sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by jellis at 4/1/2011 11:43 AM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

A little bit of a spoiler here, but I'll go ahead and tell you that I switched my pick in our weekly seven-round mock draft on DallasCowboys.com to give the team Da'Quan Bowers at pick No. 9.

I've thought that the Cowboys don't really value the end position highly in their 3-4, but things would be different if they had their chance at a truly catalytic player, and Bowers may indeed be that guy. While projected to be a top-five pick early in draft season, he has been slipping in many mocks because of concerns about his knee.

In his pro day at Clemson on Friday, Bowers alleviated a lot of those worries. He measured a bit smallish for a 3-4 end, however, at 6-foot-3 1/2 and 276 pounds. The height is fine, but to set the edge on running downs in the Cowboys' scheme, the team would need him to add some bulk.

Marcus Spears and Igor Olshansky both play at over 300 pounds. Bowers wouldn't necessarily have to gain that much weight, and it might not even make sense for his frame, but the Cowboys would probably want him to at least get within a range of 285-290 pounds. The quickness and technique that allowed him to dominate the ACC as a junior last season could then make up for the lack of heft compared to other 3-4 ends.

The Cowboys would have to be sure he could continue to explosive if he added another 15 pounds, though.

Still, it's not hard to project Bowers as a 3-4 end given his body type. Greg Ellis played that position for the Cowboys at 280 pounds in 2005, and held up well enough to accrue 8.0 sacks, one short of his then-career high.

sbk92

Reaction score
Ellis cried, whined and complained about that switch and then proceeded to have his best year of his career.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Ellis didn't move to OLB until '06. Parcells implemented the 3-4 in '05. That's why he wanted to draft Spears at 11.

Actually had a decent year there. 8 sacks.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ellis didn't move to OLB until '06. Parcells implemented the 3-4 in '05. That's why he wanted to draft Spears at 11.

Actually had a decent year there. 8 sacks.

Parcells stuck with the 4-3 in his first year with the Cowboys and then made the switch to the 3-4 in the 2nd.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Parcells stuck with the 4-3 in his first year with the Cowboys and then made the switch to the 3-4 in the 2nd.

We played the 4-3 in 2003 and 2004 under Parcells. The 3-4 was implemented after the 2005 draft that netted us Ware and Spears.

Top Bottom