C

Cr122

Cowboys Mailbag
Three games in, what do you think about playing five preseason games?

(Editor's Note: Each day we will take the 2 best questions for our staff writers to answer from the Mailbag. "Click here" to email questions now.)

LAURENCE DAVIS - INDIANAPOLIS, IN: Three games in, what do you think about playing five preseason games? I'm reading about some grumblings from fans that maybe it's too much.

Nick: Maybe? Yeah, it's about two games too many, maybe even three. I'm starting to see how pointless these games really are. Just play two games, and maybe another controlled scrimmage against someone else. That's good enough.

Rob: Well since many believe four games is excessive, I'd be inclined to agree five is too much. It was a treat for the franchise to play the night after Emmitt's induction, but there are pros and cons. Pro: you get more time to evaluate your young/bubble players. Con: it's one more injury risk to your starters.

Josh: I'm thinking five is way too many. That this team used to play five every year, and before that six, makes me cringe. That's painful. But I don't know if two preseason games is enough, either. Maybe if it was two with a scrimmage or work against another team that would work.

AARON KAPLAN - BRONX, NY: Is it just me, or did the first team defense seem to miss, or get run through, on a lot of tackle attempts Saturday. What's the reason?

Nick: Maybe it's because the guys don't tackle in practice. Now, Wade Phillips said Tuesday that wasn't the case at all. But I would imagine the reason you practice everything is to get better at it. That's why you run the same routes over and over or make the same throws over and over. So if you haven't tackled at all since last year's Minnesota playoff game, then you would think to be somewhat rusty on the tackling in the preseason. Then again, I see Wade's point in that why would we want to tackle each other and risk more injury. So if it means a little bit of sloppy play in the preseason games, rather than bringing your own team to the ground, I'm for it.

Rob: Seemed like a lot of arm tackling, and there's less margin for error that way. It doesn't mean they need to tackle in practice; Wade Phillips believes there's more injury risk, and he's right. Just have to be more technically sound.

Josh: I don't think it was so much to worry about because the tackling wasn't bad in the first two games. That Ryan Mathews was a tough runner. There's also an idea that the Cowboys were tired or flat for the game. Camp's wearing on them at this point, I think. That's why they've gone even softer in practice this week. Either way they've got five preseason games to improve their form.

Top Bottom