C

Cr122

Updated: April 16, 2011, 7:24 PM ET
Amir Khan keeps WBA title

MANCHESTER, England -- Amir Khan retained his WBA light welterweight title on points after Paul McCloskey was stopped by the referee in the sixth round because of a nasty cut over his left eye on Saturday.

Referee Luiz Pabon deemed the cut to have come from an accidental clash of heads, and summoned ringside doctor Phil Sahu, who believed McCloskey couldn't continue with blood seeping into his eye and impairing his vision.

McCloskey disagreed but Pabon sent the fight to scorecards, and the Irish challenger and his team were livid.

All three judges had Khan leading 60-54 halfway through the scheduled 12-round bout, and the Englishman improved to 25-1 with 17 knockouts.

McCloskey, the European champion, was furious with the decision that cost him his first loss in 23 fights, and his team believed Khan should have been disqualified.

Khan started patiently against the challenger's rangy southpaw style. But Khan landed a big right at the start of the second that visibly shook McCloskey, who recovered with a few shots of his own by the end of the round.

McCloskey grew in confidence, and his left crosses in the third pushed Khan back.

Another tactical few rounds followed, with Khan the main aggressor.

In the decisive sixth, a five-punch combination from Khan staggered McCloskey and moments later the pair went toe-to-toe before McCloskey wheeled away and noticed blood coming from around his left eye.

The referee immediately brought the fight to an abrupt end to a chorus of boos from the 6,000-strong crowd of McCloskey fans.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

C

Cr122

Joe Frazier Former Heavy Weight Champ dead at 67. Espn is reporting.

RIP.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Joe Frazier Former Heavy Weight Champ dead at 67. Espn is reporting.

RIP.

Yep, sorry to hear that. That was real boxing back then, not this trash we see now.

Boxing hasnt worth a shit in two decades IMO

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Wow. Shocker.

I knew Joseph well. See, I have a friend that attends more boxing camps than you can shake a stick at here in AZ. He attended one that Joseph was sponsoring. My friend invited me to go along, I agreed.

Joseph is the nicest guy. He told me a story about when he was a young aspiring boxer. His mother was too poor to buy him a punching bag, so every night, she'd hang from the rafters in the garage and be his punching bag.

As Joseph finished that story, he started getting emotional.

He said, "Hostile, man, she never even flinched."

Chills.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Wow. Shocker.

I knew Joseph well. See, I have a friend that attends more boxing camps than you can shake a stick at here in AZ. He attended one that Joseph was sponsoring. My friend invited me to go along, I agreed.

Joseph is the nicest guy. He told me a story about when he was a young aspiring boxer. His mother was too poor to buy him a punching bag, so every night, she'd hang from the rafters in the garage and be his punching bag.

Chills.

lol lol lol

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Wow. Shocker.

Chills.

lol

So you're Fraudstile! I knew it!

Top Bottom