boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The Patriots tried unsuccessfully to find the players to run the 2-TE set for awhile too. Since at least 2004 when they drafted Ben Watson in the 1st round to pair with Daniel Graham; who they also chose with a 1st round selection in 2002.

They struck out selecting 2 TEs in the 2006 draft: David Thomas and Garrett Mills; 3rd and 4th round respectively.

Finally they hit it rich in the 2010 draft with the selections of Gronkowski and Hernandez.

So as has been proven, it takes time.

All that proves is that if you fucking waste enough resources, you have got to hit on gold eventually.

For some reason, I don't think the Patriots will spend 3 of their next 6 2nd rounders trying to duplicate it.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
All that proves is that if you fucking waste enough resources, you have got to hit on gold eventually.

For some reason, I don't think the Patriots will spend 3 of their next 6 2nd rounders trying to duplicate it.

Why not?

It's alleviated their need to miss on 1st round receivers.

Reaction score
Hankins has bust written all over him.

Liked Swearinger, but we ended up with Wilcox who has a chance to be pretty good himself.

Yes. Hankins has "bust written all over him" but that small school project safety with one year experience "has a chance to be pretty good."

GO COWBOYS!!!!

Reaction score
There were several weeks where the defense had to face a quality tight end and Hanna was making play after play against Rob Ryan’s group and the coaches stood up and took notice.

That doesn't impress me. Anyone could do that to Ryan's defense.

As for Hanna and Escobar, I hated the idea of burning another high draft pick on another TE.

I think the smart move would have been to give Hanna one more year to prove his worth. I thought he showed some potential last year. He has a few nice plays.

I'm a Sooner fan so I'm pretty familiar with Hanna's game. I know he needs work with his blocking, because the Sooners didn't put a lot emphasis on running the ball. But I felt that it was something that could be improved over time.

It will be interesting to see the role that Jerry plays when deciding playing time for the TEs. Most of the reports I've seen indicate that Hanna has clearly been better than Escobar, but I could easily see Jerry leaning on Garrett to ensure that the shiny new draft pick sees the field as much as possible.

Last edited:

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think the smart move would have been to give Hanna one more year to prove his worth. I thought he showed some potential last year. He has a few nice plays.

That would mean this organization is capable of good consistent self-evaluation instead of simply replacing parts as they flop going along.

The last guy worth developing that we actually nailed was Miles Austin...and even that boon has been spoiled.

I don't think Hanna was OMG great, but he was good enough where we could have not made his position a priority over completely chronic problem areas we have had on this roster.

If you took our drafting history, you would think we were a good team that was just missing that one MFing TE to hit the big time.

It is comical.

Reaction score
New England's success with the two TE offense is the exception to the rule. Also, running the 2 TE hasn't yielded the Patriots anymore success than they've typically had prior to 2010.

The Cowboys don't need a stud #2 TE to be successful. They need three things.

They need better DL and OL play.

Better coaching on both sides of the ball.

And a better GM and football environment.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
New England's success with the two TE offense is the exception to the rule. Also, running the 2 TE hasn't yielded the Patriots anymore success than they've typically had prior to 2010.

The Cowboys don't need a stud #2 TE to be successful. They need three things.

They need better DL and OL play.

Better coaching on both sides of the ball.

And a better GM and football environment.

Props, 1big.

I think you are the only black guy here too...so tread lightly.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No we got Laz (he's the real militant type brother brotha), Bonecrusher31, and I think 2233boys.

I can't speak for Bonecrusher, but 2233 is full of so much self loathing, he can't be black. It is almost Jewish how he guilts and punishes himself with regularity.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
No we got Laz (he's the real militant type brother brotha), Bonecrusher31, and I think 2233boys.

I guess that explains why he called me a racist the other day. Well, that and my racism.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
You guys just might well have put a big bullseye on 1bigfan's chest.

He wouldn't happen to be half-Jewish would he? Like Lenny Kravitz?

Top Bottom