C

Cr122

Barber's preseason totals: 11 carries, 20 yards; other notes

12:36 AM CDT on Sunday, August 29, 2010

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com

Marion Barber has done little in the exhibition season to justify his standing as the leadoff hitter in the three-back offense.

Barber gained yards on only two of his four carries. His total of minus-2 yards on four carries dropped him to 23 yards on 12 carries in exhibition play. A year ago, Barber had 92 yards on 26 carries in the exhibition games.

Romo will change audible process: Quarterback Tony Romo tried to take the heat off running back Felix Jones for a second-quarter foul-up that led to a turnover.

With a first down at the Houston 16, Romo changed the play at the line to a pitch left to Jones. The only problem was that Jones thought the original run call was still in effect. He went to take a handoff, and Romo tossed the ball to where Jones was supposed to be. He was not there, and Houston recovered at its 36.

Romo said the crowd noise kept Jones from picking up the audible. Romo learned a lesson from this and will use a hand signal to backs in the future when changing the play.

"You need to be able to signal something to the people that aren't near you," Romo said. "This should speed up the process. It's disappointing that happened, but it will benefit us in the long run to have things at our disposal."

Texans introduce horn: The Houston Texans introduced a new touch for home games: a 170-decible horn that sounds 30 and 15 minutes before kickoff.

Fans apparently have an odd habit of not being in their seats at kickoff, preferring to trickle in as the game unfolds. Texans management decided the horn could help put an end to that tradition.

It should get the patrons' attention. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration prohibits exposure to more than 115 decibels for more than 15 minutes. The 170-decibel burst was to be much shorter.

Briefly: Rookie right tackle Sam Young suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee in the fourth quarter. He will have an MRI today. ... Right tackle Marc Colombo (knee), left guard Kyle Kosier (knee) and defensive end Marcus Spears (knee) did not make the trip to Houston. Colombo and Spears are expected to be ready for the season opener, but Kosier could miss the first two games.

Staff Writer Gerry Fraley contributed to this report

• • •

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder as to what happened to Roy38 is now happening to Barber: he found "religion". He was quoting a bunch of Bible scriptures in his tweets. I don't have anything against religion---I consider myself religious---to a degree, but why do players have to turn into the Buddhist Monk Cerrano from Major League II, instead of the Sinister Minister late Reggie White? He laid alot of "prayer" on opposing QBs.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder as to wqhat hap[pened to Roy38 is now happening to Barber: he found "religion". He was quoting a bunch of Bible scriptures in his tweets. I don't have anything against religion---I consider myself religious---to a degree, but why do players have to trun into the Buddhist Monk Cerrano from Major League II, instead of the Sinister Minister late Reggie White? He laid alot of "prayer" on opposing QBs.

You might be on to something there. I'm ready for the 2 headed monster (Jones/Choice) with Barber used for short yardage and sometimes in the Redzone.

He's gotta go along with Roy Will next year.

C

Cr122

You might be on to something there. I'm ready for the 2 headed monster (Jones/Choice) with Barber used for short yardage and sometimes in the Redzone.

I'd throw in Bennett too.

sbk92

Reaction score
What happened to Barber is the offensive line sucks. Fix that and then all these bullshat theories are out the door.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Here are my players that need to go next year: Roy11, Barber---and being in MN and watched him for his entire career it pains me, but he is no longer the Barbarian, but instead simply Barbara; the Black Petitti---Davis, Gurode---yes Gurode. He's strong as an ox, and unfortunately, as dumb as one; and Scandrick--- I hate this little prick. He won't or cannot cover, he sulks---he still thinks that he should be starting but refuses to play like a starter, goes out and hurts our own players. Get that little shit up on out of here!

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm sick of waiting for him, really. Sophmore slump my ass.

You don't get rid of a player that had a rookie year like Bennett and then followed it up with a bad year. If we applied that menatlity, Austin would have long been gone, some people wanted a second rounder for him.

C

Cr122

Gee... get Bennett out after ONE BAD YEAR? You sure it's not something personal? That would be a monumental stupid move.

You feel that way about Scandrick, and I don't.

I agree Bennett has skills, I'll give him this year to prove himself again then if he doesn't he can go too.

C

Cr122

You don't get rid of a player that had a rookie year like Bennett and then followed it up with a bad year. If we applied that menatlity, Austin would have long been gone, some people wanted a second rounder for him.

Prove me wrong, I love being wrong about this team. And if I am so fucking what.

I move on.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You feel that way about Scandrick, and I don't.

I agree Bennett has skills, I'll give him this year to prove himself again then if he doesn't he can go too.

Bennett isn't the one sulking about. Bennett knows that he shouldn't be the starter. And Scandrick is in noways as talented as Bennett.

C

Cr122

Bennett isn't the one sulking about. Bennett knows that he shouldn't be the starter. And Scandrick is in noways as talented as Bennett.

I didn't say he was.

But I still think Scandrick is good enough to be a number two corner.

Saying that I'm happy with our three corners we have. And where has Scandrick been sulking to, I must of missed that?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I didn't say he was.

But I still think Scandrick is good enough to be a number two corner.

Saying that I'm happy with our three corners we have. And where has Scandrick been sulking to, I must of missed that?

He's Duane Hawthorne 2.0.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
What happened to Barber is the offensive line sucks. Fix that and then all these bullshat theories are out the door.

That's part of it.

But Barber is still awfully slow getting to the LOS, which makes a not-very-good Oline look that much worse.

C

Cr122

That's part of it.

But Barber is still awfully slow getting to the LOS, which makes a not-very-good Oline look that much worse.

He is slow, where is this speed they were talking about this year? He's lighter but he's no faster either.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He is slow, where is this speed they were talking about this year? He's lighter but he's no faster either.

He's always been a bit slow, and I had no problem with that, because he was banging, but he's not doign that anymore. He's been listening to people about how it's going to shorten his career, which is ridiculous.

C

Cr122

He's always been a bit slow, and I had no problem with that, because he was banging, but he's not doign that anymore. He's been listening to people about how it's going to shorten his career, which is ridiculous.

I don't know what happen to Barber, your right he's not banging anymore.

I want to see a lot more of a felix Jones and Tashard Choice duo, but what happened last night with Felix and Tony on the fumble blew my mind. You think he would of paid more attention to detail on that handoff.

Top Bottom