Reaction score
By Rainer Sabin / Reporter
rsabin@dallasnews.com | Bio

By the end of last season, the Cowboys' secondary had collapsed in such a way that some wondered if the foundation was faulty. Time and again, Dallas' defensive backs were chasing receivers downfield after a catch was made - trying in vain to minimize the extent of the damage that had already been inflicted.

Last season, Dallas allowed 57 passes that covered 20 yards or more - a number that caused its share of consternation in these parts.

But as many observers looked to assign blame, they couldn't come to a consensus when identifying the specific culprits. Were the cornerbacks primarily responsible or the safeties? And which position demanded the most substantial upgrade?

When Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said before the draft in April that the team was looking at moving free safety Alan Ball back to cornerback, he provided some answers.

Ball, of course, was ineffective last season - providing inadequate support for Mike Jenkins and Terence Newman, who were repeatedly exposed by receivers. Ball's underwhelming performance forced the Cowboys to reconsider where he should be deployed at the same time they contemplate re-signing strong safety Gerald Sensabaugh, who is an unrestricted free agent.

With a cloud of uncertainty hanging over both safety positions, the Cowboys' top personnel priority seems obvious when a new collective bargaining agreement is finalized and the market for veteran players opens. But the cornerback position, at the very least, deserves attention, too. Dallas allowed nine opposing receivers to accumulate 100 or more yards in a single outing last season and Newman and Jenkins were among the 16 NFL defenders who had been burned the most.

Of the 181 passes thrown in their direction, they allowed 112 completions, and by the end of 2010 only two cornerback tandems in the NFL were exposed more than Jenkins and Newman. Although it's unclear whether the Cowboys would unload Jenkins or Newman in the near future, such a move doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility.

But if they were to cast off one of their starters, would the Cowboys be able to find an adequate replacement on their roster?

That doesn't seem likely despite the fact that the Cowboys now have six cornerbacks after selecting University of Buffalo and former Cedar Hill standout Josh Thomas in the fifth round of April's NFL Draft. Neither Thomas nor Bryan McCann, an undrafted rookie in 2010, seem ready to fill such a significant role. And it would be hard to imagine the Cowboys would elevate Ball after his struggles at safety forced the Cowboys to consider redeploying him at his original position.

So, that leaves Orlando Scandrick, the Cowboys' primary slot cornerback, as the most apparent candidate.

While Scandrick proved to be an able pass rusher - a skill that should be put to good use in new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan's aggressive system - he struggled to lock down receivers, as this article produced by Pro Football Focus reveals. He allowed 53 catches in 401 coverage snaps last year, according to the website.

Only one cornerback - Indianapolis' Jerraud Powers - had a worse success rate defending the pass than Scandrick, who was playing zone coverage most of the time while patrolling an area of the field quarterbacks frequently target in third-down passing situations.

On the opposite side of the spectrum was Nnamdi Asomugha, who yielded only 13 receptions in 441 coverage snaps. No other cornerback performed better than Asomugha, who was avoided by opposing quarterbacks and is one of the most coveted free agents on the market.

While it remains uncertain if the Cowboys will make a bid for the high-priced Asomugha, there is little doubt he would improve the team's standing at that position. Yet the pursuit of Asomugha or even a lesser free agent may depend upon the Cowboys' strategy for addressing their needs at safety, where it appears the most pressing concerns exist for a secondary in need of repair.

Cowboys cornerbacks Terence Newman and Mike Jenkins had a rough year last season. Just how rough? Here is a look at the most completions allowed by starting cornerback tandems in the NFL in 2010:

Tandem; Team; Receptions allowed
Bryant McFadden/Ike Taylor; Pittsburgh; 131
Cortland Finnegan/Alterraun Verner; Tennessee; 123
Terence Newman/Mike Jenkins; Dallas; 112
Brent Grimes/Dunta Robinson; Atlanta; 112
DeAngelo Hall/Carlos Rogers; Washington; 112

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
With more pressure on the QB there will be less time Newman/Jenkins will be in coverage. Theres no secret to that. There was no secret that last yr there was zero pressure and no CB can cover that long. But, in 09 when Ware and Spencer were killing the QB and Ratliff was terrorizing up the middle Jenkins made the probowl. QBs were forced to throw when they didnt want to, and Jenkins was always there to break it up or get the INT.

If Ryan can bring that type of pressure from 09 to 2011 theres no doubt in my head that Jenkins and Newman will be an impressive group again.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
With more pressure on the QB there will be less time Newman/Jenkins will be in coverage. Theres no secret to that. There was no secret that last yr there was zero pressure and no CB can cover that long. But, in 09 when Ware and Spencer were killing the QB and Ratliff was terrorizing up the middle Jenkins made the probowl. QBs were forced to throw when they didnt want to, and Jenkins was always there to break it up or get the INT.

If Ryan can bring that type of pressure from 09 to 2011 theres no doubt in my head that Jenkins and Newman will be an impressive group again.

Pretty much.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I agree with much of this, but we need safety help. Jenkins and Newman didn't make the Pro Bowl with Ball as safety.

C

Cr122

We could use help at both the safety and corner positions, but just correcting the safety position this year will be an upgrade.

At least sign Huff to play free safety and we can live with Sensabum for one year.

Now my dream scenario would be replace them both, but I doubt that happens.

sbk92

Reaction score
I actually think we're deep at cornerback. I thought they were fine before the draft. Then they went and selected one of my pet cats in the 5th round for quality depth.

How many is enough? We have jack and shat at DE. One OLB who can get to the QB in our 3-4. One and a half quality starting offensive linemen. No safeties to speak of. Why the F-huh-uck are we talking about cornerback?

C

Cr122

I actually think we're deep at cornerback. I thought they were fine before the draft. Then they went and selected one of my pet cats in the 5th round for quality depth.

How many is enough? We have jack and shat at DE. One OLB who can get to the QB in our 3-4. One and a half quality starting offensive linemen. No safeties to speak of. Why the F-huh-uck are we talking about cornerback?

You're right, but a lot of coaches will tell ya, you can't have enough corners.

~corner whores~

I'm with you on the corners, I think we are okay there for at least another couple of seasons, then we need to replace Newman.

C

Cr122

~corner whores~

I'm with you on the corners, I think we are okay there for at least another couple of seasons, then we need to replace Newman.

sbk92

Reaction score

~corner whores~

Our 4th corner is Josh Thomas. I don't know if there are many 4th corners in the league I'd rather have over him.

I don't get this pressing cornerback need.

Actually I do. It comes from fans who aren't intelligent enough to realize exactly why nobody could cover last year.

C

Cr122

Someone other than Ware pressuring or sacking the QB would help.

Ware had 15.5 sacks, who was next Spencer with 6? We need to add to those numbers and get at least 12 to 15 more added to the total.

If we get more pressure that should help out in the secondary.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
We could use help at both the safety and corner positions, but just correcting the safety position this year will be an upgrade.

At least sign Huff to play free safety and we can live with Sensabum for one year.

Now my dream scenario would be replace them both, but I doubt that happens.

I would rather have Dawan Landry over Huff. Hands down

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Landry's good too. I'll take either one.

Landry
Huff
Manning

All 3 would make me very happy and 2 of them over Sensabaugh would be perfect for me. Add Deunta Williams for the future as a UDFA.

C

Cr122

Landry
Huff
Manning

All 3 would make me very happy and 2 of them over Sensabaugh would be perfect for me. Add Deunta Williams for the future as a UDFA.

I'd be thrilled to replace them both this year but something tells me it won't happen.

Top Bottom