Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'd run the counter there. Bring the TE and pulling guard to hit the first two things moving. The D line reacts to the O line with 4 of them blocking down, they will usually try to beat the play and secure their gap, which means they are going the wrong way. Big, big counter fan. Pittsburgh runs it well. 49ers did when Harbaugh was there. Urban Meyer runs it out of the spread.
I like your play call a lot better. The ORIGINAL counter play didn't have anyone pulling. The advent of the "counter-tray" (Counter Trap) made it really much more useful and effective. Original counter was for use against teams who habitually over-pursued. "Counter-tray" is useful, most all the time.

Personally I would have loaded up with a FB and 2 TEs and tried to get them to jump, giving me the free first down. If they didn't jump the snap comes with a second left on the play clock, we fake the FB lead play left and toss a short one to Witten in the right flat.

This of course requires something Garrett cannot do, situational practice beforehand and strategic planning.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Guys you have to remember that RBs do need to establish a rhythm much like a QB does. Unless you're one of the great, you aren't generally going to be beasting your first time out.

They should have worked Michaels in before having him shoulder that much responsibility.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder if Leary wasn't really recovered from the groin pull. With all the talk about Collins taking his job, he might have come back before he was ready.

But then a bunch of our OL are getting pushed around this year. Very strange. I think I've seen more of our OL standing around watching as the tackle is made in four games this year than I did all of last year.

Leary had a bad game the other night, agree with what you said in bold.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Guys you have to remember that RBs do need to establish a rhythm much like a QB does. Unless you're one of the great, you aren't generally going to be beasting your first time out.

They should have worked Michaels in before having him shoulder that much responsibility.

Eh. Excuses.

None of them out there really executed enough. Been that way all season so far.

Top Bottom