Reaction score
I think we all sorta expect this.

My question is, would you want him as a back up?

Do you think he could hold up if he had to play a game or two because of injury?

Or is he completely finished?

C

Cr122

July 26, 2011 - 12:11 pm
More articles by David Sabia » By DAVID SABIA
Football News Now Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboy are expected to cut veteran right tackle Mark Colombo, but retain right guard Leonard Davis in 2011.

According to the David Moore of the Dallas Morning News, Colombo’s “very complex contract” involves two bonuses that will activate in the first 15 days of a new NFL work year. If they opt to cut him however, they will save about $1 million.

“I think there’s a good chance he’s gone,” Moore said, “unless he signs a lesser deal with an understanding he will likely be a backup.”

The 32-year-0ld Colombo started 15 games in 2010, but saw his skills begin to quickly diminish. He is no longer considered an unquestionable starter.

Despite entering the season in a similar situation, Davis may actually get a chance to prove his worth again.

Davis struggled mightily last season, most memorably when he was benched after surrendering two sacks to Jason Jones–who finished the season with 3.5 total–in a Week 5 loss to the Tennessee Titans. He turns 33 before Week 1 and still has $6 million due to him off the seven-year, $49 million deal he signed with Dallas in 2007.

Davis is still a three-time Pro Bowler and many on-lookers stated that his play noticeably improved after Jason Garrett took over as the interim head coach. He should have at least two above-average years left in him, and as Moore notes, won’t complain if he loses his starting gig.

“[Davis] has trouble against the quicker defensive linemen, but he’s also willing to accept a lesser role and do his best. He’s not a starter who will pout if he doesn’t start anymore,” Moore said. “I think the ideal scenario would be for him to be a part of this going forward in a backup role and sometime starter.”

If the Cowboys decide to part with Colombo, it might actually be Davis who temporarily fills his spot.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Colombo NOT being released now, per reports

I've heard the same thing. I wonder if the plan is to move Colombo to Guard, because I cannot imagine him staying to play backup. Colombo at guard would be interesting.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
On the otherhand, it would make sense that they would not cut Colombo just yet, when things are up in the air with Doug Free.

Top Bottom