Reaction score
Thoughts on the Cowboys?
I’ve seen 17 teams in the league so far in training camp, I don’t think I’ve seen a better one than Dallas. I haven’t seen NO and Green Bay and Minnesota yet, but Dallas has the most talent of teams I’ve seen. Especially at the skill positions, and by the end of last year that defense was playing as good as anyone in the NFL.

Do you like them to win the NFC?
I do. There are so many variables for a team, but what I like about Dallas is their mental approach and the way they are setting up going into the season. Last year when I went there everyone was on edge. This year it feels much more like a business like approach. Now they know they can win in the playoffs and the big games. They are confident and relaxed. But this year they got a couple of traps right off the bat going to Washington and Houston, two rivalry games.

Redskins?
They are the biggest mystery team to me in the NFL. A lot of moving parts. You hate to base things on preseason, but you got to line up and see some of these guys in game situations, even if they’re just practice games. I’ve watched them practice a few times and McNabb is still a very good athlete and the arm is still there, but how is he going to adapt to a new system? If they do a lot of rolling out and play action I think he could be good in that offense. A rookie at left tackle. Older players at the skill positions. How is the defense going to adapt to a 3-4? A lot of moving parts to figure out.

Favre?
I don’t believe he’ll retire. I’m going to Minnesota next week, I hope I get more

It was HOF weekend. Were you a scout for the Redskins when Russ Grimm was drafted?
I was. I went to Pittsburgh many times, maybe the best college team I ever scouted. I think they had 18 or 19 kids go on to the NFL. We moved him to left guard. Even as a coach now in Arizona he’s a great technician, great motivator and a great adjustment guy. It’s hard to find coaches who do all three. Joe Jacoby should be the next to get in, because he and Grimm were side by side.

You served on the competition committee … what about going to an 18 game season?
Im not in favor of it. I don’t think there is a demand for playing football into February. I’ve been in locker and training rooms for 29 years, and at the end of the year those players are beat up. The biggest issue to me is QB development. Tony Romo is an undrafted free agent. If there are only 2 preseason games, Romo wouldn’t have made the team. He wouldn’t have had the opportunities to develop and prove himself that he can be a replacement to Drew Bledsoe. The same thing with Aaron Rogers and Kevin Kolb in Philly. Teams will hang on to old veteran QBs and won’t go to young unproven QBs. I’ve gotten mixed reactions from players. Some want to see what the whole package is, but most aren’t in favor of it.

--------

Courtesy Imanroshi @ CZ

Top Bottom