Reaction score
By Rainer Sabin
rsabin@dallasnews.com
7:08 pm on March 4, 2014 | Permalink

The Cowboys want to keep their all-time sacks leader but not at his current salary.

That’s what the team told defensive end DeMarcus Ware, according to a league source.

The fact that the Cowboys have delivered this news to Ware, their seven-time Pro Bowler, is not a surprise. Last month, the club’s executive vice president Stephen Jones said the Cowboys couldn’t afford to keep Ware if the financial figures in his contract weren’t adjusted. Ware carries a $16.003 million cap number and a $12.25 million base salary.

“Can he count $16 million? No,” Jones said at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. “We would have to restructure, or … there is a bunch of options. You can restructure, you can take a pay cut, and obviously not have the player.”

Ware expressed after the end of last season he was unwilling to play for a reduced salary. In 2013, Ware collected a career-low six sacks as he battled through a series of injuries. This off-season, he underwent an operation on his right elbow to repair nerve damage. The toll his body has taken has weighed on Cowboys executives’ minds as they have discussed the 31-year-old’s future with the club.

“DeMarcus is paid like the best player on defense,” owner Jerry Jones said in February. “You’ve got to look if you have your legs. Legs are the first thing to go. Do you have your legs? You got to look at a lot of things here. As we evaluate either or — in other words this is not a question of not having players out there playing playing, it’s a question of, if not DeMarcus, [then] who. No one, no one has been a better and is a better Dallas Cowboy than DeMarcus Ware.”

Although the Cowboys are now roughly $1 million over the payroll ceiling mandated by the NFL after restructuring the contracts of quarterback Tony Romo, linebacker Sean Lee and cornerback Orlando Scandrick, the scope of their plans in free agency will be directly affected by how the Ware situation is resolved.

Now the ball is rolling in the process toward figuring out what to do with Ware.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
“You’ve got to look if you have your legs. Legs are the first thing to go. Do you have your legs? You got to look at a lot of things here. As we evaluate either or — in other words this is not a question of not having players out there playing playing, it’s a question of, if not DeMarcus, [then] who. No one, no one has been a better and is a better Dallas Cowboy than DeMarcus Ware.”

That's what I like about Jerry. No beating around the bush with him about the football side of things.

I mean, this guy knows that it's your legs that go first. Can you believe that?

And Ware has had so many leg problems recently...

Iamtdg

Reaction score
That's what I like about Jerry. No beating around the bush with him about the football side of things.

I mean, this guy knows that it's your legs that go first. Can you believe that?

And Ware has had so many leg problems recently...

Jerry must have watched the Rocky series.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm glad they are asking for a pay cut.

I'd like him to stay, but his salary has to be cut in half at the very least.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Guy was great.

That said, I hope he refuses a pay cut, then gets released.

I don't even want the guy at half salary. He wasnt even a quarter of his usual self last year, IMO.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He wasnt even a quarter of his usual self last year, IMO.

He was pretty explosive those first 3 games, then the injuries derailed him.

I'd like to see him stay another year and see what happens, but hopefully at a salary that's reduced enough for us to make a couple other moves.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If I hear "but but he dominated Tyron Smith in camp!" one more effing time....

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I was about to say, I heard he was "Tearing it up!" in camp. Then he goes out and gets 6 sacks last season.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I was about to say, I heard he was "Tearing it up!" in camp. Then he goes out and gets 6 sacks last season.

The pounding of the 4-3 was more than our numbnut braintrust prepared for.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
How are salary reductions handled? I'm assuming it is just a contract restructure that reduces the salary. You're always on the hook for the prorated signing bonus, correct?

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The pounding of the 4-3 was more than our numbnut braintrust prepared for.

He was undersized to be going up against 320 lb lineman however many snaps a game.

It just didn't work. He probably would have been really good at it 2 years ago.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Could just be his neck injury is affecting every nerve in his body. Why he had to get correction surgery on the nerves in his elbow.

Top Bottom