NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones: Rookie WR has caught my eye

Jon Machota

OXNARD, Calif. – Following Thursday’s practice, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was asked about players that have caught his eye during training camp.

Jones started mentioning the young receivers before specifically naming one player: rookie Lucky Whitehead.

“Lucky has been impressive out here,” Jones said. “He seems to always be there solid and he seems to be there in a football playing mood and position. And I like that. That’s hard to do for a rookie. This is a big adjustment. I think he’s doing well.”

Whitehead was a standout slot receiver at Florida Atlantic who went undrafted in May. He had several options as a rookie free agent, but chose the Cowboys after doing his homework.

“They know how to use smaller receivers and free agent guys,” Whitehead said. “And then I knew that Dwayne Harris had just left, so I knew that was a chance for me to get an opportunity to get that job.”

The 5-9, 180-pounder has been moved all over the field since organized team activities, both in the slot and on the outside. He’s even seen quite a bit of work with the first-team offense.

Whithead said working with the starters has probably been his most eye-opening NFL experience. One play in particular stands out from offseason workouts. A new offensive play was installed that required Whitehead to run a bubble route depending on if a certain defender came up or not.

“I ran the right route and Tony [Romo] threw me the ball,” he said. “He told me ‘good job’ and I was like OK. It’s great just to know that you’re doing your job and handling your business.”

Whitehead has quickly become a fan favorite. His first name, his playmaking ability and his long hair with signature red dyed tips certainly make him standout. Fans at training camp are constantly yelling his name. Whitehead says he’s also been getting a lot of tags on Twitter and Instagram from Cowboys fans.

“A lot of fans really love the name and then the kind of player that I am,” he said. “It’s kind of surprising because I’m a free agent, I mean, getting so much love that I’m getting.”

If Whitehead ends up making the 53-man roster, his biggest immediate impact will likely come on special teams. He’s an experienced kickoff returner, but most of his recent returning work has been coming on punts.

“As a punt returner, you just got to catch the ball,” he said. “On the JUGS machine it’s kind of easy because it just drops at a spot. When they’re punting it, it’s definitely new to me because they got a left-foot punter and a right-foot punter, and it hangs a lot longer. I just got to adjust to the way they punt.

“I think my first way of making this team is special teams, so I’m definitely embracing that.”

With three weeks of training camp remaining, Whitehead said he has one goal, ‘never go backwards.’

“I feel like I don’t want to be that same guy every day,” he said. “I want to come out here with good energy. I talk to myself in my room before I come out here. ‘Get ready. Let’s go.’ I wash my face off and I’m ready to go when I come out here.

“I’m trying to earn a job at the end of the day, so I can’t come out here lackadaisical, not knowing my stuff. I just come out here with high energy every time and show my effort.”

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Jerry Jones and wide receivers....I think the WR position is probably his favorite. He has certainly paid big prices in the past, both cash and draft picks to upgrade it, few successfully.

Joey Galloway, Roy Williams, TO....

I think the Cowboys have gotten far better value in the lower rounds, even free agency.

I think Jerry Jones admire WR's for their cockiness, confidence, and ability to provide fans with some of the most exciting big plays. He possibly identifies with that position more than any other on the team.

Reaction score
Is he fast, or just quick?

Also, could gaf less what Jerry's opinion of a player is.

Top Bottom