Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Miles Austin Among Cowboys Players Reportedly Sued After Boy Nearly Drowned
BY PATRICK CLARKE (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON SEPTEMBER 24, 2013

NFL star Miles Austin is one of three Dallas Cowboys players who are reportedly being sued following an incident at a football camp this past summer where a teenage boy nearly drowned, according to a report from TMZ.com.

The parents of 13-year-old James Jackson Jr. are suing Austin along with Dallas defenders Anthony Spencer and Brandon Carr for "at least $1 million," per TMZ. Jackson's parents are claiming that the three players and the company that organized the event are to blame and that their son suffered "mental anguish, disfigurement and physical impairment" from the incident.

The suit claims that the three Cowboys players are at fault for the boy nearly drowning in a pool at the summer camp, which was being held at the University of North Texas. According to the report, there were more than 100 children in the pool when Jackson disappeared under the water.

After being discovered, he was reportedly given CPR and sent to the hospital.

Defensive back Brandon Carr is one of three Cowboys players reportedly named in the lawsuit.

It remains to be seen whether the reported lawsuit will have any impact on the three players on the field this season. But if any of the three are forced to miss any time, the Cowboys could be in trouble. After all, Austin is the team's third-leading receiver and has appeared in all three of Dallas' regular-season games in 2013, catching 15 passes for 125 yards.

Carr has 10 total tackles and an interception in three appearances, while Spencer, who has two tackles on the year, was inactive for the team's Week 3 win over the St. Louis Rams because of a knee injury.

The Cowboys have yet to comment or release a statement regarding the situation. Barring any punishment, Austin and his Cowboys teammates will be in San Diego this Sunday to take on the San Diego Chargers.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The parents of 13-year-old James Jackson Jr. are suing Austin along with Dallas defenders Anthony Spencer and Brandon Carr for "at least $1 million," per TMZ. Jackson's parents are claiming that the three players and the company that organized the event are to blame and that their son suffered "mental anguish, disfigurement and physical impairment" from the incident.

I'm curious... what disfigurement and physical impairment can result form ALMOST drowning? I cannot stand people like this.

Number 1. What kind of parent is it that knows that their child AS A TEENAGER is unable to swim or maybe doesn't know it, and yet expect everyone else to know it?

Austin, Spencer, and Carr should suit them back. Call their bluff. The tactic here on the plaintiff's part is to hope that the three will settle and not have it go to court. If I was those three, I'd have my day in court and then suit them for such a frivolous lawsuit.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yep, I would go to court and then turn around and sue them for attorney fees.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You got to teach your kids to swim. Thats a basic life skill. FFS.

Either you teach them or you find someone to do it for you. But yeah for sure, it's a life skill. Or in some cases you learn on your own.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Not knowing how to swim is dangerous. What if you run off the road into a lake? You're just fucked I guess.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
If I didn't know how to swim I would do my best to avoid bodies of water that could be hazardous to my health. But that's just me.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That's like me trying to fly an airplane and suing someone because I crashed.

GFY people.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
So, one kid out of 100 got lost in the shuffle, nearly drowning, and somehow that's an individual's responsibility?

He disappeared into a sea of people; shit happens. Get over it.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He ALMOST drowned--- he didn't drown. But instead of counting their blessings, they want to count someone else's money.

Top Bottom