Mr.Po

Reaction score
C.J. .Spillman under investigation
Updated: October 1, 2014, 11:04 PM ET
By Calvin Watkins and Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

Dallas Cowboys safety C.J. Spillman is being investigated in connection with an alleged sexual assault at the team's hotel on September 20th, according to Grapevine, Texas police.

Police spokesperson Barry Bowling said a report was filed Sept. 20 and the matter is still under investigation and Spillman hasn't been charged or arrested.

According to a source, Spillman, who was signed by the Cowboys on Aug. 31, has cooperated fully in the investigation.

Police say the incident occurred at the Gaylord Hotel on Sept. 20, the day before the Cowboys played at St. Louis.

There was no immediate response from the Cowboys.

Several Cowboys' players stay at the Gaylord Hotel until they find apartments, which is the case with Spillman.

Recently, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett addressed the team about off-the-field conduct and mentioned domestic violence as part of his discussion.

Monday, the team welcomed the return of defensive tackle Josh Brent to the team. Brent was convicted of intoxication manslaughter resulting in the death of his best friend and Cowboys' practice squad player Jerry Brown.

Brent spent five months in jail and 45 days in a rehab facility before he was released. He was suspended for the first 10 weeks of the season but after the league failed to hear his appeal, it was amended and while he still can't play in a game until Week 10, he's now allowed to attend the team facilities.

"Again, part of what our jobs are as coaches is to create the right environment for our players to function both on and off the field," Garrett said. "So we need to be clear about where we are, we need to be clear that we have a structure in place to help anybody who has any off the field issues. Me as a coach, position coaches, player programs, departments, we have a lot of resources here to help guys.

"So that was the first message, if you're dealing with anything off the field and we can help with, we're here for you. Having said that, there is standards that we have about all off the field behavior and certainly domestic violence applies to that. We're just very clear with how we're going to handle things."

Reaction score
Our DT killed a guy. Our MLB has a rap sheet. And now we have a rapist on the team.

Rkgs. All of them.

Love what's being built here.

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Our DT killed a guy. Our MLB has a rap sheet. And now we have a rapist on the team.

Rkgs. All of them.

Not this shit again.

Brent went out to have drinks with his teammates, got way too drunk, and drove home. He's a drunk who got into an accident not a sociopath deliberately harming others for self gain or other reasons.

My number 1 concern is that he never do it again. I don't think you guys give a shit about that.

I really do not understand what you guys who don't want Brent on the team are trying to accomplish. It's doubly baffling considering the laissez faire attitude that permeates this place besides.

In many ways this place is a refuge for people that have been banned elsewhere due to the judgments of others and here you are judging Brent and calling for his ban. You have become Hostile. You have become jobberone. You have become that which you hate.

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Wait so Brent didn't kill a guy?

We have already established that he is responsible for the death of Jerry Brown. We are actually past the point asking what we should do about it seeing that he is already back at VR but he has yet to play a game so you guys have hope I guess.

I still fail to see your point though. He's been jailed, he's been suspended, he's been away from the game for two years. I don't understand why people here of all places would seek a ban or be derisive towards forgiveness. Seems arbitrary and amoral in comparison.

Reaction score
Personally, I prefer not to have teammates on my team who kill other people. Especially teammates.

I'm weird like that.

FuzzyLumpkins

In the Rotation
Reaction score
By my logic, Brent should be out of the league.

Nice try though.

My point is that you have one standard for yourself and another for everyone else. Frankly, I cannot take a thing you say regarding banning anyone seriously.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Spillman might not have to worry about finding a home in Dallas afterall.

That said, anytime I see "Gloria Allred" attached to something like this, I am skeptical.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score

Rkgs. All of them.

"Do I once again have to explain what RKG means?" ~Idgit

Top Bottom