iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
How in the world are you not getting that pensions are at least partially funded by the employees' own money? What is wrong with someone who has worked their whole life for a company/agency getting what they signed on for, and bargained for, and put their own money into?

Answer? There's nothing wrong with it, you're just parroting fox news hate.

so again, if someone works their way through "capitalism" and gets what they were after, why is that evil?

you can't have a standard only go your way. ever.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
For the most part, government jobs (especially locally) pay much less than working in the public sector. The trade off is more time off, holidays and benefits. My pension from the state of MD (which I cashed out when I left, it was small) was almost entirely my own money.

First, public sector employees make more than their private counterparts so stop with that nonsense now. Second, why do you feel entitled to more money than you paid into the retirement plan? I understand you had a contract, but that is the problem. Asinine contracts negotiated by greedy unions and democrats on the take. You do not create anything. You do not add to the economy. You just take money that was redistributed to you. If public sector workers want to fund a retirement plan with their own paychecks that is fine and they are free to do so, but to act like the tax payers should thrown in extra money on top just because you are greedy is stupid.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've had multiple posts in this thread and I think I've stated pretty clearly where I stand on the subject. Civil servants, whether you agree with them or not, are necessary to the function of government; it's a necessary expense. Have some unions and pension plans gone way off the reservation? You bet. But some folks here are misinformed which prompted me to comment.

Now, if you want to cherry pick and put your own spin on what I've stated in multiple posts, have at it. If you disagree, then say so but I'm really not sure what your point is.
Look, I don't really give a shit what your other posts in this thread said. All I was responding to was the point you made in that post. It's not unreasonable for people to wonder why a county employee is making this kind of money when her state is in the shitter economically.

You tried to insult TE's intelligence for complaining about this, and in the same sentence stated that spending was the culprit. I didn't see the intelligence in that post, so I asked about it. And you've backtracked on it, so as far as I'm concerned it's done.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
From the CBO

30economix-workers-blog480.jpg

Now go back to playing in your sandbox.

Last edited:

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, once you get to white collar jobs the wages are equal or better in the private sector. Thanks for making my point.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
You are incapable of reading a simple chart. Pathetic. At the master degree level and below the federal government says they pay more in total compensation than private companies. That is the vast majority of federal workers. You are off your meds again. Please see your doctor before you hurt yourself.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Look, I don't really give a shit what your other posts in this thread said. All I was responding to was the point you made in that post. It's not unreasonable for people to wonder why a county employee is making this kind of money when her state is in the shitter economically.

You tried to insult TE's intelligence for complaining about this, and in the same sentence stated that spending was the culprit. I didn't see the intelligence in that post, so I asked about it. And you've backtracked on it, so as far as I'm concerned it's done.

Honestly, leave that bullshit somewhere else. I didn't insult anyone's intelligence and I wasn't questioning or thinking it was unreasonable to wonder why a county employee is making crazy money. On the contrary, I question it as well. It's not my problem if you can't follow the flow of the discussion.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You are incapable of reading a simple chart. Pathetic. At the master degree level and below the federal government says they pay more in total compensation than private companies. That is the vast majority of federal workers. You are off your meds again. Please see your doctor before you hurt yourself.

Wages, dumbass.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Little spunk sure is a greedy little bitch. Take, take, take. That is all you can do. I truly wish you were a capable human that could start a company and hire people and contribute to society, but you can't so the real people that drive this country will be forced to take care of your punk ass.

Take federal employees. For nine years in a row, they have been awarded bigger average pay and benefit increases. The result is that the total compensation gap between federal and private workers has doubled in the past decade, according to data from the federal Bureau of Economic Analysis. In 2008, the average wage for 1.9 million federal civilian workers was more than $79,000, versus an average of about $50,000 for the nation's 108 million private sector workers, measured in full-time equivalents, according to federal figures. Comparing the same mix of jobs, the gap was about $8,000 in salaries and $31,000 in benefits. Ninety percent of government employees receive lifetime pension benefits. Only 18 percent of private employees enjoy that protection. Public service employees continue to gain annual salary increases; they are almost impossible to fire; they retire earlier with instant, guaranteed benefits paid for by the taxes of those very same deprived private sector workers.

More troubling still is the inherent political corruption. Elected officials tend to be accommodating when confronted by powerful constituencies like the public service unions that agitate for plush benefits and often provide (or deny) a steady flow of cash to election campaign funds. You have a dynamic conflict of interest when the self-interest of the legislators is to appease the public service unions with pledges that won't come due until the lawmakers have left office. Their successors will have to cope with the inherited debt burden—and ultimately the nation's taxpayers are stuck with the bill at the federal, state, and local levels. Behold the consequences: less money for social services, libraries, road improvements, education, and other public service programs, i.e., the whole basis of the initial arguments for more public sector pay! States and localities don't have the federal government's ability to print money, and they have a much more limited capacity to borrow. The result, according to the Pew Center on the States, is that they face underfunded benefit and pension obligations that exceed $1 trillion. That estimate was before the stock market drop in the last couple of years. Liabilities for debts for these entities have increased from an estimated 12 percent of GDP in 1980 to an estimated 22 percent this year, approaching $2.5 trillion.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/mzuck...or-workers-are-the-new-privileged-elite-class

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
I not sure why you are so desperate to make a meaningless point, except that is what you always do when you have your ass handed to you in all these discussions. Your mode of operation is clear for everyone to see. Lose a debate, change the debate to make it fit your tortured view of the world. We are done.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
I understand you have attention span of gnat so I will help you again.

When local California official Susan Muranishi retires from her job in a couple of years, she’s going to be walking away with a fat paycheck -- $423,664 a year – for the rest of her life.

Muranishi, an Alameda County administrator, makes $301,000 in annual base pay. But in addition to that, the San Francisco Chronicle reports she'll also receive:

$24,000 in “equity pay” to make sure she makes at least 10 percent more than anyone else in the county, even in retirement.

An annual performance bonus of $24,000, even in retirement.

Another $9,000 a year for serving on the county’s three-member Surplus Property Authority, even in retirement.
$54,000 a year in “longevity” pay for having stayed with the county for more than 30 years, even in retirement.

Like other county executives, she’ll also get an $8,292-a-year car allowance. According to the county auditor's office, her pension would be equal to her annual pay package now.

Reaction score
Honestly, leave that bullshit somewhere else. I didn't insult anyone's intelligence and I wasn't questioning or thinking it was unreasonable to wonder why a county employee is making crazy money. On the contrary, I question it as well. It's not my problem if you can't follow the flow of the discussion.
Please... I followed the flow of discussion just fine. You're view of this thread is warped at best. Talking out of both sides of your mouth will do that.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Please... I followed the flow of discussion just fine. You're view of this thread is warped at best. Talking out of both sides of your mouth will do that.

I might be offended if you even knew or understood what that view was but it's obvious you can't grasp it. No sweat. The thread will just continue to deteriorate to the point that any reasonable discussion is pointless. You can have the last word.

Reaction score
I might be offended if you even knew or understood what that view was but it's obvious you can't grasp it. No sweat. The thread will just continue to deteriorate to the point that any reasonable discussion is pointless. You can have the last word.
IDGAF if you're offended or not.

My point is this. We've gotten to the point where it's en vogue to bag on public servants. That's horseshit. These jobs were all available to the public. No one was complaining when public servants were making starting salaries of $40,000 in NY and required to live in NY.
It's clear you don't want people to bag on "public servants." aka, you don't want anyone complaining about their pay.

No one's bagging on them as people. You're taking this too personally, dodger. It's just an untenable situaton financially.
Here's TE telling you that you're taking it personally. Seems right on.

Then you made the previously posted "you're smarter than that" post where you said spending caused the "liberal states" to be broke, but were aghast that anyone included this story as evidence of "spending."

There it is in black and white. Deal with it.

Top Bottom