dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Callahan to call plays from coaching booth

Posted Thursday, Jun. 13, 2013

By Clarence E. Hill Jr. and Carlos Mendez

chill@star-telegram.com cmendez@star-telegram.com

IRVING — Bill Callahan said he will go up to the coaching booth to call plays this season, which he likes because it’s like watching game film.

“The ability to recognize coverages, fronts, what the defense is doing, I think it’s a lot easier from up top than it is down on the bottom,” the Cowboys’ offensive coordinator/offensive line coach said Thursday at Valley Ranch as the team finished a three-day mini-camp. “I just like the vantage point.”

Callahan hasn’t coached from the booth since he was offensive coordinator with the Oakland Raiders from 1998 to 2001.

“I haven’t been in the box too much,” he said. “We’re going to try it out and see how it works out and see if that’s comfortable, if it’s a good communication sequence for everybody. If it is, we’ll roll with it. If it’s not, then we’ll alter it.”

Brent update

The Cowboys will let the Josh Brent situation “take care of itself,” vice president Stephen Jones said.

“He’s working through his legal issues, and I’m sure the NFL and the Cowboys at that point will know where we stand,” Jones said.

Brent will almost certainly not play for the Cowboys in 2013, but Jones declined to say whether the team would make a roster move before training camp so they could use the spot for another player.

Asked why Brent remains on the roster, Jones said, “I don’t have any comment other than what I said. We’ll monitor what happens legally and go from there.”

Brent is set for trial in September on a charge of intoxication manslaughter. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

Randle’s cast

Running back Joseph Randle said the cast on his hand will be removed next week, and he will stay in town to take handoffs and “get back in the swing of things.”

He did not participate in any of the minicamps or OTAs since the Cowboys drafted him in the fifth round in April. He had two surgeries to repair ligament damage in his thumb.

“All I can do right now is work out and mentally be ready and know the plays,” he said.

Lee’s extension

The Cowboys will look at signing linebacker Sean Lee to a contract extension to keep him from becoming a free agent.

“He is going into the last year of his contract. That is something we will look at,” vice president Stephen Jones said.

For his part, Lee wants to stay healthy. He missed 10 games last year with a torn ligament in his big toe, and he missed three games in his first two seasons.

“When it comes to a contract, that stuff plays itself out,” he said. “Right now, I’m just blessed to be out here. I just need to find a way to stay on the field.”

Romo throws

Quarterback Tony Romo threw passes Thursday, the first time he has done so with reporters present during the spring.

Romo is recovering from surgery to remove a cyst on his back.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/0...o-call-plays-from-coaching.html#storylink=cpy

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Shouldn't the o-line coach ( a full-time job, btw) be on the sideline coaching up his guys? Lemme guess: he'll delegate that to an assistant.

Reaction score
I'm drinking the kool-aid on this one today. Callahan might be pretty decent. It all depends on how that oline holds up.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'm just hoping he won't abandon the run like Garrett does. I think Murray/Randle will do great things this season.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Abdandon the run? C'mon now. What do you want him to do with that shitty ass offensive line?

There's a lot of things you can blame Garrett for. Not calling enough run plays probably isn't one of them.

Our run blocking is horrendous. No thanks to more 1-2 yard run plays

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
Abdandon the run? C'mon now. What do you want him to do with that shitty ass offensive line?

There's a lot of things you can blame Garrett for. Not calling enough run plays probably isn't one of them.

Our run blocking is horrendous. No thanks to more 1-2 yard run plays
I expect them to copy rich gannons raider offences and substitute the short pass game for a run game. A lot more swings and screens to cover up the lack of o line but still give us the consistent 3-4 yard plays.

Romo is a similar qb to Gannon, but better and younger than calahan's Gannon, not to mention with a better TE and younger WR (hard to compare to Tim brown and Jerry Rice, but they were old...).

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I heard he was going to call the plays from a shipping container parked in the stadium back lots.

As if the location where the plays are called has anything to do with the effectiveness of the play.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If you're up in the coaching booth you get a much better view of what's going on.

Top Bottom