C

Cr122

Updated: October 13, 2010, 1:19 PM
Brock Kithcart of Branchville, NJ
Can you guys point a finger at why this defense can't force turnovers?
DallasCowboys.com Report

EmailPrintFacebookShareThis

(Editor's Note: Each day we will take the 2 best questions for our staff writers to answer from the Mailbag. "Click here" to email questions now.)

BROCK KITHCART - BRANCHVILLE, NJ: Can you guys point a finger at why this defense can't force turnovers? If they're going to turn this season around they need to start winning the turnover battles.

Nick: I agree they've got to get that turned around. It's mind-boggling in the past when they got so much pass rush. This year, they haven't gotten to the quarterback as much, but they haven't really gotten any turnovers at all. You can point to a lot of reasons why that is. But they don't strip for the ball like other teams. The safeties aren't really ball-hawk players. And as a result, the ball doesn't change hands as much as it needs to.

Rob: Totally agree. You can argue their man-to-man coverage hurts them because they're not always facing the ball. The truth is, they'd have more turnovers if they just make the play. Keith Brooking and Mike Jenkins had a chance for interceptions Sunday.

Josh: For one thing, they're not catching the ball very well when it comes to them. But it's going to be tougher in man coverage anyway, because a lot of times they're not able to see what the quarterback is doing. I heard the NFL Network's Michael Lombardi say recently, and it makes sense, that a lot of turnovers are a product of team speed on defense. Do we think the Cowboys are a particularly fast defense? When I look at the front seven, I don't see that.

CLINT ROBBINS - MASCOUTAH, IL: So the Cowboys cut a developing safety in Mike Hamlin. If that's the coaches' way of making changes, I hope they have something better coming. Cutting backup players does nothing. Cut an underperforming starter, like Jimmy Johnson, and you make the team take notice.

Nick: Jimmy really didn't do that a whole lot. I'm sure it happened that first season when everyone got cut. But Jimmy cut backup players like Curvin Richards to send a message. But they're not trying to send a message by cutting Hamlin. They're trying to improve the bottom of the roster.

Rob: The Hamlin cut was an eyebrow-raiser, at least to me, as a possible warning for the special teams guys at the bottom of the roster that kickoff coverage needs improvement. Benching a four-year starter like Leonard Davis should get more attention from the starters, for sure. But the general feeling you get from Wade Phillips is this team doesn't think big personnel changes are needed; they need to refine the fundamental stuff that's getting them beat in close games. Another loss, though, and it might be too late.

Josh: I don't think it was about making people take notice. You're right, cutting the 53rd guy on the roster doesn't make anyone shape up. Of course, I don't think cutting starters is ideal, either. Do that and you're stuck paying a guy millions of dollars to do nothing, and who knows if his backup is any good? Doesn't make sense.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Our blitzes suck and we don't get enough pressure on the quartback. Our safeties and 3rd corner also suck.

Can someone answer this: Where in the hell was Scandrick looking during that touchdown pass last week? What is down and to the left that he needs to be worried about?

C

Cr122

Our blitzes suck and we don't get enough pressure on the quartback. Our safeties and 3rd corner also suck.

Can someone answer this: Where in the hell was Scandrick looking during that touchdown pass last week? What is down and to the left that he needs to be worried about?

He was lost in coverage. lol

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Our blitzes surprise no one.

I can't count the number of times I've seen our blitzers almost get the QB.Maddening.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Our blitzes surprise no one.

I can't count the number of times I've seen our blitzers almost get the QB.Maddening.

I don't know what the hell happened.

At this rate Ware won't get 20 again and get snubbed for MVP because the league loves Steelers thugs.

Reaction score
Our blitzes are easy to predict. It's almost like we haven't tried to hide where there coming from.

And we need to just stop with the Brooking up the middle blitz. That isn't working at all.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

All I know that on that first TD pass Young threw early in the game, Young basically just threw it up. That ball hung up in there and should have been INT or at the ver least batted down. No way it should have been a TD.

Reaction score
All I know that on that first TD pass Young threw early in the game, Young basically just threw it up. That ball hung up in there and should have been INT or at the ver least batted down. No way it should have been a TD.

I don't know what Ball was doing there. He was just loitering in the deep middle of the field, despite no reciever coming into his area. Then, when Young threw the ball . . . he half heartedly ran to the spot. Displayed absolutely no instincts or range on that play. Pathetic.

Plymkr

Reaction score
Players and coaching.

Need better players, and better coaching for the 3-4.

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing ball and scandric switch positions.

Ball played better at corner and maybe the switch offer up a fresh change for both and possibly a spark there...

C

Cr122

Ball played better at corner and maybe the switch offer up a fresh change for both and possibly a spark there...

I wouldn't mind seeing Barry Church or Danny McCray get a shot at the safety positions.

Reaction score
We don't practice it. I mean, when I look at teams like the Bears, they're always trying to strip the ball. We don't. We just "get lucky." And even when we do get lucky, we look at the ball for a few seconds before realizing the whistle hasn't blown and we can recover it.

C

Cr122

We don't practice it. I mean, when I look at teams like the Bears, they're always trying to strip the ball. We don't. We just "get lucky." And even when we do get lucky, we look at the ball for a few seconds before realizing the whistle hasn't blown and we can recover it.

Exactly, we don't go for the strip or try to knock someone out so they lose the ball.

We are not an attacking defense, we just wait for the ball to bounce our way and we won't see many turnovers that way.

We must be aggressive like the Ravens and Bears have been.

Reaction score
Exactly, we don't go for the strip or try to knock someone out so they lose the ball.

We are not an attacking defense, we just wait for the ball to bounce our way and we won't see many turnovers that way.

We must be aggressive like the Ravens and Bears have been.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think we've been too content with our sacks to notice this problem. I mean, when we were getting a bunch of sacks last season, it wasn't that big of a deal because we knew what we did best. Now that we're not getting sacks, it's really glaring that we don't force enough turnovers.

I don't know. I just don't know. It's coaching. I hate to say that because Wade's not supposed to have such a bumbling defensive unit such as this.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't know what Ball was doing there. He was just loitering in the deep middle of the field, despite no reciever coming into his area. Then, when Young threw the ball . . . he half heartedly ran to the spot. Displayed absolutely no instincts or range on that play. Pathetic.

Totally. Either him or Scandrick shopuld have INT or deflected that pass. It should havwe by no means been a TD. I don't know what the fuck Ball is thinking that his position at FS is ---pardon the pun, safe, but he he certainly does not have a clue.

Passes like those get no easier to INT.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Scandrick had a chance to play and possibly start at FS, but apparently he didn't want to; like Pete Hunter. Just stupid. You have a chance to start at FS but would rather not because you think you shouyld be starting at CB.

Reaction score
Totally. Either him or Scandrick shopuld have INT or deflected that pass. It should havwe by no means been a TD. I don't know what the fuck Ball is thinking that his position at FS is ---pardon the pun, safe, but he he certainly does not have a clue.

Passes like those get no easier to INT.

I thought Mike Hamlin was the other guy with Scandrick on that first Vince Young bomb to Nate Washington.

Top Bottom