NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Why are the Cowboys offensive linemen always traveling in a pack?
Jon Machota

OXNARD, Calif. – It’s easy to find the offensive linemen at Cowboys training camp. They’re always together.

As players make their way onto the field to start each practice, they’re usually in groups no larger than two or three. Most walk or run out by themselves.

The offensive line? Always in a pack.

After practice? Same thing.

Before Sunday’s practice, each player walked onto the field with a child holding their helmet. It was part of the helmet carriers program sponsored by Albertsons. After each player posed for a picture, they jogged to the opposite field to stretch and warm up.

But not the offensive line. Each member, from Tyron Smith to R.J. Dill waited for the entire group to finish before heading to the other field.

“I think one of the things you’re always trying to emphasize is the bonds that guys develop and you hear me talk about and our team hears me talk about is shared commitment,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “If you think about that in life, when you have a shared commitment to something, guys work hard together at something, those bonds are strong and those guys work hard really each and every day.

“They’re the heartbeat of our football team. They’re the guys in the weight room earliest in the offseason. They spend lot of time together watching tape, doing extra stuff after practice and I think the bonds that they have are really strong and probably no more important position than offensive line to have strong bonds because the communication those guys need to have both verbally and instinctively is really, really important. I think the closer they are the better they’re going to be at that.”

All-Pro right guard Zack Martin said it’s something he’s been doing since his days at Notre Dame.

“We know how the offensive line works and how it’s a position that you have to have five guys together all the time,” Martin said. “If one of us screws up, we all screw up. We just try to do everything together as much as possible.

“No one has ever said, ‘hey, wait for everyone.’ It just kind of happens. I just think it goes with the importance of doing things together.”

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Great article.

Any time I hear Nate Newton talk about the line of the 90's he pretty much says the same thing, how they were really tight.

If there is any way to keep these guys together they will become a machine. They will be so cohesive that they will know exactly what the guy next to him is going to do in any given situation.

Reaction score
That's awesome.

Don't know if it really means anything tangible but still glad their a tight unit.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Just sickening to see Ginger trying to take credit for it, while later in the same article it's clear he has nothing at all to do with it. I just loathe this fucking fraud, this Charlatan.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's what he does, though. Deflect blame for the things that go wrong, claim credit for the things that go right.

Reaction score
Garrett doesn’t do that but whatever. He actually gave credit to the O-line coach. I actually heard the press conference.

Some of you guys need to get your head out of your asses. I think it shows a lack of knowledge when you refuse to give a head coach any credit for the team winning. I’m not talking about back handed compliments either. I’m also not talking about Statman’s extreme stance on Garrett. Just a general, hey this guy isn’t doing a bad job type credit.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think it shows a lack of knowledge when you refuse to give a head coach any credit for the team winning. I’m not talking about back handed compliments either. I’m also not talking about Statman’s extreme stance on Garrett. Just a general, hey this guy isn’t doing a bad job type credit.
He's HOW MUCH over .500? Winning?

When this team wins it is in spite of Garrett, not in any way because of.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Garrett doesn’t do that but whatever. He actually gave credit to the O-line coach. I actually heard the press conference.
He does exactly that.

Lose the 2010 opener on the last play of the first half with a playcall a decent high school coach wouldn't make? Hide from the media the next week.

Blow the iced kicker game in Arizona because you let over half a minute tick off the clock while the team stands around? Refuse to admit you'd do anything different and when the media questions what happened, offer a weak, "I don't have a good answer for you."

Find a way to lose yet another heartbreaker to Denver in 2013? Blame your franchise quarterback who has saved your ass and made you millions of dollars for years now in the press conference after the game. (This is what pisses me off most about Garrett, blaming Tony when he's the only reason JG has had any success at all here.)

On the other hand, OL plays great? Claim it was all your grand plan from the start even though it took years to implement and evidence points to the contrary.

But I guess you can keep believing the media narrative that he's a prince and a saint if you wish.

Reaction score
He does exactly that.

Lose the 2010 opener on the last play of the first half with a playcall a decent high school coach wouldn't make? Hide from the media the next week.

Blow the iced kicker game in Arizona because you let over half a minute tick off the clock while the team stands around? Refuse to admit you'd do anything different and when the media questions what happened, offer a weak, "I don't have a good answer for you."

Find a way to lose yet another heartbreaker to Denver in 2013? Blame your franchise quarterback who has saved your ass and made you millions of dollars for years now in the press conference after the game. (This is what pisses me off most about Garrett, blaming Tony when he's the only reason JG has had any success at all here.)

On the other hand, OL plays great? Claim it was all your grand plan from the start even though it took years to implement and evidence points to the contrary.

But I guess you can keep believing the media narrative that he's a prince and a saint if you wish.

I am not going to defend all the shit in the past. All those topics have been beaten to death. Give it up already. Move on.

I am talking about Garrett TODAY. What the team is today is a product of his doing. Not complete but he has been involved in everything. If the team wins or fails is to his credit. Don’t do that fag shit of...team wins, credit someone else. Team loses, blame Garrett. That shit is so fucking lame.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That is complete bullshit. Garrett’s hand is in everything. I don’t know if it’s denial or just a lack of knowledge. Probably both.
Not play calling anymore. How many coaches in the history of the NFL were offensive coordinators, were promoted to HC and still called the plays, then had the play calling duties stripped? ONE.
I am talking about Garrett TODAY. What the team is today is a product of his doing. Not complete but he has been involved in everything. If the team wins or fails is to his credit. Don’t do that fag shit of...team wins, credit someone else. Team loses, blame Garrett. That shit is so fucking lame.
What exactly, are the advantages Garrett gives us on game day? Name just one please.

What's his win/loss record again?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I am not going to defend all the shit in the past.
Because none of it is defensible, and you already forgot you already tried to defend it by saying "Garrett doesn't do that but whatever" when the facts are, he does it all the time.

Did you forget he said after the Tennessee game last year that running the ball too much was messing Romo's passing abilities up? That teams which run the ball too much screw up the quarterback?

THIS is the educated idiot you're defending.

Reaction score
Not play calling anymore. How many coaches in the history of the NFL were offensive coordinators, were promoted to HC and still called the plays, then had the play calling duties stripped? ONE.

He stopped calling plays and the team still went 8-8. Play calling wasn’t the problem. Anyone can call a good game with an O-line like this. Play calling is over rated. It comes down to execution and preparation. That’s created in training camp where Jason Garrett is ruler of it. I am surprised how posters can be so ignorant in the duties of a HC. They think it begins and ends with play calling and game management. There is a lot more to it than that.

Take time away from jerking your chicken and go watch the training camp player interviews. Every one of these players repeat the things Garrett says. You may still be in denial but the entire franchise has bought into JG.

I am not defending JG. It’s like trying to defend evolution to Christians. They are too dumb to get it.

Reaction score
(This is what pisses me off most about Garrett, blaming Tony when he's the only reason JG has had any success at all here.)

Definitely noticed this too. Jason isn't afraid to throw Romo under the bus.

Ironic thing is, once Romo is gone, Garrett will be further exposed as the fraud he is.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Exx, Garrett is good at some things. He's a good politician. He's good at selling himself to people. He's good at grinning and clapping and taking orders from his bosses.

To me, giving him credit for things he's not really responsible for (giving up playcalling, Marinelli, the draft, etc) is like the people who watch two NFL games a year and claim Tony Romo sucks and is a choker and is the reason Dallas doesn't win a Superbowl.

But again, suit yourself.

Top Bottom