Reaction score
By Mike Heika / Reporter
mheika@dallasnews.com
4:55 pm on December 26, 2012 | Permalink

Cowboys linebacker Brady Poppinga has been in the league long enough to know that a good part of defensive play is intimidation, so he was clear that if the Cowboys have a chance to change the decision-making of the Washington Redskins and quarterback Robert Griffin III when it comes to running, they need to do just that.

“I think one thing you have to do with him, especially when you have an option quarterback who’s exposed, is you have to inflict him with pain,” Poppinga said when asked about stopping Griffin, the Heisman Trophy winner from Baylor. “Not that you’re trying to knock the guy out or anything, but you have to tackle him, and you have to hit him and you have to make it to where the coach says, ‘Look, we need to protect our guy a little more’ and then they implement certain other kinds of running plays and things of that nature.”

Griffin leads the NFL in average yards per carry at 6.6. He has 752 yards and six touchdowns on 114 carries. However, he had 29 yards rushing on seven carries against the Cowboys in a 38-31 win on Thanksgiving, and instead threw for 304 yards and four touchdowns. So, the Cowboys will have their hands full either way.

Still, if Griffin tries to run an option play, Poppinga says the best answer is a hard, clean tackle.

“That’s a lot of the reason that option football isn’t really utilized in the NFL, because the quarterback is exposed. At the end of the day, when he’s running and you don’t know if he’s going to pitch the ball or not, you’ve got to take a clean, legal shot on him and let him know that ‘hey, this is football’,” Poppinga said. “He’s a tough kid now. This isn’t a guy who is going shy away from contact and he’s not a guy who I would say one of those smaller kind of guys who tends to get injured a lot. I mean, he’s a hand full. But from a defensive perspective, if he’s going to be exposed in the option, you want to get some good shots on him and you want to test his toughness. He is tough, but you want to test it.”

Mr X

Reaction score
That's nice, but Griffin will be running circles around this defense.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Great bulletin board material there you nutcase.

Man come off of it. Since when did the Redskins need "bulletein board" material to get them revved up for the Cowboys? They are ALWAYS revved up for the Co9wboys, but in the past they would come up short. They are playing at home, with the playoffs and division title on the line, and with a chance to eliminate their hated emeny from playoff contention while sweeping them... what is there NOT for them to get up for?

Has it realy fucking come down to this? That we have to worry about the offending the sensabilities of the fucking Redskins, and that they might use it as bulletain board material? THIS is one of the main fucking reasons I hate Garrett. It shouldn't even be coming down to this: avoid finishing with a .500 record for the second straight year in a row, and having a chance to make the playoffs.

Had we a HC that knew what the fuck they were doing, we'd be fucking playing for either the #1 or #2 seed in the playoffs. We'd have had the division title wrapped up right now, with no less than a 10-6 record.

Wade had a winning record for the Cowboys right up until 2010---his FIRST losing record for the Cowboys, and he gets the can. By no means am I defending Wade, but I'm merely pointing out the absurdity of getting rid of Wade and keeping AND promoting Garrett, when he was just as responsible or even moreso for the first half of 2010, and he hasn't gotten any better.

The fact that we are in this situation right now, is evident that we do not have what it takers to win a BIG GAME of this magnitude.
If we lose to the Redskins, it won't be because of Poppinga popping off in the media.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He literally said "the best way to stop a running QB from running is to make sure you hit him so he'll think twice about running".

Not bulletin board material. Stop reading the thread title and commenting before reading the article.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He should STFU though. Dude wasn't even here the first time we played them.

And he can't even find practice. He's the last thing from some team spokesman.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He literally said "the best way to stop a running QB from running is to make sure you hit him so he'll think twice about running".

Not bulletin board material. Stop reading the thread title and commenting before reading the article.

I read the article. He said he's going to try to inflict pain on RG3. That's bulletin board material.

Thanks

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Oh I forgot most of the time when you hit the QB it feels fucking amazing for both parties. So saying you want to inflict pain is really out of the norm.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Oh I forgot most of the time when you hit the QB it feels fucking amazing for both parties. So saying you want to inflict pain is really out of the norm.

It's understood that hitting the QB inflicts pain. You don't have to open your big mouth and say that's what you want to do.

Reaction score
I imagine RG3 will take off running on a critical third down, only to get hit short of the sticks. His body wants to go down, but in his mind he remembers what Brandon Popwilliamjenga said and uses those words as motivation to will himself past the sticks to a first down.

Damn you Bradly Popjohansengola! Damn you to hell.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I imagine RG3 will take off running on a critical third down, only to get hit short of the sticks. His body wants to go down, but in his mind he remembers what Brandon Popwilliamjenga said and uses those words as motivation to will himself past the sticks to a first down.

Damn you Bradly Popjohansengola! Damn you to hell.

from people's reaction this appears to be the most likely scenario.

Kilyin

Reaction score
I received an email that I needed to post here or we may lose to the mighty Foreskins. In the interest of "labels out" mass appeal to people that drink piss-water commercials, and superstitions...

I bring you...

Ticky Tack penalty on Poppinga vs. Saints...

PoppingaFlag_zps3f2ead5f.gif

And isolated for the luls...

LOLRyan_zpse1778679.gif

Top Bottom