Reaction score
Cowboys don’t intend to pick up option on their 2012 first-round pick CB Morris Claiborne

by David Moore

The Cowboys have no intention of exercising the option for a fifth season on Morris Claiborne’s contract, but no official announcement is expected until after the draft, a source said.

In recent days, 15 players have had their options picked up by clubs that selected them in the first round of the 2012 draft. Claiborne isn’t among them and the source said he’s “not a priority’’ at the moment as the club focuses on the draft.

Sunday is the deadline for picking up the cornerback’s option.

Claiborne continues to rehabilitate from a torn patellar tendon that kept him off the field for the final three months of last season. The cornerback has missed a total of 18 regular season games over the last two years and his status for the start of training camp is uncertain.

“He is working hard coming back from his injuries,’’ head coach Jason Garrett said recently. “He has been dealing with injuries throughout his career. We certainly haven’t seen the best of Mo Claiborne yet.

“I know he has been working hard this offseason. He is someone we have a lot of confidence in, a lot of belief in.

“He is a little under the radar right now. We are certainly hopeful. He continues to work hard and get better physically to come back and put his best foot forward.’’

Claiborne signed a four-year, $16.2 million contract as the sixth player selected in the ’12 draft. He’s scheduled to make $2.6 million this season and count $5.175 million against the salary cap.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If Claiborne is shocked or hurt by this decision, he is dumber than any of us imagined.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
For those of you who have messaged me privately, DCU has declined to pick up Dbair's option too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
For those of you who have messaged me privately, DCU has declined to pick up Dbair's option too.

what if we throw in one more Disney star?

Here's a message:

Fight-for-your-right-to%E2%80%A6give-the-finger.jpg

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't see how they could. That's a very serious injury he suffered. He could barely play before and he won't be better after this.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't see how they could. That's a very serious injury he suffered. He could barely play before and he won't be better after this.

Exactly.

I think the only reason he is even on the roster right now is because 1) they cant cut him w/o an injury settlement and 2) his salary this yr is guaranteed anyway I think.

May as well hold onto him till camp and see if he can try and make the team.

I think he is gone after final cutdowns though. The injury he has is really bad.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Exactly.

I think the only reason he is even on the roster right now is because 1) they cant cut him w/o an injury settlement and 2) his salary this yr is guaranteed anyway I think.

May as well hold onto him till camp and see if he can try and make the team.

I think he is gone after final cutdowns though. The injury he has is really bad.

When can the Cowboys cut him and be off the hook for an injury settlement?

Reaction score
His salary this year is guaranteed, isn't it? If so they won't cut him even if he sucks.

Yeah, and at this point isn't it is difficult to believe that he won't suck?

I'd like to see him return kickoffs this year. He did a fine job of it at LSU. Not sure he has all that much else to offer, really.

Reaction score
His salary this year is guaranteed, isn't it? If so they won't cut him even if he sucks.
Yeah there's no way he is anywhere but on this roster for 2015. They may PUP him or put him on IR, but he's not gonna get cut. Even if they didn't think he was worthy of a spot, Jerry will never tacitly admit that he's that big of a bust by just turning him loose. He gets every opportunity to try to make good on that investment.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
When can the Cowboys cut him and be off the hook for an injury settlement?

He has to be able to fully practice I believe, then they dont have to pay an injury settlement.

But his salary is guaranteed. Its 2.6 mils but there's be no dead money for 2016 if they cut him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah there's no way he is anywhere but on this roster for 2015. They may PUP him or put him on IR, but he's not gonna get cut. Even if they didn't think he was worthy of a spot, Jerry will never tacitly admit that he's that big of a bust by just turning him loose. He gets every opportunity to try to make good on that investment.

I'm sure he'll get a chance to make the team, but if he sux I dont see them wasting a roster spot on him again, especially if they have some new CB's they like.

He could end up on IR if he never recovers. For him it doesnt really matter because he will get paid either way. If he isnt going to play I would think he'd prefer to be cut loose and try to catch on somewhere else.

Unless he shows something positive (which I dont think will happen because of how bad the injury is) I cant see him being here.

Top Bottom