Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He is not a run stuffer. He would play a 3-technique in this defense (the "Sapp" role). The 1-technique is the run stuffer or what Booger McFarland used to play for Kiffin in Tampa.

A disruptive tackle like Donald is exactly what this defense needs.

The Ratliff miscalculation was the biggest issue last season. Our idiotic decision to depend on him to play that vital role on the defense was devastating, not the Spencer/Crawford/Bass injuries.

I stand corrected on the 3 technique (run stuffer), my bad. I won't quit my day job.

Reaction score
This defense needs youth and talent at both 1 and 3 technique DT's. On passing downs, the 1 has to pressure by collapsing the pocket while the 3 penetrates. The 1 is almost like a 3-4 NT in that regard.

The 3 is the star, but the 1 makes everything happen around him.

Reaction score
He is not a run stuffer. He would play a 3-technique in this defense (the "Sapp" role). The 1-technique is the run stuffer or what Booger McFarland used to play for Kiffin in Tampa.

A disruptive tackle like Donald is exactly what this defense needs.

The Ratliff miscalculation was the biggest issue last season. Our idiotic decision to depend on him to play that vital role on the defense was devastating, not the Spencer/Crawford/Bass injuries.

Crawford was a miscalculation too. Spending that kind of pick on a player penciled in to be rotational depth is stupid.

Reaction score
dpbrugler·9 hrs
FWIW, one NFL personnel guy told me this week that this is the "worst group of Senior Bowl prospects in 20 years" #NFLDraft

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dane Brugler @dpbrugler

I asked 5 NFL personnel guys who will be the top #SeniorBowl prospect drafted. Results: Zack Martin (3 votes), Carr (1), Donald (1)

Retweeted by Bryan Broaddus

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
dpbrugler·9 hrs
FWIW, one NFL personnel guy told me this week that this is the "worst group of Senior Bowl prospects in 20 years" #NFLDraft

That might be true, but some of that is because more and more juniors come out every yr, and this year set another record.

Reaction score
What would the quality or number of juniors coming out have to do with the talent at the Senior Bowl?

I could see if a record number of juniors came out last year, thus robbing the senior year this year of talent.... but the junior year this year has no bearing on talent at the senior bowl because the seniors aren't being compared to or competing against the underclassmen at this venue.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What would the quality or number of juniors coming out have to do with the talent at the Senior Bowl?

I could see if a record number of juniors came out last year, thus robbing the senior year this year of talent.... but the junior year this year has no bearing on talent at the senior bowl because the seniors aren't being compared to or competing against the underclassmen at this venue.

Mid, if somebody comes out as a Junior, they don't play as a Senior, and therefore arnt available for the next years Senior Bowl

It gets more and more deluded every yr due to the larger and larger numbers that declare early. This is the 4th consecutive year a record was set for number declaring. Last 4 yrs numbers: 98 (this yr, far and away most ever), 75, 65, 56

A lot of those guys would be at the Senior Bowl had they not come out.

Reaction score
Mid, if somebody comes out as a Junior, they don't play as a Senior, and therefore arnt available for the next years Senior Bowl

It gets more and more deluded every yr due to the larger and larger numbers that declare early. This is the 4th consecutive year a record was set for number declaring. Last 4 yrs numbers: 98 (this yr, far and away most ever), 75, 65, 56

A lot of those guys would be at the Senior Bowl had they not come out.

No, I get that. I think I stated that as well.

But the guy didn't point to a downward trend in the Senior Bowl talent levels, just that this years class sucked balls.

I get your point. I hope we can remain friends.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No, I get that. I think I stated that as well.

But the guy didn't point to a downward trend in the Senior Bowl talent levels, just that this years class sucked balls.

I get your point. I hope we can remain friends.

I still respect you amigo

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Well I trump your draft guides with my hindsight. He now reeks of UDFA. Miscalculation.

I think he looked a lot better than a UDFA and almost assuredly would have started last yr had he been healthy.

I think he's going to be solid player.

Top Bottom