Reaction score
Yeah, it's really sad. Seems to me like there's less and less analysis and more and more superficiality - at least on the marquee games, which seems backwards. Collinsworth's comment reminded me of Gruden, who talks everything up like what you're watching right now is the greatest thing ever. Jacksonville and St Louis could be playing and you'd think there were seven or eight Hall of Famers on the field from the way he was talking.

Gruden seems like a man desperately trying to remain in the good graces of every single franchise just in case one comes calling with a coaching gig.

When Mark Cuban went on air and destroyed Skip Bayless, he was completely correct about announcers and "experts" these days. There seems to be zero prep work involved other than quickly scanning the injury report, and they all just speak in generalities, no matter how cliche.

The shit that they are still saying about Romo frankly does not apply anymore. The guy is pure lethal, and a warrior. He missed almost no time last season for an injury that would have put Mike Vick out for 2 months. As bbgun has said numerous times, Romo is not only the best QB in franchise history, but probably the best player in general. I agree, bb.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think the nod still has to go to either the all time leading rusher or the best guard in history. I mean Emmitt and LA are the best players of all time (regardless of team) at their position.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I hope so.

Maybe I have been tricked into thinking Seattle is better than they are! I think there defense looked pretty good in preseason.

Seattle worries me. Its not that I believe they are really good, but they are really good at home even in years when they dont have such a good team. Very tough place to play when their fans are into it.

I do think they have a pretty decent defense, with the crowd noise it could be a tough game.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Seattle worries me. Its not that I believe they are really good, but they are really good at home even in years when they dont have such a good team. Very tough place to play when their fans are into it.

I do think they have a pretty decent defense, with the crowd noise it could be a tough game.

It's also their Home opener so their fans (great fans) will be extra hyped.

Thanks NFL. I keep telling myself that after Week 2 we will have 8 out of 14 home games.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
over the past three years seattle is 13-11 at home. that's one game over .500

Home crowd can't make up for the fact that they have no talent and are starting a short rookie at QB.

Reaction score

It’s going to be a good test. Interested to see how Seattle does this weekend against Arizona. Is that Wilson kid the real deal? I don’t think they have a good wide receiver core.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Home crowd can't make up for the fact that they have no talent and are starting a short rookie at QB.

You're proably right about that SP.

Reaction score
That Seattle game last year really wasn't that close. We were up 23-6 before they scored a late TD. That's with a Dez fumble on the 1 yard line, so should have been 31-6. Wilson will probably be better than Tavaris Jackson, but he'll be making his second start. And they'll be at home, but I don't think that's enough to make up for the disparity in these two teams.

Reaction score
For the longest time I loved Al michaels, dan dierdorf and frank gifford. I always that they were a great mix in the boothe and that they fit that big time game really well. After last season and then just rewatching the game tonight with the tv broadcast I actually think AL and Chris are pretty poor. They pay not attention to details at all anymore, they do nothing but talk about the most obvious generic things and a lot of the time they are not correct on those last night.

When frequent substitution packages become popular in the NFL, television sportscasters stopped trying to keep track of who was and was not in the game. Detail was lost.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

The Seahawks probably have the best safety tandem in the league with Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. I so fucking wanted the Cowboys to get Kam. The Seahawks took him in the 5th round, while we spent a 4th rounder on AOA and tried converting him from a CB to safety. BRILLIANT! On our scouting.

Reaction score
Be careful, Russell Wilson is a little romo himself. Their DB's are good and Bruce Irvin could be a Trent cole type nightmare matchup

If Garrett hangs mouse traps up in the lOcker room we should be ok.

Reaction score

The stage is set for multiple takeaways by the Dallas defense.

Mr X

Reaction score
As bbgun has said numerous times, Romo is not only the best QB in franchise history, but probably the best player in general. I agree, bb.

Is this some sort of inside joke?

Anyway, great write up Theebs. I hope the team can build on such an important win. They have the tendency to get full of themselves. But like others have mentioned, this team already feels and looks different.

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
yea I thought that hit to Romo's helmet should have been a penalty

please some one help

Reaction score
A look back: Cowboys press heavy vs. Giants
September, 7, 2012
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – The NFL’s new All-22 access will be a great tool during the season with the ability to look at the coaches’ tape on games. The Cowboys' 24-17 win against the New York Giants on Wednesday was posted today and here are some tidbits from our weekly look-back feature:

** In training camp it was obvious the Cowboys would use more press coverage than they had in the past. It fits with Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne, as well as Mike Jenkins once he gets healthy. The New York Giants had 54 snaps and the Cowboys played press or half-press in 42 of them. They were in full press 27 times and half press (at least one corner on the line) 15 times. They played off coverage 10 times and just three times in the second half. (Two snaps were in goal line personnel.)

Carr and Claiborne would mix how they went at the Giants wide receivers with their jams. Sometimes they would get their hands on the wide out; other times they would fake a jam, which would slow the receiver’s release.

** Jason Witten only caught two passes for 10 yards, but you can attribute some of Kevin Ogletree’s numbers to the tight end, specifically that last catch on third and 10. Giants linebacker Jacquian Williams blitzed after lining up over Witten, forcing safety Antrel Rolle to stick with Witten over the top for a second as Ogletree ran the slant and pick up 13 yards. It was a well thought out play that took advantage of how the Giants corners were playing.

** Let’s look at the goal-line stand in the second quarter. Most of the time it takes everybody to stop a team from the 1 but it also takes tremendous individual efforts.

On first down, Anthony Spencer fended off TE Bear Pascoe, which slowed the fullback in his lead block and forced Ahmad Bradshaw wide. Spencer was able to ride Bradshaw out of bounds.

On second down, the Giants went to Bradshaw again and Marcus Spears blew up the play by playing traffic cop and Josh Brent was able to fill in for the tackle.

On third down, the Giants wanted an illegal contact penalty on Orlando Scandrick, and he did grab Victor Cruz. But the grab came after Cruz pushed off Scandrick to create more separation. I’m sure there will be plays like this where the Cowboys don’t benefit later this year.

** We always talk about a quarterback’s arm or his legs. We don’t talk enough about his eyes. On Tony Romo’s deep ball to Dez Bryant for 38 yards in the second quarter, his eyes made the play. At the snap, Romo kept his eyes down the middle of the field, forcing safety Kenny Phillips into the hashmark and creating a bigger lane for the pass to Bryant after he beat the corner. There was no way Phillips could cover enough ground to get there in time, but Romo helped himself by creating more room.

** Romo was terrific against the Giants. He could have been better than 22 of 29 in some ways. Maybe 26 of 29 if he was able to get his feet right a couple more times. He missed Felix Jones twice, including a dump off that Jones should have caught. He fired a missile at Jason Witten from close range in the second half. And on a throw to Kevin Ogletree in the end zone, if he was able to throw off his left foot instead of his right after getting flushed out of the pocket, he would have had Ogletree in the end zone. As it was Ogletree did a nice job of making sure the pass wasn’t picked.

** Josh Brent went unnoticed during the game, but he was terrific, especially early in the game against the run. He did more than just eat up the Giants’ line. He was able to create some penetration. In fact, the line was good all night, which is why the linebackers were four of the top five tacklers in the game.

** Doug Free should have been penalized for holding on DeMarco Murray’s 48-yard run. His arms were outside of Mathias Kiwanuka’s shoulders after getting beat on the snap.

** Anthony Spencer didn’t have a sack but he was active. If you’re looking for why Jason Hatcher was able to drop Eli Manning in the fourth quarter, give Spencer some credit for the pressure that sent Manning that way.

Reaction score
Giant issue: Corey Webster couldn't cover Cowboys WRs, either
September, 7, 2012
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – A depleted cornerback corps was the Giants’ primary personnel concern entering the season opener.

That continues to be the case after Tony Romo picked apart the New York secondary for 307 yards and three touchdowns.

However, it’s inaccurate to say the Cowboys simply exploited the Giants’ weak links over and over again. Sure, they had success against Michael Coe and Justin Tryon, a couple of journeyman corners forced into significant roles because of injuries to Terrell Thomas (season-ending torn ACL) and Prince Amukamara (high ankle sprain).

But the Cowboys had their most success in the air when attacking Corey Webster, the Giants’ best corner.

The Cowboys completed six of seven passes for 145 yards and a touchdown when targeting Webster. The lone incompletion was a dropped interception when Romo threw an ill-advised pass right to Webster after scrambling in the first quarter.

All four of Dez Bryant's catches for 85 yards, including a 38-yard deep ball, came against Webster. Kevin Ogletree, whose first touchdown came when he split a pair of linebackers in zone coverage, torched Webster on a stop-and-go for his 40-yard score. And Miles Austin had a 20-yard reception on a deep out the lone time he was thrown the ball while matched up against the Giants’ top corner.

The Cowboys were 4-of-6 for 37 yards against Coe, with Ogletree the intended receiver on each occasion. They exploited Tryon after Coe left with a tweaked hamstring, completing all three passes thrown his way for 61 yards, including the 34-yard KO TD to Austin on a jump ball down the left sideline.

“We knew their corner situation, but we wanted our receivers to go against their corners,” coach Jason Garrett said when asked about game-planning to attack weak links. “I think if you looked at the game we completed passes against every one of those corners, the guys who’d been playing a lot and also guys that not played as much. I think it’s important to understand the pattern vs. the coverage and where the ball needs to go, and I thought Tony did a really good job throughout the game last night.

“I thought our guys won on a consistent basis against all their guys.”

Webster was no exception. In fact, the Cowboys victimized the veteran starter more than anyone else.

Reaction score
** Josh Brent went unnoticed during the game, but he was terrific, especially early in the game against the run. He did more than just eat up the Giants’ line. He was able to create some penetration. In fact, the line was good all night, which is why the linebackers were four of the top five tacklers in the game.

The human square.

20120730_ajl_aj4_135_extra_large.jpg

He's the kind of non-star player that teams need to win.

Top Bottom