Reaction score
It is a great comparison, you are guys who just want to bitch. I bet you all wanted Irvin cut after his second season too. Luckily, no one listens or cares.

You obviously care. You just want to bitch about other Cowboys fans. That is why you are here.

5countem5

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You obviously care. You just want to bitch about other Cowboys fans. That is why you are here.

My opinion doesn't matter either, I meant the professionals couldn't care less about recliner jockey coaches.

Reaction score
On the one hand, if you have a chance to grab a potential top 5 talent in the 2nd round then maybe it's worth the risk. Especially if the player is a good character guy with a good head on his shoulders.

I wish we had gone in another direction. But I'll root for the kid.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
On the one hand, if you have a chance to grab a potential top 5 talent in the 2nd round then maybe it's worth the risk.

Agree and disagree. If you're a solid team, sure. If you are a team with as many holes on defense as we have, no. Also, in a deep draft, that risk at pick 34 is foolish.

The CBA comes into play now too. He's an unrestricted free agent after 4 years. We spend a year, maybe two rehabbing him, we get him healthy on the field for 2 years. Sure, we can franchise him but that puts a guy who's played 2 years up around $15 million dollars.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The CBA comes into play now too. He's an unrestricted free agent after 4 years. We spend a year, maybe two rehabbing him, we get him healthy on the field for 2 years. Sure, we can franchise him but that puts a guy who's played 2 years up around $15 million dollars.
Jerry won't care about that. As long as he gets props from the pundits on what a bargain he found, he'll be good with it.

Even if Romo is in a wheelchair by then.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
If Smith is the player we hope he is all of you gomers will be job knobbing him 24/7. Bunch of twits.

Reaction score
If Smith is the player we hope he is all of you gomers will be job knobbing him 24/7. Bunch of twits.

That's a pretty big "if" you got going there. Here's another what if - what if he never plays? Who is the "gomer" then? How often has this kind of gamble worked out?

It was a stupid fuckin' pick. It will most likely be one of the dumbest picks Jerry has ever made. If this guy doesn't recover then Jerry will have literally tossed a high 2nd round pick in the trash in a time when the team needed players who could contribute before Romo's window closes.

But... I would love to eat crow and be wrong. I've been wanting to eat crow for a long time regarding the Cowboys, but I still have an empty stomach.

Reaction score
But how likely is it that that happens?

What would you say the odds are, if you were a betting man?

I mean, it's easy to say "if." Man if I sell all my shit, go to vegas, put it all on black and hit, you guys will be slobbing my knob. Bunch of twits.

And that has at least a 49% chance of happening. Can you say with confidence that Jaylon not only fully recovers physically, then mentally, but develops into the type of player he looks to be in film? Because a lot of college studs fail in the NFL. He'd probably have a 25% bust rate if he was fully healthy, based just off statistics.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
onlyone is a huge Notre Dame homer.

And I don't think there's any doubt he was a great, great LB. I thought he was as good a player as anyone I saw last year.

But that doesn't matter if his injury doesn't properly heal.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Bunch of twits. Hell, that dumbass is apparently as bad a Notre Dame homer as that countem dude is a Jones knob slobber.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If Jaylon doesn't play, homers will say it's the doctor's fault, poor Jerry as given bad information aka his sources played a trick on him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

We all want him to be great. By all accounts he's a great kid and he was obviously an exceptional player at Notre Dame. If he weren't injured he'd almost assuredly been a top-5 pick. There's no question that if he is 100% that he will help the team.

But it was a tremendous risk of a very premium pick for us. If the defense was loaded then you could understand, but the defense isn't. There's no guarantee he ever even sees the field, let alone returns to the form he had at Notre Dame. His injury wasn't a broken leg or a run of the mill ACL. If we had picked him later I doubt many would complain, but we used a borderline 1st round pick on a guy that isn't going to help us any this year and by many accounts is a longshot to help us next year, if ever.

Dustdevil

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Your 2nd round pick is a core player. A guy who is very good and might with luck, develop into a superstar. I don't have a problem with taking chances. However, there is a time and place for that. If they had taken Jalen at the top of the THIRD round, I could see it. But this team needs that 2nd to contribute now. Not sure if risking a high 2nd on a guy that probably won't play a down for you this season (and for which you have one less year on his initial contract to evaluate) is wise.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Your 2nd round pick is a core player. A guy who is very good and might with luck, develop into a superstar. I don't have a problem with taking chances. However, there is a time and place for that. If they had taken Jalen at the top of the THIRD round, I could see it. But this team needs that 2nd to contribute now. Not sure if risking a high 2nd on a guy that probably won't play a down for you this season (and for which you have one less year on his initial contract to evaluate) is wise.

Jerry has always treated the second as a gamble round. Your point is s good one. The second is where you should be mining future starters

Top Bottom