Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Following the Dallas Cowboys' dramatic 24-23 victory over the Washington Redskins in Week 16, we have some random thoughts on the game and the future as we enter the final week of the regular season.

" This could be the end of wide receiver Miles Austin's career with the Cowboys. He participated in 33 snaps and wasn't a factor at all. He did make a nice eight-yard reception on a low throw from quarterback Tony Romo, but on the last drive of the game, Austin was watching until the final play. Terrance Williams (27 snaps) and Cole Beasley (13 snaps) took some snaps from Austin and rightfully so because they're making more plays than him right now. Austin's hamstrings are a sore subject at Valley Ranch and that could be the reason why he played in 63 percent of the snaps. If the Cowboys make a financial move regarding Austin, it saves the team $5 million if he's a post-June 1 cut. Williams and Beasley seemed to be the future now and Austin is moving to the past -- the game snaps he received against the Redskins are proving that.

" Whoever the Cowboys sign as the No. 2 quarterback, with Romo's expected absence, behind Kyle Orton isn't joining the team with the expectation he'll play against the Eagles. The quarterback will need to give the Cowboys' defense a good look over three days of practices. The Cowboys have to find a quarterback who can be mobile, something Tyler Thigpen is, and a player who makes the safe throws, which could be David Carr or even Richard Bartel. It will be hard to get a quarterback up to speed on the Cowboys' offense. There will be a certain package of plays that quarterback will need to know heading into the contest, but the looks this quarterback gives the Cowboys defense in practice is vital.

" If Monte Kiffin retires or is fired at season's end, finding his replacement might not be on the staff. Defensive line coach Rod Marinelli could leave and join Lovie Smith as his defensive coordinator if the former Bears coach gets a head coaching gig. Leon Lett could slide over and become the new Cowboys' defensive line coach. Vikings coach Leslie Frazier, who is under fire for his team's struggles, might not be retained. Frazier should get a strong look as the defensive coordinator for the Cowboys should changes occur with him. Frazier was a defensive backs coach under Tony Dungy, who employed a semblance of the Tampa 2 scheme with the Colts.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
" Whoever the Cowboys sign as the No. 2 quarterback, with Romo's expected absence, behind Kyle Orton isn't joining the team with the expectation he'll play against the Eagles. The quarterback will need to give the Cowboys' defense a good look over three days of practices. The Cowboys have to find a quarterback who can be mobile, something Tyler Thigpen is, and a player who makes the safe throws, which could be David Carr or even Richard Bartel. It will be hard to get a quarterback up to speed on the Cowboys' offense. There will be a certain package of plays that quarterback will need to know heading into the contest, but the looks this quarterback gives the Cowboys defense in practice is vital.

We know the answer to this, now.

Cowboys sign retired QB Jon Kitna as emergency behind Romo

MIKE FISHER | Published: Tuesday, December 24, 2013, 6:19pm

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys making moves on a trio of quarterback fronts: Overseeing a steroid injection for Tony Romo's disc problem in hopes that he can play Sunday; preparing well-paid veteran backup Kyle Orton to serve as the starter in the Week 17 showdown against the visiting Eagles; and signing 41-year-old Jon Kitna – three years after his NFL retirement -- to serve as the third-string quarterback.

Sources tell FOX Sports Southwest that Romo is undergoing a battery of therapeutic efforts – laser treatment, anti-spasmodics, untrasound, electronic therapy, spinal traction and the steroid injection – that belie premature reports that the back injury will sideline him for the season.

Sources have also said that if Romo's problem is "motor-skills-related" he is out, but that if the issue (a disc pressing against nerves) is "only pain-related" that he has a chance to play.

"Tony will play with all the pain," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones told radio station 105.3 The Fan. "But his doctor hasn't cleared him. … "He is going through treatment beginning [Monday] and if that treatment has positive implications that it certainly has a chance to have, then he should not be ruled out in any way for this game."

In the meantime, the veteran Orton – who signed a signed to a three-year, $10.5 million contract before the 2012 season for what Jones said was occasions just like this one -- is being penciled in as the starter. And while the Cowboys gave Valley Ranch tryouts to a handful of other street-free-agent QBs (David Carr, Tyler Thigpen, Caleb Hanie and John Skelton), they have so little time to make sure an extra quarterback is capable of consuming the playbook by Sunday that they are going with Kitna, 41.

The trust level here is high; Kitna, now a coach and teacher in Tacoma, got the the call at his home and agreed to re-join his old team without a tryout.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
" If Monte Kiffin retires or is fired at season's end, finding his replacement might not be on the staff. Defensive line coach Rod Marinelli could leave and join Lovie Smith as his defensive coordinator if the former Bears coach gets a head coaching gig. Leon Lett could slide over and become the new Cowboys' defensive line coach. Vikings coach Leslie Frazier, who is under fire for his team's struggles, might not be retained. Frazier should get a strong look as the defensive coordinator for the Cowboys should changes occur with him. Frazier was a defensive backs coach under Tony Dungy, who employed a semblance of the Tampa 2 scheme with the Colts.

Look at the slanted shit this guy writes. Marinelli isn't going anywhere unless we give him permission to, Calvin.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, Marinelli would be my first coach I'd promote.

We could promote him to DC, but we don't have to since he's under contract for another year. He has to get our permission to go anywhere - even if it's a promotion.

Reaction score
I think he can leave if he is getting a promotion, but I'd bet Jerry gives him permission. He wants to leave, let him leave.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jon's right, we don't have to unless it's for a head coach (I mean Head Coach) position, but I agree that I bet Jerry would let him go if he really wanted to.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If Lovie Smith gets the Texans job and Marnelli did leave to become the DC there, I could easily see the Texans winning 10 or more games next year.

They have talent on both sides of the ball unlike we do.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think he can leave if he is getting a promotion, but I'd bet Jerry gives him permission. He wants to leave, let him leave.

I'd rather have Marinelli, but if we ended up with Frazier, that wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If Lovie Smith gets the Texans job and Marnelli did leave to become the DC there, I could easily see the Texans winning 10 or more games next year.

They have talent on both sides of the ball unlike we do.

Hardly. There offense SUCKS. Who is their QB? Johnson is old and was pretty much a non-factor this year. And their RBs... Foster is showing decline.

Top Bottom