Reaction score
Posted by jellis at 4/24/2012 9:41 AM CDT on dallascowboys.com

The Cowboys didn't give incoming defensive coordinator Rob Ryan a lot of help in the NFL Draft last year, despite having given up a franchise-worst 436 points in 2010.

The Cowboys' only defensive pick in the first two days of the draft was linebacker Bruce Carter, who missed half the season while recovering from a knee injury.

For Ryan, though, this was nothing new. An NFL defensive coordinator since 2004, his teams have only drafted defensive players in the first round three times.

Only twice in his five years running the Raiders defense did Ryan add a first-round talent on his side of the ball. The team tabbed Nebraska cornerback Fabian Washington at No. 23 overall in 2005 and came back a year later to select Texas safety Michael Huff at No. 7.

Washington never lived up to Ryan's hopes and was released after just three seasons with the Raiders. He was out of football last year.

Huff struggled early, and in fact was benched by Ryan in his third season, but has had an All-Pro season since Ryan left.

In 2010, Ryan's second season with the Browns, the team selected Joe Haden at the first round's seventh spot. Haden had six interceptions in his first year, and Ryan still speaks highly of him.

The Cowboys are expected to select a defensive player with pick No. 14 overall this year. Will Ryan again be lobbying his front office for a defensive back?

Cythim

Reaction score
I don't give a fuck who we pick, just get someone who will start in the trenches this season.

Reaction score
All the talk of Mark Barron to Dallas is really sapping my interest in the NFL Draft - at least the first round.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, but who knows if Ryan really even wanted those guys with Crazy Al making the picks.

Of course at Cleveland they did take Joe Haden, so maybe there's something to it.

Reaction score
Yeah, but who knows if Ryan really even wanted those guys with Crazy Al making the picks.

Of course at Cleveland they did take Joe Haden, so maybe there's something to it.

Fabien Washington was probably an Al pick. He was a ridiculously fast guy - want to say right at 4.3.

And we all know how Al loved that.

Regarding Huff... well, he was considered a better prospect than Barron. Was supposed to be a sure-fire stud.

As an aside, I've heard that if we can get this lock-out resolved, he'll be a Cowboy. There's mutual interest by both sides.

Reaction score
At any point during the season was anyone clamoring for Barron or claiming he was a top 10 pick? We all watched probably 6 games of Alabama and I never thought that

Reaction score
At any point during the season was anyone clamoring for Barron or claiming he was a top 10 pick? We all watched probably 6 games of Alabama and I never thought that

Not only that, but really, how juiced can you get for safety who benefits from arguably the best front seven in college football, while facing horrid QB play week in and week out.

BFD.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Fabien Washington was probably an Al pick. He was a ridiculously fast guy - want to say right at 4.3.

And we all know how Al loved that.

Regarding Huff... well, he was considered a better prospect than Barron. Was supposed to be a sure-fire stud.

I dont remember it that way at all. There were questions about what position he'd end up playing. He was a CB before they moved him to safety.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Yeah you're right why would want a physical corner good in man coverage and more than willing to pop the shit out of anyone who comes into his area?

There are at least 4 other much more glaring holes more important than filling a CB spot. We can find someone in the later rounds that won't cost nearly as much.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There are at least 4 other much more glaring holes more important than filling a CB spot. We can find someone in the later rounds that won't cost nearly as much.

don't draft for need. I don't want some JAG like Barron or Decastro picked too high just because we need a guard. That's something Jerry Jones would do.

Reaction score
Huff was moved to S from CB in college. And I know you have a boner for barron, dbair, but Huff was a much higher ranked prospect.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Huff was moved to S from CB in college. And I know you have a boner for barron, dbair, but Huff was a much higher ranked prospect.

He was a CB coming out of college, right?

He had to change positions in the pros, because he busted at CB. Which some suspected might happen. He was not a super blue chip prospect as a CB.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
don't draft for need. I don't want some JAG like Barron or Decastro picked too high just because we need a guard. That's something Jerry Jones would do.

You balance between need and BPA. There are a bunch of players that are better value than Dre, and still fill a need.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
He was a CB coming out of college, right?

He had to change positions in the pros, because he busted at CB. Which some suspected might happen. He was not a super blue chip prospect as a CB.

He played safety all 4 years of college, and if I recall correctly, he was drafted by the Raiders to play safety.

Top Bottom