balls and when he didn't, they had a couple of really good grabs by the receivers.

stop making excuses. Cousins wasn't sitting in the pocket forever when he threw the TD to Reed. hell, one play earlier, Jones even interfered with Reed and the guy still made a one-handed catch. and i don't think we drafted him in the first round with the expectation that he could only cover average tight ends or receivers. at this rate, I'll be cashing social security checks before he gets his first INT.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Thought Dez had a really good game (could have been much bigger had Prescott thrown him that one long one) and he kept his cool well against Norman (who I think definitely tried to bait him).
Although I gave props to Dez in another thread, for doing a lot better keeping his cool under provocation duress and not hurting the team, I still DO wish he could just walk away, trot back to the huddle, in those situations. He kept his head in the game for a change and that's progress.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There was nothing easier about that run though. We beat the 12-2 Vikings and 12-2 Rams on the road, and nearly beat the 12-2 Stealers to win it all.

Yes all those teams were damn good, and by all rights should have lost the hail Mary game.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes all those teams were damn good, and by all rights should have lost the hail Mary game.

it was unseasonably warm that day and we led for most of the game, but yeah, most underthrown bombs aren't cashed in for 6

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
was also very unimpressed with Byron Jones in that game, who couldn't cover a banged up Reed to save his life.

Thats the second time I can recall him being lit up by a TE this season.

IIRC, Chicagos TE got 2 TDs on him in similar goal line routes he got beat by Reed. Seems like Byron should be faster than most TEs and be able to stay in tight coverage

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Although I gave props to Dez in another thread, for doing a lot better keeping his cool under provocation duress and not hurting the team, I still DO wish he could just walk away, trot back to the huddle, in those situations. He kept his head in the game for a change and that's progress.

Agreed, he still let Norman get in his head when I think he should ignore the trash talk.

However, I understand him getting pissed about having is ankle twisted on purpose after he was down and the refs should have given Norman a PI at least. I think shit like that deserves to be kicked out of the game and maybe another game penalty. You cant have guys jeopardizing players careers with cheap shots

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

IIRC, Chicagos TE got 2 TDs on him in similar goal line routes he got beat by Reed. Seems like Byron should be faster than most TEs and be able to stay in tight coverage

well it's not like we passed on Landon Collins :facepalm

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I honestly don't remember any games where he has really struggled.

And its nothing that even an AVERAGE pass rush wouldn't alleviate.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I honestly don't remember any games where he has really struggled.

And its nothing that even an AVERAGE pass rush wouldn't alleviate.

hard to believe they'll manage to muster an average pass rush, where's it going to come from?

The only thing I can think of is 21 point leads

Top Bottom