Simple Yes or No vote: Bill Bates for the Cowboys Ring of Honor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bate's best years were in the 90s. You never saw him play on Jimmy's teams?

Bates best years as a defensive player were for Landry in the mid 80's. He didn't play a ton on defense for Jimmy and was injured and missed the super bowl run in 1992.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Bates best years as a defensive player were for Landry in the mid 80's. He didn't play a ton on defense for Jimmy and was injured and missed the super bowl run in 1992.
He only started three seasons for Tom at Safety. He played in Jimmy's nickel package on defense and continued to be a terror on special teams. He sealed Jimmy's first playoff win with a timely interception on Chicago's last possession. He missed most of the 92 season but his best work was in the 90s in Jimmy's scheme. After the 1993 season, he was selected by his teammates to receive the Ed Block Courage Award for successfully overcoming this injury which at the time medically, was almost always a career ender. He played in and has rings for, the other two 90s Super Bowls.

Bates received the team’s Bob Lilly Award four consecutive seasons from 1990 to 1994. This award is selected by a vote of the fans and annually goes to the Cowboy player who displays leadership and character on and off the field.

Bates was a bit of a liability in coverage in Landry's scheme.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
So, now we are to believe that Bates should get in as a special-teamer/nickel safety?

Really?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So, now we are to believe that Bates should get in as a special-teamer/nickel safety?

Really?
As I have said, Bates qualifies for his fifteen years of ass kicking service, his honor and courage, and his outstanding contributions to the Dallas Cowboys.

As soon as you name another player from any other team the NFL created a new position for in the Pro Bowl, feel free to do so.

I can name one other, from Dallas and another who should be in the RoH, Daryl Johnston. He and Bates should be inducted together. The NFL added the Fullback position to the Pro Bowl too, Due mainly to Johnston's contributions. Prior to this change, blocking fullbacks had little chance of beating out traditional running backs, who had better statistics. In 1993 Johnston became the first fullback ever selected for the Pro Bowl. earning trips in 1993 and in 1994.

The Moose and "Boom" Bates. RoH stalwarts.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'll add Jim Jeffcoat and Darren Woodson to Bates and the Moose, for the next inductions to the Ring.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He only started three seasons for Tom at Safety. He played in Jimmy's nickel package on defense and continued to be a terror on special teams. He sealed Jimmy's first playoff win with a timely interception on Chicago's last possession. He missed most of the 92 season but his best work was in the 90s in Jimmy's scheme. After the 1993 season, he was selected by his teammates to receive the Ed Block Courage Award for successfully overcoming this injury which at the time medically, was almost always a career ender. He played in and has rings for, the other two 90s Super Bowls.

Again, his best seasons as a defensive player were for Landry. Go look at his numbers, it isn't even close.

Bates received the team’s Bob Lilly Award four consecutive seasons from 1990 to 1994. This award is selected by a vote of the fans and annually goes to the Cowboy player who displays leadership and character on and off the field.

Nobody is questioning his leadership skills and character, but he isn't one of the best players in franchise history. Its not even close either.

Love the guy but there are a lot of other guys who were better football players here.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Yet again, they created a position in the Pro Bowl for him because he wasn't good enough to get in otherwise.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
How many people do you want to let in? You called the guy a top 10 all time safety. Well fine, if you are going to have 100-200 players in your ring he should probably be up there.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
I did not. The Dallas Cowboys did.

He is listed in the top ten all time for Dallas safeties, Dallas UDFAs and tied with Tuey and Too Tall for most years played in Dallas. Read the OP - the NFL CREATED A SPOT JUST FOR HIM in the Pro Bowl for fuck's sakes! How many other players have that distinction?

He is in the top ten of all-time Dallas safeties. He didn't just play special teams.

No, he is listed as a top ten Dallas SAFETY. Nothing at all to do with his special teams play.

We are talking about RoH credentials here and Bates is IN the top ten for Dallas Cowboys safeties.

It's understandable that YOU are unable to process it. He THRIVED MORE on special teams does not in any way mean he makes the all time SAFETIES list because of that.

I haven't "flinched" at all, and pointing out he is a top ten Dallas safety is just that - has nothing at all to do with being in the RoH it was merely educational for those who continue to underrate Bates due mostly to simply just their own ignorance of his career.

It's not my fault people are employing the "argument from ignorance" fallacy.

Your whole retarded argument was centered around it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think I would say its highly unlikely he'd be in the top-10 safeties in team history if they dont consider his special teams work...just off the top of my head I'd have guys like Waters, Harris, Woodson, Downs, Everett, James Washington, Roy Williams ahead of him. I'm sure I could go back a little further and find others as well.

Again I love the guy and he was the epitome of an over achiver and 100% class act, but he was not one of the best players in team history unless you want to argue that he was the best special teamer in team history.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
:lol

Almost missed this.

Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier in the thread. He tried to argue both sides of it. Mainly because there is no reason for him to be in the ROH, and he is having to pull shit out of his ass to try to make the argument.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
I get liking the player, but just cause you like a guy doesnt mean he is suddenly worthy of being the in the Ring of Honor.

Top Bottom