dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So what percentage of the decreased ratings would folks here guess is due to the Kaep factor?

It seems to me that over the past 30 years, the NFL became less and less focused on dedicated, die hard fans, and assumed a new mission - to appeal to as many people as possible, no matter how superficial their interest. So the NFL built a giant, but vulnerable fan base. The superficial / social fans are gone once they are sick of fantasy football and go on to some other fad.

In the meantime, the game has suffered, especially the increased intrusion of referees. You can't get too excited immediately / during a great play ... you've got to hold your breath until some middle aged bald guy decides if the overly detailed and over specific rules have not in anyway been violated.

There is over saturation. Plus, people who watch the NFL on regular local televison channels can get screwed. I'm 250 miles away from Atlanta so I get Falcon games that I could not care less about it. The Jacksonville Jaguars and Carolina Panthers are also often carried. Snooze-fests all.

Too many night games for me. I'm not going to stay up until midnight or later to see some spare match-up.

The commercials are agonizingly plentiful.

etc.

Couldn't agree more, great post ZC

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is another big factor. It's shocking to watch an old game and see how few flags there are. For the most part they let the players play unless there was an egregious violation. Now it's a nonstop parade of flags.

You know it's bad when Gruden and McDonough are ripping the number the flags on MNF. Absolutely ripping them.

I could take more flags if they were getting calls right, the problem is they don't get it right enough. They make ticky tack BS calls far too often, then for whatever reason ignore some blatantly obvious infraction that clearly impacts the outcome of a game.

They don't even get it right 100% of the time when they get a chance to look at replay on a call, which shouldn't be possible.

The league either has a ton of officials who are either painfully inept or painfully corrupt. It might actually be both.

Reaction score
I think dbair nailed it on the head... It's Goodell.

I loved the Tagliabue NFL. I loved the big hits. I loved the rivalries. I loved how back in the day you could build a contender. I hate this parity shit. I hate Thursday night games or games in London or Mexico. I hate the obnoxious Carrie Underwood kick off songs. I even hate how there's so many teams. The NFL could shit can 2-4 teams and few people would even give a shit. Jacksonville would be the first to go.

There was a time I used to not be able to get enough of the NFL. But now I'm leaning a lot more towards NCAA.

Reaction score
the author totally dismissed the Kaep factor, which tells you he's a lib.

Exactly this 100%. The author is a lib, and is thus trying to frame the discussion of the massive decline in NFL ratings away from the real cause - the NFL has become politically biased in favor of the leftists under Goodell's tenure. Most people used the NFL as an escape from shithead leftist convergence in most areas of life. Now that the NFL is converged, people are walking away as is normal. There is only so much Bob Costas holier than thou leftist lecturing people can take before a shithead like the "oppressed by the USA" multimillionaire, rich and famous athlete Kaepernick puts it over the top for people to stop watching.

All the crap in this article is just attempts to get people to not focus on the true cause. People are sick and tired of asshole leftists who just have to ruin everything with their bullshit.

Top Bottom