Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
The writeup from Broaddus is generally positive though. He thinks he'll be a WILL LB here because of his movement skills.

Reaction score
I've been puzzled by the Ryan Williams situation.

The Cowboys liked him enough to sign him to a two-year deal, but didn't like him enough to play him last regular season (even when Murray was banged up).

.... Apparently the (partial) answer is this: Williams simply did not want to leave Dallas. http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2015/05/rb-ryan-williams-cowboys-made-me-fall-in-love-with-football.html/.

.... The main thing I got out of Sturm's breakdown of Williams (link).... apparently the team simply hasn't trusted Williams' pass blocking/blitz pickup.

.... The most interesting factoid in Sturm's breakdown of Randle (link): Last year Randle averaged only 5.8 snaps per game; even less than Dunbar's 8.75 snaps per game.

After reading these Sturm blogs, I have (even) less confidence in the current RBs. I really do hope that the Cowboys add someone new to the mix. Perhaps in a trade. Perhaps another team's salary cap casualty.

I don't have much faith in the drab four (Dunbar, McFadden, Randle, and Williams) nor much hope for Synjyn Days.

Reaction score
I think we need to tap the brakes on the "this O-line" thing. Unless we are talking about playcalling and/or the scheme having heavy contribution to the success of the offense, the O line can't be considered anything great until it does something great: usually that means the success of the running back and or the protection of the QB. Last year, the RB was record setting and league leading so, safely speaking, you could conclude that OLine showed at least that Callahan designed and called Running plays were successful with this group. Was it the plays, the O line or the runningback? We will see. But that group also gave up 29 sacks of Romo in 15 games in what some call Romo's best year with his best running game support he has ever had. That's only 6 sacks less than one of Romo's worst years in taking a beating. Scheme argument and playcall argument aside, the O-line crowning has to wait until after the success of the either the running game or the pass protection (or both). Right now they are just some great specimen who have a good chance. Imagine a team with the two fastest WRs in the league (maybe ever), the all time leading rusher and the leagues strongest player. How great would you think the chances were for success? Imagine 2001.

This current O line has nothing other than hope that they can at least have some or most of the success from last year. But I don't know how that is going to be measured other than running back production in yards or TDs and/or QB protection.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think we need to tap the brakes on the "this O-line" thing. Unless we are talking about playcalling and/or the scheme having heavy contribution to the success of the offense, the O line can't be considered anything great until it does something great: usually that means the success of the running back and or the protection of the QB. Last year, the RB was record setting and league leading so, safely speaking, you could conclude that OLine showed at least that Callahan designed and called Running plays were successful with this group. Was it the plays, the O line or the runningback? We will see. But that group also gave up 29 sacks of Romo in 15 games in what some call Romo's best year with his best running game support he has ever had. That's only 6 sacks less than one of Romo's worst years in taking a beating. Scheme argument and playcall argument aside, the O-line crowning has to wait until after the success of the either the running game or the pass protection (or both). Right now they are just some great specimen who have a good chance. Imagine a team with the two fastest WRs in the league (maybe ever), the all time leading rusher and the leagues strongest player. How great would you think the chances were for success? Imagine 2001.

This current O line has nothing other than hope that they can at least have some or most of the success from last year. But I don't know how that is going to be measured other than running back production in yards or TDs and/or QB protection.
Tony wasn't as mobile as he's been in the past and it's a wait and see thing to see if he regains mobility. I saw many times where our linemen at different times simply got beat on the pass rush too though.

But your overall point is spot on - this line really hasn't done anything yet and the point is coming soon, 2-3 years from now - where we won't be able to afford to keep it. All these guys will have to be re-signed at some point.

Reaction score
The OL had three young Pro-Bowlers and the NFL's leading rusher. There were some amazingly dominant individual plays ... blocking 10 ft+ wide running lanes ... giving Romo a ridiculous amount of time.

Statistically, the OL was average-ish in sacks allowed. Of course Romo also had an outstanding passer rating ... and some of that should go to his OL.

Sure, feel free to tap the breaks on GOAT, and yes, of course the RB matters, but this OL is clearly no worse than very good.

The OL will be challenged next season, though. They are going up against some strong DLs and defenses (e.g., Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Panthers, Seahawks)

Reaction score
From today's OTAs -

Ryan Williams is sitting out with a knee issue (swollen).

Apparent contradiction - Garrett tells media he spoke with Randle about meat-on-the-bone quote. Later, Randle is asked by media if Garrett had talked to him about the quote. Randle answers "Not at all."

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score

I agree that the O-line has been overhyped to say the least. Then again, there is this:

During the last four regular season games Room threw 13 TD's and 1 Into and qaa sacked only 5 times, fifth least in that period.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Been talking to The Sandman about trying to get him to join... The Sandman and The Statman, all we would need then is Batman!

:batsignal

Top Bottom