Reaction score
4/9/2011 1:20:04 PM | More

Dallas Cowboys linebacker Keith Brooking told a Dallas radion station the Cowboys players plan to hold unsupervised team workouts according to Tom Orsborn of the San Antonio Express-News.

The Dallas Cowboys plan to hold unsupervised team workouts during the lockout, linebacker Keith Brooking told a Dallas radio station.

In a Thursday interview with KESN-FM's “Galloway & Co.,” Brooking said fans “can be assured” the players will be ready for the season even if the lockout eliminates training camp.

“There are guys who have gotten together and are going to continue to get together in groups and work out and do our thing, and there will be some organized stuff going on later down the road,” Brooking said.

Citing a pact the players made not to publicize the workouts, Brooking declined to give specifics.

Coaches aren't allowed to have contact with players during the lockout, so it would be the responsibility of veterans like Brooking to oversee the practices.

Brooking said it's important the defensive players be in attendance so they can get a jump on implementing the system of new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

“We have to get the mental aspect of that down,” Brooking said of Ryan's version of the 3-4 defense. “It's up to us (team leaders) to get with the guys and go over that and try to be as prepared as we can when the time comes (for the season).”

:towel

Reaction score
He's washed up, but he's a leader.

I'd be open to keeping him around as a reserve linebacker, just for his leadership presence.

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't care what Brooking says. The team won't be ready if they miss training camp. There's a reason you have camp every year. Conducting player workouts now is good. I commend him for it. He's playing the hand dealt and making the best of it. But no way will the team be ready for the season if they miss the entire offseason.

I suppose since every team is in the same situation it's not a huge issue. But I do think the teams that have the same systems from last year will have an advantage.

It figures when we finally have a young, bright, energetic head coach and a Ryan taking over the defense, that it's in a year where there's no offseason to prepare.

Top Bottom