icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

He could still end up the starting RT and Collins might move to LG, but that wont be determined until after the draft.

This move doesn't preclude us from still using an early pick on an OL that could walk in and start.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He could still end up the starting RT and Collins might move to LG, but that wont be determined until after the draft.

This move doesn't preclude us from still using an early pick on an OL that could walk in and start.

i dont know shit but the draftniks all agree the strength of this draft across the oline is in the middle. nobody really jumping out like years past like tyron, conklin, tunsil. but this is the yr of quenton nelson, hernandez, price, wynn

collins was trending upwards at RT in 2nd half of last yr but was outplayed by leary when he was at G the yr before. not to take away from leary, but if you got a guy like collins who is looking better (and not worse) as the season went on, why move him? they try to get so cute w this position flex bullshit. dallas already proved they can plug in a journeyman at LG and keep on rolling.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
nvm i give up this team is fucking stupid

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^^^

tweets that will allow me to explain post above:

C H E M I S T R Y

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
nvm i give up this team is fucking stupid

Why is saying they want the 5 best OL on the field stupid?

Collins ranked among the worst RT's in football in QB pressures allowed last yr though as FYI.

If they ended up with someone like Hernandez or Wynn (or a number of those other top rated guys) then Collins might stay at RT and te new guy might start at LG. Otherwise if Fleming shows well at RT in camp/preseason maybe you stick him there and put Collins at LG.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Tony Wise was one of the absolute best OL coaches in the NFL when he was here under Jimmy, and the "best 5 on the field" is a direct quote from him and his beliefs.

So whoever Lourie Horesh is, this person doesn't know jack shit.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why is saying they want the 5 best OL on the field stupid?

Collins ranked among the worst RT's in football in QB pressures allowed last yr though as FYI.

If they ended up with someone like Hernandez or Wynn (or a number of those other top rated guys) then Collins might stay at RT and te new guy might start at LG. Otherwise if Fleming shows well at RT in camp/preseason maybe you stick him there and put Collins at LG.

you got any stats about collins vs fleming in the run game ?? one could argue that the dallas running game might be a little bit more important to the whole offense than the pats running game is to their offense. stats might say that collins was rated lower than fleming last year, but the pats have a different offense than dallas.

dallas has shown to be pretty efficient w/ a plug and play LG.

across the league, tackles are harder to find than guards.

if fleming and collins are your tackles, keep them as tackles. find some other guy to come in and play LG for you. when a tackle goes down, you have a good quality swing for depth. dont send the guy thats practicing & playing full time at LG to switch to RT during a game if your starting RT goes down.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tony Wise was one of the absolute best OL coaches in the NFL when he was here under Jimmy, and the "best 5 on the field" is a direct quote from him and his beliefs.

So whoever Lourie Horesh is, this person doesn't know jack shit.

ya youre right the game hasnt evolved at all in 20 yrs

wtf you talking about w/ all this old ass info/quotes? you prob happy w/ dem 3 soop bowls too right?

& do yo ubelieve dallas has the OL coaching pedigree on staff right now to make the right OL decisions and "coaching-up" required ???

some teams, like the patriots and their OL coach dante scarrnechia, can move these fat bastards around from game-to-game, season-to-season and not skip a beat. dallas right now? i dunno maybe w/ callahan but now? i dont think so.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know anybody that doesn't want to find ways to get all their best players on the field a higher % of the time.

That's how you win games.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know anybody that doesn't want to find ways to get all their best players on the field a higher % of the time.

That's how you win games.

but you cant have a whole dline of demarcus lawrences and expect to be able to handle run downs....

sometimes you gotta stop being cute and just stick the square peg in the square hole where it belongs

and i dont know what you watch on sundays, but this team wins games by fighting scratching and clawing for 60 minutes

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Not that any of our FA signings are the answer to all our problems. But maybe they will be enough to allow us to move up and take Derwin James or Roquan Smith

That would make for a happy day one of the draft

It wouldn’t surprise me. You just know ole Jeruh is looking to make a huge splash with the draft being in his monument to himself there in Texas

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting. Looney got a 2yr deal, Fleming and Martin signed 1 yr deals.

10:25 AM ET

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

ORLANDO -- The Dallas Cowboys want to play their best five offensive linemen in 2018, which could lead La'el Collins back to left guard if new signing Cameron Fleming shows he can handle right tackle.

If Fleming can, then he will have a chance to earn an extra $1 million on top of the $1 million base salary and $1 million signing bonus he received from the Cowboys.

Dating to 2010, the Cowboys have started the same right tackle in every game every season but one. Doug Free started 11 games in 2014 because of injury. Collins started 16 games at right tackle in 2017.

Fleming did not start more than seven games in a season during his four-year run with the New England Patriots, but the Cowboys believe he can compete for a full-time role with them and at the very least serve as the swing tackle.

The Cowboys see Fleming more as a tackle, but he has experience at guard.

"We liked him coming out of school and they drafted him in the fourth round. He was a rotational tackle for them," coach Jason Garrett said. "He was a backup swing guy, didn't play that much, played a little bit of guard, but then the last half of this year he played a lot of snaps and when you put the tape on we thought he played very well. He blocked well in the passing game, good run-blocker, plays the right way, has a physicalness to him. He's a smart guy and you've seen him play on right side. You've seen him play on the left side. We just felt like he did a good job taking advantage of his opportunities, and again you want to bring a guy like that in, create some comp and see where it goes."

Here is a breakdown of the deals signed by Fleming, Joe Looney and Marcus Martin:

Fleming

Signing bonus: $1 million

2018 base salary: $1 million

Notable: Fleming can earn up to $500,000 in 46-man roster bonuses ($31,250 per game) and he can earn an extra $1 million depending on his playing time. For 60 percent of the snaps, he can earn $300,000. He can earn another $300,000 for 70 percent of the snaps, and if he reaches 80 percent of the snaps, he can earn an extra $400,000.

Looney

Signing bonus: $250,000

2018 base salary: $850,000

2019 base salary: $1 million

Notable: Looney can earn a maximum of $250,000 each year in play-time incentives. He can earn $100,000 with 65 percent of the snaps and $250,000 for 85 percent. If he plays in 85 percent in 2018 and '19, he can earn an extra $250,000.

Martin

Signing bonus: $0

2018 base salary: $790,000

Notable: Martin will count $636,625 against the cap as part of a veteran minimum-salary benefit contract. He can earn up to $90,000 on 46-man roster bonuses ($5,625 per game).

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Clapper looking to impress you people with big words like "meritocracy"

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i kno joe thomas probably sucks but its slow here so here's new dallas cowboys LB joe thomas knocking the C off this chicago bears helmet

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
:popcorn

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Hopefully Hurns can sub plant T Willy as the #2.

But it’s more likely he takes the place of Beasley

I also saw a report that Butler is finally meeting with teams. I wonder what took him so long. He said he wouldn’t come back unless Dez was gone and he had a chance at being #1. Well that shit was never gonna happen so he shoulda been looking for a job a long time ago. Either that, or more likely, is that no teams had any interest until the rest of the WR FA were already taken

Top Bottom