Reaction score
Here are some other random observations:

•Last year, Bruce Carter entered the year on the PUP list, and bolstered the numbers at linebacker once he rejoined the team. This year, Kevin Kowalski is on the PUP, and once he returns, he'll find that's it's crowded along the offensive line spots. There will likely be a roster move coming here, if the Cowboys want to add Kowalski into the mix.

•I know it's hard to believe with the recent spate of injuries at the position, but three is actually the Cowboys' default number for running backs. Not four. And certainly not five.

•The Cowboys went heavy at tight end last year because they hadn't signed a fullback yet. They're going heavy again this year because Jason Witten is likely to miss games. Once Witten is back, I don't think they'll carry four tight ends over the whole season.

•Just one undrafted free agent (Cole Beasley) made the 53-man roster versus four players each in the previous two years. Whether this means that the roster depth has gotten better or that this year's UDFA class wasn't as good as in the previous years remains to be seen.

•Danny Coale was one of only three fifth-round picks to be cut yesterday. He was also the only Cowboys rookie to be cut. All other NFC East teams also cut at least one draft pick, and in a weird coincidence, all three teams cut sixth-rounders only: The Giants cut tackle Mack McCants, the Redskins cut tackle Tom Compton and the Eagles cut both WR Marvin McNutt and OG Brandon Washington.

•Five starters from last year are now not with the team anymore. Kyle Kosier and Montrae Holland are the offensive starters that left Dallas, on defense Terence Newman, Abe Elam and Bradie James are not with the Cowboys anymore. And these names only include the players who started more than half the games last year, so guys like Keith Brooking and Martellus Bennett don't even count here. After the 2010 season, the Cowboys jettisoned seven starters, meaning that a little over half the starters have turned over in two years.

•I don't know whether it's significant, but it's interesting: With the departures of Keith Brooking, Jon Kitna and Montrae Holland, Gerald Sensabaugh is the only free agent acquisition left on the roster from the Wade Phillips years.

•Only two players are left from the original 12 players chosen in the "Roy Williams draft" (Victor Butler and John Phillips). Counting Patrick Crayton as another RW casualty drives up the cost of that trade even further. Thankfully though, the 53-man roster is a "Williams Free Zone". After having five on the 53-man roster at some point in 2010 (Brandon, Jason, Leon, Roy, Teddy), there is not a single Williams left.

•Every year, the Cowboys conduct "Dallas Days" for draft eligible prospects from colleges and high schools within the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area. From this year's invitees, WR Cole Beasley made the 53-man roster. Lance Dunbar didn't, but at least made it to the practice squad.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
•I know it's hard to believe with the recent spate of injuries at the position, but three is actually the Cowboys' default number for running backs. Not four. And certainly not five.

•The Cowboys went heavy at tight end last year because they hadn't signed a fullback yet. They're going heavy again this year because Jason Witten is likely to miss games. Once Witten is back, I don't think they'll carry four tight ends over the whole season.

Lawrence Vickers says hello.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
•Danny Coale was one of only three fifth-round picks to be cut yesterday. He was also the only Cowboys rookie to be cut. All other NFC East teams also cut at least one draft pick, and in a weird coincidence, all three teams cut sixth-rounders only: The Giants cut tackle Mack McCants, the Redskins cut tackle Tom Compton and the Eagles cut both WR Marvin McNutt and OG Brandon Washington.

That Hannah pick looks real good right about now.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Should we have signed Willis McGahee last year? That way we could have traded Felix this year, have a formidable 1-2 punch at Rb and an extra draft pick.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
??? So your only allowed to sign free agents in Madden??? Dallas wasn't allowed to sign free agents or trade players???

Reaction score
More Analysis Of The Cowboys 53 Man Roster And Practice Squad
by Tom Ryle

With the Active/Inactive list of the Dallas Cowboys, more commonly known as the 53 man roster, now set in Jell-O, there are some conclusions, or more accurately, suppositions that can be made about what the team is up to this year. The current composition of the practice squad also indicates a few things. (At least to my febrile imagination.)

The first thing is what cutting Stephen McGee to sign TE Colin Cochart means. Most focus on the fact that the Cowboys have finally given up on trying to make a legitimate NFL quarterback out of the much maligned McGee, but it also seems to show that the team needs to be able to run two tight end sets. Cochart is insurance against Jason Witten not being ready for the opener against the New York Giants, but he is likely more than that. The team is looking for depth at tight end, and Cochart has a reputation as a good blocker. Bryan Broaddus has a nice film review up of him at DallasCowboys.com.

What he brings is a big body at the point of attack that is used to playing along the line. Not going to beat you with his hands but how he is able to block.

While this may inspire uncomfortable memories of Martellus Bennett, note that Cochart is the fourth TE, not the number two. And nowhere does it say that he is as clumsy with the ball as MartyB could be.

Speaking of 'tellus, he did have one comment lately that I have to pass along.

Marty B on Witten's toughness: 'I wouldn’t be surprised if he picked up his spleen, held it in his hand and tried to run routes.' #truth

— Carlos A. Mendez (@calexmendez) September 1, 2012
Everyone has moments of clarity.

The desire to have two tight ends on the field also dovetails into Jason Garrett's desire to establish a running game. In light of that, I thought it was interesting that both Lance Dunbar and Jamize Olawale were signed to the practice squad. With the 2011 season fresh in mind, when all three of the current running backs on the squad missed time due to injury, this looks to be an attempt to have spares stashed there. If a replacement is needed, the team has someone who knows the playbook so it does not have to rely on a street body. Also, the chance of both Dunbar and Olawale getting signed to some other team's Active/Inactive roster is very remote, so the Cowboys can be fairly confident they have the solution to injuries at this position already in place, and Olawale also could fill in for Lawrence Vickers in a pinch.

Danny Coale and Tim Benford serve the same function for wide receiver, for the same reasons. Right now, the odds would favor Coale and Dunbar as being the two practice squad members with the best chance of making it to the 53 man roster before the end of the season.

I am a bit surprised that there is no third quarterback anywhere on the roster. I don't look for that situation to last long. What I don't know is which way they will go. If they sign one for the 53, it would seem likely that Cochart would be the likely player to be cut. If the team finds one they like for the practice squad, you might notice that they have doubled up at RB, WR and DL. Best bets for a cut to make room would be Benford, Olawale, and either Robert Callaway or Ben Bass.

One thing that puzzled many was why Adrian Hamilton did not get signed to the practice squad. He wound up on the Baltimore Raven's PS. There apparently are two different versions of what happened. Josh Ellis at DallasCowboys.com has the prevalent storyline in his article on it.

Linebacker Adrian Hamilton, who had 20.5 sacks at Prairie View A&M in 2011, joined the Baltimore practice squad on Saturday, according to Ravens insider Aaron Wilson. The Cowboys did not attempt to sign Hamilton to their own eight-man practice roster, instead keeping only one linebacker, Orie Lemon.

However, Matt Mosley of Fox Sports Southwest gave a different account on Twitter.

Cowboys wanted Adrian Hamilton on their practice squad. But the Ravens scouted him extensively in preseason and he ended up choosing them

— Matt Mosley (@mattmosley) September 1, 2012
Don't know what the real story is here, or why there are different takes, but the guys at the mothership usually don't get that kind of stuff wrong.

Finally, my nominee for the current member of the current roster most likely to be replaced is Derrick Dockery. I believe he is almost certainly a placeholder until the team finds a better option.

Top Bottom