Reaction score
Swearinger, Armstead, Brown, S. Moore, D. Moore, Warford, Lacy, Hunt, Lemonier, Spence, Schwenke...there are others I would have taken over Escobar.

I hope like hell he is productive, but I just can't see it. I saw someone at the Zone predict 600 yards for him this year...maybe that was dbair. By all accounts he is not a strong blocker and how is he going to put up any kind of numbers with the skill guys we already have?

Reaction score
Bennett might be a good comparison, although he can block. He never even caught 300 yards worth of passes. He is a good example though of why Escobar was a bad pick.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That's because their great hope as a 2nd receiving TE turned out to be a much better blocker than reliable receiving threat.

Using Escobar and Hanna as an extra blocker would be a waste of time.

Oh is that why?

Perhaps it's just coincidental that the last two guys who were drafted to be the #2 TE left Dallas and had much better receiving performances. Fasano and Bennett.

Hanna and Escobar will likely be used similarly. It wasn't because Bennett couldn't catch that Dallas made him a blocker, it's because they couldn't block with 5 OL.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Swearinger, Armstead, Brown, S. Moore, D. Moore, Warford, Lacy, Hunt, Lemonier, Spence, Schwenke...there are others I would have taken over Escobar.

I hope like hell he is productive, but I just can't see it. I saw someone at the Zone predict 600 yards for him this year...maybe that was dbair. By all accounts he is not a strong blocker and how is he going to put up any kind of numbers with the skill guys we already have?

Someone at the zone predicted 450 yards and 5 TDs between Escobar and Williams.

That would be a tragic waste of resources if a 2nd and 3rd round pick just bare outproduce Ogletree.

Genghis Khan

Cheerleader
Reaction score

That would be a tragic waste of resources if a 2nd and 3rd round pick just bare outproduce Ogletree.

The problem is Escobar.

You're supposed to draft for the future anyway. The production they put up this year doesn't represent a waste. The waste of resources comes if they aren't strong contributors in 2 or 3 years.

I can envision Williams being a key contributor in a couple of years.

There's a good chance Escobar is still a bit player like Fasano and Bennett before him up to the moment he leaves the team. That's the problem.

Reaction score
Then why is he wrong pretty much all the time?

Wrong in what way? On player evaluations? Sounds like the Cowboys...which is really the point. The Cowboys don't put people on their website as team mouthpieces to be free thinkers.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
The Patriots tried unsuccessfully to find the players to run the 2-TE set for awhile too. Since at least 2004 when they drafted Ben Watson in the 1st round to pair with Daniel Graham; who they also chose with a 1st round selection in 2002.

They struck out selecting 2 TEs in the 2006 draft: David Thomas and Garrett Mills; 3rd and 4th round respectively.

Finally they hit it rich in the 2010 draft with the selections of Gronkowski and Hernandez.

So as has been proven, it takes time.

What has "hitting it rich" gotten them? They haven't won a superbowl since '04, long before Gronkowski and Hernandez made it there. Maybe if they weren't pouring resources into the TE position, they could have made it back during Brady's peak years. He's nearing the end now, and his surplus of TEs isn't looking so hot now.

Reaction score
The problem is Escobar.

You're supposed to draft for the future anyway. The production they put up this year doesn't represent a waste. The waste of resources comes if they aren't strong contributors in 2 or 3 years.

I can envision Williams being a key contributor in a couple of years.

There's a good chance Escobar is still a bit player like Fasano and Bennett before him up to the moment he leaves the team. That's the problem.

I'm not expecting much from Williams this year, unless Austin's hamstrings act up again.

Unless Williams gets into an incredible comfort zone with Romo between now and week 1, he's going to be the 4th option at best on most passing downs.

As far as Escobar is concerned, usually I'd agree with the notion that he was drafted for the future but before signing off on the Escobar draft pick, Jerry made it pretty clear that he wanted to see more production and usage of the 2nd TE.

Reaction score
I like Williams to produce next year. I still want Harris to get his time, but Williams will give us that true stretch threat we need.

Reaction score
I like Williams to produce next year. I still want Harris to get his time, but Williams will give us that true stretch threat we need.

I really hope Harris takes that next step next year. I like his RAC ability.

He's a guy who could be a great weapon out of the slot.

I think he could easily put up 35 catches and 450 yds mixed in with a few TDs.

Those aren't monstrous numbers but considering the other weapons we have on the team, I'd love it if we got that from Harris.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

There's nothing awful about those numbers...that's probably about right for fourth and fifth options, respectively...especially if we end up throwing the ball less.

The issue with Ogletree was his dependability. If those two can catch what's thrown to them and run the right routes, it's fine.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ha! You apparently haven't watched the last 6 years of Dallas running the 2TE sets.

Pretty big difference in the OL the Patriots have vs the OL Dallas has had most of those years though.

If our guys pass blocked (or got away with holding) the way the Pats did, I doubt you' have seen Witten, Fasano or Bennett staying in to block on pass plays very much.

Top Bottom