Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Purdy didnt win the job last yr, you know that right?

He ended up on the field after Lance and Garrapolo both got hurt.
I think you missed the point. Purdy came in with third string reps and played lights out. The reps went to Jimmy and Trey.

The Niners were all but certain they'd lose Garoppolo.
So again, that means that every single possible allowance and accommodation was given to Trey Lance to become the guy. Yes he got hurt, but when he played he wasn't good!

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This is a lottery ticket, and lotteries are for suckers.
Even when you play the lottery, you don't pay more than the price of the ticket.

We gave up a 4th for a player who apparently needs a year or two "to learn" and he only has 2 years on this contract (unless someone thinks that we will franchise him).

So even if Lance gets in games and does a Matt Flynn, there's a good chance he will sign with another team.

Meanwhile, we could have hung on to that 4th round pick and used it on a QB in the 4th who could be with us for 4 years, or at the very least also be a QB with a 55 completion percentage.

I don't care what anyone says, Mike White is a decent QB. Nice arm, decent mobility, etc. We didn't hit big time on Mike White, but we gave up on him too soon.

The point is that this idea that a decent QB (if you're looking for a backup) can't be found in rounds 3 to 5 is hogwash. You just need to be willing to pull the trigger.

Trey Lance for 2 years or Aidan O'Connell for 4?

Stetson Bennett went a pick before us, but a small trade-up (assuming there was a taker) could have landed Bennett.

I know, I know, Bennett isn't this or that. Guess what, neither is Lance.

If I'm going to give up a 4th round pick, for a player who will be on the team for 2 years, I want a player who can play NOW. Like Amari Cooper. Of course, we gave up a 1 for Cooper and then got a 6th.

But the Giants gave up a 3 for Waller. Waller will play now for them. They gave up a 6th or 7th for Isaiah Simmons, Simmons will play now for them.

So what is the point of giving up a 4th for a 3rd stringer? I know, I know, we will develop him for 2 years. If we develop him for 2 years and he shows it on the field, he'll either leave for the big bucks or we'll need to franchise him based on a small sample size.

But, of course, a decision of Dak needs to be made much sooner than 2 years.

I think this trade is stupid!

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
If I'm going to give up a 4th round pick, for a player who will be on the team for 2 years, I want a player who can play NOW. Like Amari Cooper. Of course, we gave up a 1 for Cooper and then got a 6th.
That's a point I've made elsewhere. For a 4th, you should get a guy you know can play, not a pig in a poke. If Lance had looked great at the NFL level but was simply snakebit by injuries, I'd feel differently.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think you missed the point. Purdy came in with third string reps and played lights out. The reps went to Jimmy and Trey.

The Niners were all but certain they'd lose Garoppolo.
So again, that means that every single possible allowance and accommodation was given to Trey Lance to become the guy. Yes he got hurt, but when he played he wasn't good!
And he won the starting job out of camp and preseason last yr.

Purdy ended up playing because two other guys got hurt, otherwise he'd have never seen the field.

Please go back to sleep.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We gave up a 4th for a player who apparently needs a year or two "to learn" and he only has 2 years on this contract (unless someone thinks that we will franchise him).

So even if Lance gets in games and does a Matt Flynn, there's a good chance he will sign with another team.

Meanwhile, we could have hung on to that 4th round pick and used it on a QB in the 4th who could be with us for 4 years, or at the very least also be a QB with a 55 completion percentage.

I don't care what anyone says, Mike White is a decent QB. Nice arm, decent mobility, etc. We didn't hit big time on Mike White, but we gave up on him too soon.

The point is that this idea that a decent QB (if you're looking for a backup) can't be found in rounds 3 to 5 is hogwash. You just need to be willing to pull the trigger.

Trey Lance for 2 years or Aidan O'Connell for 4?

Stetson Bennett went a pick before us, but a small trade-up (assuming there was a taker) could have landed Bennett.

I know, I know, Bennett isn't this or that. Guess what, neither is Lance.

But the Giants gave up a 3 for Waller. Waller will play now for them. They gave up a 6th or 7th for Isaiah Simmons, Simmons will play now for them.

So what is the point of giving up a 4th for a 3rd stringer? I know, I know, we will develop him for 2 years. If we develop him for 2 years and he shows it on the field, he'll either leave for the big bucks or we'll need to franchise him based on a small sample size.

But, of course, a decision of Dak needs to be made much sooner than 2 years.

I think this trade is stupid!
I think this post is stupid. You argue that we gave up on White too soon, then flipped a middle round pick for a guy the Niners apparently didnt give up too soon on.

Simmons is monumental bust as well, the Giants got him for nothing because the Cards were going to cut him. Who cares if he sees the field for him? He fucking sux.

And it's not just two years that we have Lance genius. If he shows anything they can use the 5th yr option on him. If he really pans out and becomes a starter they can franchise him or sign him to a long term deal.

Aiden O'Connell has apparently looked pretty decent for the Raiders, but he's played against the backups and guys who wont be in the league in another few days. Nobody has any idea how he'll pan out, or even if he will.

And quit whining about a 55% comp % of a guy with 102 career attempts, it's far too small a sample size. At N Dakota St in his one full yr as a starter he completed 67% of his passes, and in the last two preseasons Lance has completed over 67% of his passes as well.

He needs to be healthy, get reps and get some seasoning. Maybe he won't work out, I really have no idea. But the kid does have some physical talent and excellent size. We gave up a 4th rd pick for the guy, we didnt trade away the farm. JFC. Recent 4th rd picks in last 10 yrs or so, Villami Fehoko, Jabril Cox, Josh Ball, Reggie Robinson II, Ryan Switzer, Charles Tapper, BW Webb. Steven fucking McGee was a 4th rd pick at one time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That's a point I've made elsewhere. For a 4th, you should get a guy you know can play, not a pig in a poke. If Lance had looked great at the NFL level but was simply snakebit by injuries, I'd feel differently.
He's only started 4 games.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
c32f41e9c073bc3f085c73a31bd181e5.jpg

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We gave up a 4th rd pick for the guy, we didnt trade away the farm. JFC. Recent 4th rd picks in last 10 yrs or so, Villami Fehoko, Jabril Cox, Josh Ball, Reggie Robinson II, Ryan Switzer, Charles Tapper, BW Webb. Steven fucking McGee was a 4th rd pick at one time
Dak...

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think this post is stupid. You argue that we gave up on White too soon, then flipped a middle round pick for a guy the Niners apparently didnt give up too soon on.

Simmons is monumental bust as well, the Giants got him for nothing because the Cards were going to cut him. Who cares if he sees the field for him? He fucking sux.

And it's not just two years that we have Lance genius. If he shows anything they can use the 5th yr option on him. If he really pans out and becomes a starter they can franchise him or sign him to a long term deal.

Aiden O'Connell has apparently looked pretty decent for the Raiders, but he's played against the backups and guys who wont be in the league in another few days. Nobody has any idea how he'll pan out, or even if he will.

And quit whining about a 55% comp % of a guy with 102 career attempts, it's far too small a sample size. At N Dakota St in his one full yr as a starter he completed 67% of his passes, and in the last two preseasons Lance has completed over 67% of his passes as well.

He needs to be healthy, get reps and get some seasoning. Maybe he won't work out, I really have no idea. But the kid does have some physical talent and excellent size. We gave up a 4th rd pick for the guy, we didnt trade away the farm. JFC. Recent 4th rd picks in last 10 yrs or so, Villami Fehoko, Jabril Cox, Josh Ball, Reggie Robinson II, Ryan Switzer, Charles Tapper, BW Webb. Steven fucking McGee was a 4th rd pick at one time.
The Giants DID NOT give up a fourth for Simmons, and Simmons will see the field. Even if it is as a backup, to give a player relief, whatever, Simmons WILL see the field. Even if it is on special teams.

Mike White was drafted. It is a totally different equation. He came out of college raw. He wasn't given the same chance that Lance had been given.

A 4th for someone who won't be on the field does not help. Now if we draft a guy in the 4th then that is different because he has 4 years on the contract, so at some point he might help and he could at worst be an arm in the preseason.

Plus, when you draft a player there is also the unknown and hey, maybe you hit another Dak or Romo (I know Romo wasn't drafted), you never know.

Is McCarthy going to take reps away from Rush during the season (and the number 2 doesn't get all that many reps) to bring along Lance? I would think that he has to.

The backup QB position should have been handled in free agency or the draft. Many of us, I think you as well, had QBs targeted.

I looked up Bennett's completion percentage. It's 62.5, which is better than Lance's. I haven't seen Bennett play, but I'm assuming he's not playing with the ones.

Lots of QBs can do better than a 55 completion percentage with guys like George Kittle running routes and Trent Williams blocking.

Aidan O'Connell has a 72.2 completion percentage.

My point is, how do you get a 55 completion percentage when playing with the likes of Ayuk, Kittle, Trent Williams, Deebo, etc? My answer is you get a 55 completion percentage by not being very good. Keep in mind he accomplished this while playing in a West Coast, which is a QB friendly system that isn't asking the QB to air it out down field.

We'll find out.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Holy shit.... They gave Lance, Troy's number 8!

That has to do with incompetent drafting. If you look at the 4th round in general there are many very good players available. The trick is to draft right. Easier said than done, I get it.

But when you have the pick you have a shot. When you don't have the pick you have no shot.
It's a 4th round pick. It's nothing to get upset about. Kicking the tires. Hell, you'll have a compensatory pick in the 4th next year anyway. Relax.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dak is calling the plays. First possession resulted in 11 plays, 75 yard TD drive.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I hope we're not seeing so much of Luepke because we're planning on cutting him too.

21-10 Dallas, after a Luepke tour de force of a drive.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I’m glad Will Griers last game as a Cowboy was a good one. It appeared to be a career game for him.

I was happy to see Hunter Luepke get some action too.

All in all it was a decent showing for the final preseason game of the year.

Last edited:

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This was a fairly smart trade. They didn't give up a lot of a guy that has a lot of physical talent and excellent size and arm strength.
Physical talent, size and arm strength by themselves don't automatically translate to success. If it did other teams would have been more interested than they were.
He WAS very good at N Dakota St.
So was Carson Wentz.
He has shown some flashes in his 2+ seasons but he has been hurt a lot. He just turned 23. He won't be expected to do much (if anything) this year but sit and learn. Maybe he learns the playbook and moves past Rush later in the season. This move was designed for the future and knowing we have a monster deal awaiting on the QB already here, who has not shown he can't get the team over the hump yet.
Maybe I'm wrong. Hell, I hope I am. But seeing is believing, and right now I just haven't seen it yet.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is a lottery ticket, and lotteries are for suckers.
Hey, I play the lottery sometimes!

And I'm pretty sure all your 400lb honey bunnies all play the lottery too after they hit you up for a few bucks here and there.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We've had some good ones for sure.

But 4ths arnt sure things by any stretch of the imagination.

I wouldnt have traded away any premium picks for him, but for a 4th its a low risk, potentially high reward type move.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We've had some good ones for sure.

But 4ths arnt sure things by any stretch of the imagination.

I wouldnt have traded away any premium picks for him, but for a 4th its a low risk, potentially high reward type move.
I'd understand the angst and would even be leading it were it a premium pick we gave away. I just can't muster any shivagit over this.

Top Bottom