C

Cr122

August 19 2010

Cowboys Mailbag
Who has been the most impressive rookie so far?

(Editor's Note: Each day we will take the 2 best questions for our staff writers to answer from the Mailbag. "Click here" to email questions now.)

SHANE RONE - SPRING, TX: Who has been the most impressive rookie so far?

Rob: Even though he hasn't practiced in nearly three weeks, Dez Bryant. He figures to have the most significant impact of any draft pick. Most, including Bryant, have been banged up at some point in camp. Supplemental pick Josh Brent has a real chance to make the team. He's pretty disruptive at nose tackle.

Nick: Dez Bryant. Even with just one week, I'd say him because no one else has really done much. But if I had to say someone else, I'd say Sam Young, the sixth-round pick from Notre Dame. But we'll find out just how good he is in the next two weeks with Colombo out.

Josh: None of the others have approached what Dez Bryant was able to show in not quite a week of practice. The guy was simply dazzling. I've also liked Sam Young, and don't forget about Danny McCray just based on what he does on special teams. He could make an instant impact there. But yeah, it's still Dez.

ALDO ORTEGA - HILLIARD, OH: I haven't heard much about Alan Ball throughout the first two preseason games. How has he looked?

Rob: Steady. Haven't seen the secondary miss a beat with him back there. They have good communication, and as Wade Phillips pointed out, Ball's corner experience should lead to some takeaways. That's really the one thing the defense has been missing.

Nick: That's probably a good thing he hasn't been talked about. He's not getting beat deep and he's making a few plays. It's still early, but so far so good with him.

Josh: He's doing fine. Haven't heard any complaints and he hasn't done anything to make a negative impression in the first two preseason games. Interested to see if he can get around the ball more, though the defense has been playing well enough that you wouldn't notice him arriving late.

Top Bottom