C

Cr122

August 20 2010

Cowboys Mailbag
Who is the camp dark horse right now, the guy who might emerge to make the team who we are currently writing off?

(Editor's Note: Each day we will take the 2 best questions for our staff writers to answer from the Mailbag. "Click here" to email questions now.)

DAVID FARRIS - ATKINSON, NH: Who is the camp dark horse right now, the guy who might emerge to make the team who we are currently writing off?

Nick: Well, I just wrote a story about Danny McCray, so he's the first name that comes to my mind. I think he makes the team for sure because of his special teams play. I'd also say Phil Costa, Chris Gronkowski and I'm thinking Bryan McCann all make it. Of course, that'd be four undrafted rookie free agents that make the team. That's a little high, but you never know.

Rob: How about Pat Watkins. There seems to be a sense that Danny McCray or Barry Church will take his job because they're younger with cheaper contracts. But there's a lot of time left in preseason. Watkins is back on the field, and the Cowboys know what they have in him. He's arguably been their most productive special-teamer the last few seasons.

Josh: I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see this McQuistan sneak on for a fifth straight year. I don't think he's going to ever be a starter in the league, but he's got experience in the Cowboys' system, more than a Robert Brewster or Sam Young or Travis Bright, and he can play guard or tackle. Given the current injury situation on the line, the Cowboys might value that flexibility.

GARY SMITH - ATLANTA, GA: Has Sam Hurd shown enough ability as a receiver to challenge Patrick Crayton for a roster spot?

Nick: Yes, I think he's shown enough as a receiver. I wouldn't say there is a huge difference between the two when it comes to receiver, giving a slight edge to Crayton. However, Hurd has a bigger edge on special teams and is a little cheaper. If it comes down to those two, I think Hurd has a chance to stick around.

Rob: At this point, I'd be shocked if Crayton wasn't here to start the season. He's been as steady as any receiver out here. Hurd is still favored to stick around, too, but Jesse Holley was doing a great job on special teams before he hurt his hamstring.

Josh: I think Crayton stays. Hurd can play receiver in this league. He's a No. 3, maybe, at least a good No. 4. But Crayton is a really good No. 4, and he can contribute in other ways, as a punt returner, maybe a holder, and he's got a great feel for Tony Romo. Hurd's tender contract, $1.759 million, is a big burden for a guy who is primarily going to be covering kicks.

Top Bottom