boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think we all realize that we need to pick a RB in the first 4 rounds. Whether we pick one in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th is all just going to depend on who's available when we are on the clock. I definitely don't want this team getting married to the idea of taking a Gurley or Gordon and feel like they have to trade up or some dumb shit. And if there's a stud DT still on the board when we pick at 27, I'll be upset if we trade down trying to angle toward getting a RB in the top of the 2nd or something.

If we do think the draft is a deep one for RB, let the draft come to you. Draft BPA either RB or defense at 27... then do the same in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Take a RB somewhere in there, when you have one that isn't a huge reach.

We've shown a little ability in taking LBs in middle rounds like Hitchens, Lee, to some extent Carter... We've shown we can take a 3rd rounder in Murray and make him a player. Demarcus Lawrence looks like a player who we got in the 2nd round... The last thing you want to do in the draft is panic and take a 2nd or 3rd round graded RB in the first just because Gurley and Gordon are gone.

That is 100% the problem, Pep.

We need not only what we knew we would need in DL help, but now thanks to poor decisions, a RB.

That is two of our first three round picks earmarked for a position and that limits draft flexibility.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But, you all are saying we could really afford Murray, and still sign draft picks, and Dez?

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
so why weren't we in the SB last year? oh right, a severely hobbled QB facing little to no pass rush raped our secondary. playing "keep away" only gets you so far.

I agree , but there is very little chance of getting defensive rookies that will have much impact if any at all.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

We need not only what we knew we would need in DL help, but now thanks to poor decisions, a RB.

That is two of our first three round picks earmarked for a position and that limits draft flexibility.

*sigh*

The poor decision would have been to overpay for Murray. And how do you know for sure that either first two picks will go for an RB? Let's be real. Nobody knew that Murray would have the kind of year that he did this past season, because nobody new that the OL would come together like it did. I would not like to use a 1st on an RB or even a 2nd. A 3rd I am cool with, but if it happens...

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree , but there is very little chance of getting defensive rookies that will have much impact if any at all.

then we're in trouble. the sand in Tony's hourglass is running out, and we're significantly worse than the team that lost in GB. yes, the draft is still to come, but are we gonna find rookies equal to Carter, Parnell, Durant, Murray, Harris, etc?

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
then we're in trouble. the sand in Tony's hourglass is running out, and we're significantly worse than the team that lost in GB. yes, the draft is still to come, but are we gonna find rookies equal to Carter, Parnell, Durant, Murray, Harris, etc?

That is my point. Losing these players will end up hurting the team because they can't replace their production with rookies and the decent FAs are all but gone. This offseason the team has not made one move that has upgraded the team. I think Stephen may be worse than Jerry, but in a different way. I have never liked the arrogant jerk. Is there any middle ground in the Jones family?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Giants
Eagles
Cowboys
Redskins

Thats how the division plays out next year.

I'm kinda stunned how Dallas has approached free agency. Last year I kinda understood the approach, it looked like they'd be horrible on defense, so there was no need to do anything drastic.

They've lost a lot and and picked up next to nothing. A couple fullbacks, a guy named Jasper, and a running back that has been busy for 7 years.

I really thought they'd do everything they could possibly do to strengthen the defense to help get the team over the hump. Not happening.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Giants
Eagles
Cowboys
Redskins

Thats how the division plays out next year.

I'm kinda stunned how Dallas has approached free agency. Last year I kinda understood the approach, it looked like they'd be horrible on defense, so there was no need to do anything drastic.

They've lost a lot and and picked up next to nothing. A couple fullbacks, a guy named Jasper, and a running back that has been busy for 7 years.

I really thought they'd do everything they could possibly do to strengthen the defense to help get the team over the hump. Not happening.

Wrong, just like last yr

Reaction score

Yeah, I think they handled Dez/Murray wrong...

But what's done is done. Have to hope they can make some shrewd FA signings and really need at least 3 starters from the draft. Not great odds, but it can be done.

Reaction score
Murray? Probably not... But I never thought you'd be in here lamenting the loss of those other JAGs.

Parnell was a backup. Harris was a shell of his former self, which at his best was pretty much just a good punt returner. Durant played 6 games last year... the rookie 4th rounder replaced him. Carter was an overall huge disappointment here.

The high water mark for these guys was decent depth. They can be replaced without too much difficulty.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Murray? Probably not... But I never thought you'd be in here lamenting the loss of those other JAGs.

Parnell was a backup. Harris was a shell of his former self, which at his best was pretty much just a good punt returner. Durant played 6 games last year... the rookie 4th rounder replaced him. Carter was an overall huge disappointment here.

The high water mark for these guys was decent depth. They can be replaced without too much difficulty.

Not sure I'd classify starters as JAGS. Durant was perhaps our best LB before he got hurt. Carter was inconsistent, but the arrow was once again pointing up before he left. Harris regressed as a returner, but will a rookie equal his tackling/coverage abilities on punts and kickoffs? Who's our swing tackle now that Parnell is gone? If some of us are "panicking," a few of you are a little too cavalier about some of these defections, and way too optimistic about our ability to unearth adequate replacements.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I liked Carter more than most fans, but I think he is just slow to adjust to new schemes. He makes big plays and gets turnovers. Players that has that ability are not found in the scrap pile. I would have kept him over Durant due to age. Oh well, the team don't need those interceptions. Any jag can take his place.

Reaction score
Not sure I'd classify starters as JAGS. Durant was perhaps our best LB before he got hurt. Carter was inconsistent, but the arrow was once again pointing up before he left. Harris regressed as a returner, but will a rookie equal his tackling/coverage abilities on punts and kickoffs? Who's our swing tackle now that Parnell is gone? If some of us are "panicking," a few of you are a little too cavalier about some of these defections, and way too optimistic about our ability to unearth adequate replacements.
There's only one "starter" out of that list (obviously excepting Murray)... And that one starter was already replaced by Hitchens the last 10 games of 2014. Durant was a fine player, but let's not act like we're going to be dying to replace him when we did it with a rookie.

The rest of the guys aren't even worth the time debating. You wanted to pay Carter and Parnell what they got from TB and JAX? Of course not. And are we really going to pay $17 mil over 4 years for a good gunner? Come on.

I'm not even being all that optimistic about replacing them... I'm just not concerned with replacing perennial backups and disappointments. I'm also not concerned with how we're going to replace Sterling Moore.

Now Murray? Yes, I'm concerned about how we'll replace him, especially last year's production. But that concern you legitimately bring up is muddied by the faux concern you have for those other spare parts.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
There's only one "starter" out of that list (obviously excepting Murray)... And that one starter was already replaced by Hitchens the last 10 games of 2014. Durant was a fine player, but let's not act like we're going to be dying to replace him when we did it with a rookie.

The rest of the guys aren't even worth the time debating. You wanted to pay Carter and Parnell what they got from TB and JAX? Of course not. And are we really going to pay $17 mil over 4 years for a good gunner? Come on.

I'm not even being all that optimistic about replacing them... I'm just not concerned with replacing perennial backups and disappointments. I'm also not concerned with how we're going to replace Sterling Moore.

Now Murray? Yes, I'm concerned about how we'll replace him, especially last year's production. But that concern you legitimately bring up is muddied by the faux concern you have for those other spare parts.

I don't recall advocating that we match or exceed the offers made to Carter or Durant, but they were NFL quality players, and we could just as easily draft busts to replace them. I mean, this defense was in trouble even with them on the roster, and I don't sense a great deal of urgency at Valley Ranch regarding that side of the football. Worse, they're counting on a knucklehead like McClain who couldn't stay healthy.

Top Bottom