dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Come on David. Name a team that has won the SB in the past without a real good QB. With the rules the way they are that protect the QB and the WR. The QB, that was the single most influential person on the field has become that much more important

The Giants won two fairly recently with with Eli Manning, who at times is a "good" QB and at alot of times is a JAG out there.. The Redskins won with Mark Rypien. The Giants won a Super Bowl with a backup QB who had hardly ever played.

I wont argue with you that having great QB play matters more than just about anything else now, but the game IS so much easier for offenses that even average guys can look good or even great (like Foles last yr, his season statistically was really good). Payton Manning, Drew Brees and Tom Brady have been BY FAR the best three QB's in the league for the last decade, but their teams have won only two championships combined. So if having a HOF calibar, franchise elite QB was really all that mattered, those teams would have more championships.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Who ever said Foles (not our old kicker) was great? I sure didn't. It was obvious those numbers he put up last year weren't sustainable, or even close.

I don't even get what you're arguing. You don't think Foles and Sanchez are really top QBs, do you? If you don't, that's a credit to Kelly for winning games with them, not a negative.

I've never said Kelly was a bad coach. I've said I dont get the hype and never will. He's an ok coach with a trendy offense that got alot of press because of what it did inn college. Plenty of coaches have gotten similar or better results from teams that had less than great QB's, my problem with you and some others is you act like Chip kelly is the only one in the history of football who won a division (a bad division, then lost in first playoff game at home) with less than great QB play.

He's been in the league two yrs, his record is barely above .500. He's an ok coach, he isnt the 2nd coming

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
:facepalm

I never said Kelly was a genius, or the second coming, or was revolutionizing football, or any of that hyperbole. And I always said the NFCE sucked last year, which is why it was won with a 9-7 record and couldn't even win a playoff game. You must be thinking of someone else.

But news flash, when a coach wins he's going to get praise. Garrett is about to get it probably even more because we get more attention, good and bad, than anyone else.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
But news flash, when a coach wins he's going to get praise. Garrett is about to get it probably even more because we get more attention, good and bad, than anyone else.

Does that praise come from you too?

I have to admit I am still a little on the fence about him but am happy that in a season where expectations were pretty low, the record is good and they are going to the playoffs for the first time since 2009. There's some things I'm leery of him with, but I do think he's done some good things as well.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Garrett deserves the extension. As long as he has his hand held and we surround him with former head coaches, he will be tolerable. He excels at what he does now...keeping the team centered with his robot-like emotions and his monotone press conferences.

Reaction score
Garrett deserves the extension. As long as he has his hand held and we surround him with former head coaches, he will be tolerable. He excels at what he does now...keeping the team centered with his robot-like emotions and his monotone press conferences.

Basically how I feel.

I don't think he's a good coach. He's proven that in the past with his gaffes. But he's doing a decent job thanks to the staff we've put around him.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Year 1- He's a genius!!! Look at Nick Folk's season!!!

Year 2- They are gonna score 600 pts and win 14 or 15 games!!!!! Nick Folk is destined for greatness!

After 5 or 6 games "Nick Folk is off!!!!!"..."Nick Folk is really a scrub!!!!"

After Sanchez starts first couple of games and relieves in another "Now he's got his real QB!!!! Sanchez is reborn because of Kelly!!!!

After game 15 and 3 game losing streak "Uh, well they are only bad now because Folk got hurt!!!!"

:giggle

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

I think Garrett now knows how to call games. I just hope he doesn't think it's OK to push his offensive philosophy back onto the offense whenever he gets the chance to; which I think will be soon enough.

Just you guys watch, this offseason Jerry will say something to the effect that Garrett will now be involved in the day-to-day operations of how the offense should be run.

One of the two will crack; either Garrett forces the offense to be run his way, or Jerry will go back to feeling that the HC should have the dual head-coaching/coordinator hat struck upon his head.

Top Bottom