NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
@RapSheet: The #Cowboys claimed Jordan Mills, source said, after the #Bears waived him yesterday.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
@robphillips3: LB Jasper Brinkley will be released to make room for Jordan Mills.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
From PFT:

The Cowboys have one of the league’s best and deepest offensive lines anyway, but added some more depth today.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Cowboys claimed former Bears tackle Jordan Mills off waivers.

Mills had 29 starts in his first two seasons, but was cut by the Bears yesterday as they tweaked their roster.

The former fifth-rounder from Louisiana Tech gives the Cowboys a backup tackle with some experience, along with Darrion Weems.

The Cowboys are cutting linebacker Jasper Brinkley to clear the roster spot.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Just reading a little bit about him.... It seems like he was a powerful run blocker with the Bears but was so horrid in pass protection and the Bears didn't know how to fix him. Read his confidence took a shot in 2013 when he injuried his ankle. This year he got beat out by some guy named Leno but even Leno wasn't good enough to start and is currently their swing tackle. Kyle Long was moved out to RT to start.

Maybe being around our group of lineman he'll get his confidence back and learn a thing or two. Seems like we have a project on our hands. Fortunately tho he has some starting experience.

Reaction score
Why aren't we giving Collins a shot at swing tackle with plans of him replacing Free next year?

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Seems like they want him replacing Leary instead.. Possibly Chaz Green as future RT?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Why aren't we giving Collins a shot at swing tackle with plans of him replacing Free next year?

I think someone asked they said they really wanted him to just concentrate on G this yr, then look at maybe moving him next yr.

Honestly I think they believed he would beat out Leary for the LG spot (and he still may this yr at some point), but if he cant win the LG spot he certainly isn't ready to play OT if he had to play there.

I like the Mills signing. Certainly not a star but a young guy who has started for most of two seasons. Certainly feel better with him as the 3rd OT than Weems.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think someone asked they said they really wanted him to just concentrate on G this yr, then look at maybe moving him next yr.

Honestly I think they believed he would beat out Leary for the LG spot (and he still may this yr at some point), but if he cant win the LG spot he certainly isn't ready to play OT if he had to play there.

I like the Mills signing. Certainly not a star but a young guy who has started for most of two seasons. Certainly feel better with him as the 3rd OT than Weems.

I doubt it. He's very, very inconsistent.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There were some boneheads at CZ complaining about cutting Brinkley and "throwing away 2 million" but here is another reason why they did it:

Nick Korte ‎@nickkorte

The Cowboys cutting Jasper Brinkley ensures that they will get 4 compensatory picks in 2016 even if Anthony Spencer does not qualify.

6:32 PM - 7 Sep 2015

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not a good one, it seems. Leary and Berny are ahead of him.

He played ot in college. We have a need. It's a premium position. He's a blue chip player. Free sucks.

I just don't get it.

Of course you dont

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Not a good one, it seems. Leary and Berny are ahead of him.

He played ot in college. We have a need. It's a premium position. He's a blue chip player. Free sucks.

I just don't get it.

He's not quick enough laterally to move well enough in his kickslide when DEs try to get the outside on him.

He's better in those confined spaces inside at OG.

It's just like Zach Martin played OT in college; very well I might add. But he's limited outside due to his size, or lack thereof, arm length, whatever. Collins has the size but is limited outside because of his movement skills.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Scouting Report: Judging Jordan Mills' Credentials For Swing Tackle
Tuesday, September 08, 2015 9:05 AM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout
@BryanBroaddus

Name: Jordan Mills
Position: OT
College: Louisiana Tech
Height: 6-5
Weight: 316
Draft: 163rd overall by Chicago, 2013
Games Studied: 2014 regular season vs. SF, GB, DAL

Report: Mills lined up at right tackle for the Bears. For the most part he competed well, but there were snaps where I thought he lacked that finishing push – you don't see that nastiness down after down like you see with this Cowboys offensive line.

He will let his man off the hook instead of finishing the job. Appeared to play with football intelligence and assignment awareness. I did not see him make any mental mistakes or wind up completely out of position when working with the guard. I also did not see much initial quickness or foot speed in his game off the snap or into his blocks. Tends to play flat footed and with limited knee bend, but he is able to get away with this because of his upper body strength and power.
Unlike most of the Cowboys’ offensive linemen, Mills does not have a big punch but instead will extend his hands and hold the defender in place. There are snaps where he will get broken down technique-wise and still manage to hold up. I didn't see him get driven back or taken to the quarterback on a pass rush. He doesn't have ideal body control or balance. I would say that he has slow feet and it causes him to set overextended -- but surprisingly, in the games I studied, he didn't give up the corner.

Where rushers did cause him some issues was when they came inside on him – he just wasn't quick enough to close the door completely on them. He played the majority of his snaps in a two-point stance, and I believe this affected the way he run blocked one-on-one. I didn't see the strength that you saw in pass protection. Didn't sustain as well. Was better when he could angle or down block because he would just use his mass to shield the defender.
I did not see him pull or work in space on screens, but because of his lack of foot quickness, I would have some concerns in him having success doing this.

In watching Jordan Mills play, I don't believe you have a swing tackle here. I see a right tackle only -- which means that Darrion Weems will likely just focus on that left side and work to improve there.

Top Bottom