Reaction score
Cowlishaw: Don't assume the Cowboys will make the playoffs
By TIM COWLISHAW Staff Writer
Published: 11 November 2014 09:17 PM
Updated: 11 November 2014 09:17 PM

SportsDay columnist Tim Cowlishaw, author of Drunk on Sports and co-host of "The Afternoon Show with Cowlishaw and Mosley" on KESN-FM 103.3, hosted a chat Thursday to talk all things sports. Here are some of the highlights:
Question: With the Cowboys now 7-3 and with a bye week coming up for our players to get healthy, what do you think our record will be in these final 6 games? Will it be good enough to make the playoffs?
Cowlishaw: That's a great question because I think everyone's assumption now is that things are good and this team -- which had the best record in the NFL three weeks ago -- is in. But they are not. First, you have to deal with an Eagles team that looks really good even with Sanchez. They are a half game ahead. Even if they lose to Green Bay, these teams will likely be tied going into their head-to-head battle. Second, look at all the wild card candidates -- Seattle, San Francisco, the Green Bay-Detroit runner up. It's crowded. It will be a heck of a race. I think the Cowboys get to 11-5 and make it in. If that's true, then I simply had their record backwards in my pre-season prediction -- a dyslexic moment.
Question: How will the Cowboys prepare for the Eagles only four days after the Giants?
Cowlishaw: Well, the simple answer is they will prepare the same way Philly will. It will be a very short week because the Cowboys will get home around 5 in the morning Monday after a night game in New York. But the Eagles have to fly here on Wednesday so that's tough. Here's what's interesting. The Eagles with Chip Kelly and his innovative ways normally do almost nothing the two days before a game. That's Friday and Saturday but in this case it's Tuesday and Wednesday. So their only workout will be Monday, the day after the Eagles play Tennessee. Tough week for them, tough week for Tony Romo, too.
Question: Garrett's contract is up at the end of the year. With two probable NFL head coach openings in the Big Apple, on a Bigger Stage, is Jerry whistling by the cemetery?
Cowlishaw: You think Jason Garrett is a head coach candidate for the Giants or Jets if they change coaches? I have not heard that, doubt it would be true. Garrett will be resigned by Jerry, there's no real doubt about that after this season...Unless they go 8-8 and that's pretty tough to imagine.

Reaction score
Garrett will be resigned by Jerry, there's no real doubt about that after this season...Unless they go 8-8 and that's pretty tough to imagine.

Its a shame that a coach with a franchise QB can have such a mediocre record, and to date no playoff appearances and/or division titles and still get a second contract.

Such is life when your egomaniac of a owner/GM is more interested in having fun and not walking on egg shells than actually winning.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It'll never happen, but my god that would be amazing if Garrett went to the Jets or Giants. The New York media would never fall for his smirks and BS political non-answers like the simpletons and old Glory Days boys here.

Reaction score
He wouldn't even get interviewed anywhere else. Not for a head coach gig. And truthfully, I doubt he'd get a look as an OC anywhere in the NFL.

Reaction score
I don't have access to it, but there was an article available to subscribers (on ESPN) which apparently projects that the Cowboys will finish with a 10-6 record, but will miss the playoffs.

Going only .500 in the final 6 games wouldn't be great. And missing the playoffs with a 10-6 record would suck too.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I can't see us missing the playoffs. In fact I'm sure we win the division with Foles out. The clock is going to strike midnight on this Sanchez love.

Reaction score
I can easily see us missing the playoffs.

We've been EXTREMELY lucky getting to 7-3, and we don't match up well against some of our remaining teams.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
God I hate Garrett and I've grown a healthy dislike for anyone that likes this scumbag. I expect better for my team and this idea that we're building something for the long term when the NFL has so much turnover year to year is fucking insane. How do people buy this BS and defend it? It drives me absolutely crazy......................

Reaction score
God I hate Garrett and I've grown a healthy dislike for anyone that likes this scumbag. I expect better for my team and this idea that we're building something for the long term when the NFL has so much turnover year to year is fucking insane. How do people buy this BS and defend it? It drives me absolutely crazy......................

That whole notion is complete bullshit.

And the people who argue that that is what we're doing know they are full of shit. This isn't the 1970's anymore. 33% of the roster is turned over every year. And the teams who have these legacies of long term recent success (Pittsburgh/New England/Indianapolis) did so with elite QB's. With Indianapolis being so retardedly lucky to go from Peyton, then Luck. Wow.

We don't have that. We have an elite QB who's prime was wasted with shitty coaching, and literally no young prospect worth a damn behind him. Sorry Dooms, Vaughn probably isnt the answer.

Reaction score
I can't see us missing the playoffs. In fact I'm sure we win the division with Foles out. The clock is going to strike midnight on this Sanchez love.

Yeah, I suspect that Sanchez will soon reveal himself to be inadequate (via poor decisions / turnovers). Here's hoping it happens vs. the Cowboys.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Right on, D12 and mid. I bet at Pantherszone there was a contingent of Really Good Fans who beat their chests about what Rivera had been building last year... Then look at this one. It's just a year to year league anymore with a ton of luck and variability.

The crazy thing is that we could never get above .500 the last four years with a top QB who was healthy, minus the one game last year.

Reaction score
Tony wasn't considered any kind of answer either, when he was the undrafted, third QB. Only time will tell.

Well no shit. We got real lucky there. And you know what, Tony had marketably better coaching then too, not just HC but more importantly for a young QB, a better QB coach. Tony credited David Lee and Vinny Testeverde with his development.

Vaughn has Jason Garrett. And Wade Wilson. Name a single positive thing Wade WIlson has done on this staff.

You know as well as I do, Vaughn faces ridiculously long odds. I'd love for him to pan out, but the chances on this team striking oil on two UDFA QB's is probably the same chances of someone winning the lottery twice.

Reaction score
Right on, D12 and mid. I bet at Pantherszone there was a contingent of Really Good Fans who beat their chests about what Rivera had been building last year... Then look at this one. It's just a year to year league anymore with a ton of luck and variability.

The crazy thing is that we could never get above .500 the last four years with a top QB who was healthy, minus the one game last year.

We could have had our head coach not been COSTING us games.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You know as well as I do, Vaughn faces ridiculously long odds. I'd love for him to pan out, but the chances on this team striking oil on two UDFA QB's is probably the same chances of someone winning the lottery twice.
Personally I don't expect Vaughan to be on the roster next year. I trust the current Cowboys decision makers to be exactly that stupid.

Vaughan doesn't have the need for a whole lot of coaching.

Reaction score
Back to the playoffs.... heres why I'm not optomistic about our chances:

First, we have the three games in 11 days stretch. We play on Sunday night, in New York, then have to fly home and play on Thursday. Both of those are division games. The Giants seem to be in disarray, but Eli always seems to get up for us and he was playing the Seahawks tough at home before the wheels fell off against Seattle. Seattle had a jillion rush yards, but a decent number of them came from Wilson and Romo obviously lacks that mobility. Still, we should win that game.

I think we split with Philly.

Then we travel to Chicago. They're in disarray. But I can't feel good about Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffries, and Martellus Bennett against our secondary. They're all 6'9" ffs.

Indy at Indy will probably be a loss.

Week 17 is in Washington. Garrett has no answer for Haslett. That'll be a dogfight. And quite frankly, if its a win and get in scenario, I dont like our odds based on very recent history.

I don't know. We may get in. I just don't have confidence in this team for obvious reasons. Starts at the top down.

Reaction score
Things can and do happen (car crashes and hotel treadmills), but I'm thinking that the longer term outlook for the Dallas OL is actually pretty good. And if you've got a solid OL, a lot of things become more possible.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
6 game stretch will be tough.

I can see it doing us in and Garrett getting the axe.

I could also see us hanging on, earning a playoff spot, and getting destroyed in the playoffs. Jerry will point to the great start and bring back Jason. That is the nightmare scenario.

Reaction score
As long as Romo and the O-line can stay healthy, i think the Cowboys get into the playoffs easily. Not even Garrett can fuck it up. You can call the shittiest game plan and a great O-line will still block it up. My biggest concern is still that defense. I just dont trust them.

Reaction score
Oh I have no doubt that Jason is coming back.

In Jason, Jerry has a coach he feels comfortable enough to go down to in the middle of the game, and tell him wtf to do. He has a coach who he can bully in the war room. Jerry, in Jason, has the perfect puppet head coach. I mean, if Jason wasn't fired after last season, he's staying forever. Those Detroit and Green Bay losses were beyond inexcuseable. Yet Jerry didn't care and pumped out the coach in training comments like it wasn't a big deal.

Top Bottom