GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Im still a little hesitant to buy into this defense entirely...not quite sure why, but I dont believe in them completely just yet...

I am convinced that our offensive line is a real weapon for us...arguably one of the best units in all of football...So, I am sold on our offense as a whole bc of that...

Overall, how much are you buying into this ?

Reaction score
IMO, the defense is improved and it seems that Marinelli is gearing the scheme to better fit the strengths of the players.

But I also think that a highly effective, punishing, ball-control offense changes the overall game and basically puts the Cowboys defense in much better situations.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
In previous years the philosophy was "play to our strengths" and pretty much ignore the liabilities. But in real football that will never work. What you have to do, what championship teams do, and what Dallas is doing now starting this season is "limit our liabilities."

Find out where the weaknesses and flaws are, then design your schemes and philosophy based on minimizing the risks while playing to what strengths you think you have.

I still maintain that the main driver of this change in philosophy this year was based largely on Romo's back issues.

Answering the question posed in the OP: Are we good?

Yes, only just.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It's just amazing that we laymen messageboarders have been saying for years now to run the ball more to take some pressure off Romo, that throwing the ball 55 times a game is not a long term winning formula... And we're just now doing it.

And no, I don't buy that Zack Martin is the reason we can this year and last year we couldn't even attempt it.

We wasted years of Romo's prime because we never had an OC who realized this. Better late than never, but still. Imagine if Jerry had never made Garrett hire Linehan.

Reaction score
My answer would be 'The Cowboys are playing 'above average' right now.

If the team can make it to the post season without many key player injuries, we have a fair chance of doing well.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Washington Post:

The Dallas Cowboys didn’t just win Sunday in Seattle. They thoroughly outplayed the defending Super Bowl champions in a stadium in which it has been virtually impossible in recent years for an opponent to prevail. The result is that the balance of power in the NFC has been at-least-temporarily reshuffled, and the question must be asked: Are the Cowboys, somehow, the conference’s top team at this point?

The Cowboys, until now, have been a nice early-season success story, getting off to a positive start behind a talented offensive line, the running of tailback DeMarco Murray, contributions by quarterback Tony Romo and a defense that has been doing its part after preseason predictions that it would be the worst in NFL history.

But there were reasons before this to wonder just how much staying power the Cowboys would have, and whether they could keep this up and be an honest-to-goodness contender in the NFC East and in the conference as a whole. After Sunday’s convincing triumph, however, it becomes much more difficult to doubt the legitimacy of what the Cowboys, who upped their record to 5-1, are accomplishing.

“They’ve got a very good formula right now,” an executive with a rival NFC team said Sunday evening. “They run the ball right at you. Everything starts with that offensive line. It’s a terrific group. They won the game at the line of scrimmage today and you never expect that to happen to the Seahawks when they’re at home.”

The Cowboys beat the Seahawks, 30-23, and in reality the game wasn’t that close. The Seahawks scored a touchdown on a blocked punt and had another touchdown set up by a muffed punt lost by the Cowboys. A botched snap by the Cowboys on offense led to a Seattle field goal. If not for those miscues, the Cowboys might have made it look easy.

The Seahawks went 15-1 at home over the previous two regular seasons, with the only loss coming last season to the Arizona Cardinals, and started 2-0 there this season. But the Cowboys ran for 162 yards Sunday, 115 of them by Murray. Romo was sacked only once and threw two touchdown passes without an interception in a 21-for-32, 250-yard passing performance.

The Dallas defense sacked Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson twice, intercepted him once and limited him to a 47.6 passer rating. It was quite a reversal from Wilson’s dynamic play during the Seahawks’ win over the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field last Monday night. The Cowboys, who ranked last in the NFL in total defense last season, limited Seattle wide receiver Percy Harvin to three catches for zero yards and a total of a one-yard loss on three rushing attempts.

“You don’t look at that [Dallas] defense and say they have so much talent all over the field,” said the NFC executive, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he was not comfortable commenting publicly, he said, on another team’s personnel. “But they’re hustling. They’re running to the ball. They’re a try-hard group. Maybe they can keep it up. Maybe they can’t. But they’re getting the most out of what they have on defense right now. They’re well coached.”

The Seahawks opened the defense of their Super Bowl title in impressive fashion with a 20-point victory at home over the Green Bay Packers in the NFL’s season-opening game. They’ve been rather ordinary since then, going 2-2. They lost at San Diego, needed overtime to beat the Denver Broncos at home in a compelling Super Bowl rematch, and did what was needed but not much more against the Redskins last Monday night.

The defense continues to undergo some growing pains after a bit of offseason reworking; the Seahawks have two interceptions and seven sacks all season. The offense was unable to overcome a subpar performance Sunday by Wilson. Tailback Marshawn Lynch ran for 61 yards on only 10 carries. That prompted his agent, Doug Hendrickson, to take to social media to question the play-calling of offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.

“Bevell know he has a running back?” Hedrickson wrote on Twitter.

The rest of the NFC now knows the Seahawks can be beaten at home. Their play on the road has been uneven. With fellow would-be NFC superpowers San Francisco and New Orleans having had their issues as well, there is room for others to stake their claims as conference heavyweights. The Cowboys are doing just that.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Marinelli deserves credit but I think Rolando has had an impact on the nice guys we have playing defense. JJ Wilcox also has some dawg in him. They are swarming to the ball and they seem to be doing a better job of handling their coverage assignments. I'm still worried about deep coverage and pass rushers. Jeremy Mincey might be the slowest starting pass-rushing end in the NFL.

Reaction score
I think we're good... I'm still hesitant to say we're one of the top 2-3 teams in the NFC, but you don't have to be that to be good.

I'm interested to see what Linehan does if the run is ever taken away from the offense. It will happen at some point. Garrett would abandon it completely and throw it all over the field for multiple weeks before he got back to the run. Hopefully Linehan keeps the run going. If what we've seen so far is the new identity of this offense, then we can be the best in the conference.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think we'll see where this team really is this coming week. If they bury the Giants, this team is for real. Perfect trap game, great teams generally don't lose to trash teams. The giants are trash.

I'll put it this way, I haven't seen this team play this well since they were winning Super Bowls. Yeah, 13-3 in 2007, but still. The o-line makes this a whole other thing. They can line(ha auto correct said "lube") up and run it at teams. They are really good on 3rd down.

Keep the QB healthy. Super Bowl contender this year.

Reaction score
Marinelli and Linehan have proven to be great coordinators for years now. We are very lucky to have landed them both here.

I think we've been good since Parcells and Payton left us with a foundation of Romo, Witten, and Ware. Our biggest impediment has ALWAYS been Garrett first as the OC and then as the HC.

Now that he's essentially a figurehead coach with no real responsibilities, you're seeing the true abilities of the team under Romo. It's unfortunate that this didn't happen in 2007 when the team was truly ready to win a ring.

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what Linehan does if the run is ever taken away from the offense. It will happen at some point.

It happened to a small extent yesterday when we went down 10-0 early.

Ginger would have gone straight into passing mode, but Linehan came out running it and Murray got us back into the game immediately.

Reaction score
The scary part is that i think the Cowboys could be a passing team too. One of the reasons they are able to pound the ball on the ground is because they are very efficient passing the ball on 3rd downs. Plus with Randle, Dunbar and Escobar now contributing. Alot of weapons at their disposal.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Marinelli deserves credit but I think Rolando has had an impact on the nice guys we have playing defense. JJ Wilcox also has some dawg in him. They are swarming to the ball and they seem to be doing a better job of handling their coverage assignments. I'm still worried about deep coverage and pass rushers. Jeremy Mincey might be the slowest starting pass-rushing end in the NFL.
I was consistently saying this offseason, the defense would improve over last year if only one thing happened - alot less injuries.

Add McClain - who looks good to be the NFL's comeback player of the year so far - and add the swagger real coaching has brought, and you get what amounts to a vast improvement with really not alot of difference in personnel than what was starting last year, week one.

But truthfully? I believe one of the best things to happen to this defense was losing Claiborne. The dude is just a negative for the chemistry. This secondary is proving one thing right up front - we don't need Claiborne.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
One of the reasons they are able to pound the ball on the ground is because they are very efficient passing the ball on 3rd downs.
It's actually the other way around. Go back to last year's abysmal 3rd down conversion rate then look at the running game. In fact, go back the previous three years on that.

Committing to the run as a philosophy makes opposing defenses play you alot more honest, and therefore helps with the 3rd down conversions.

Reaction score
It happened to a small extent yesterday when we went down 10-0 early.

Ginger would have gone straight into passing mode, but Linehan came out running it and Murray got us back into the game immediately.
I was more thinking a team who is stopping us from running it. Like we run it the first half for less than 3 YPC or so.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Yeah,I think we're good.The last 4 games had turning points which would have sunk us in the last 3 years,yet we perservered.
Just how good remains to be seen.
Meant for us or not,Philly's domination of the Giants was clearly a shot across our bow.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It's just amazing that we laymen messageboarders have been saying for years now to run the ball more to take some pressure off Romo, that throwing the ball 55 times a game is not a long term winning formula... And we're just now doing it.

And no, I don't buy that Zack Martin is the reason we can this year and last year we couldn't even attempt it.

We wasted years of Romo's prime because we never had an OC who realized this. Better late than never, but still. Imagine if Jerry had never made Garrett hire Linehan.

we were actually a good rushing team last season...yards per carry wise...dont remember where we ranked in carries..

adding Fred + Martin is definitely a huge help in the grand scheme of things

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I was more thinking a team who is stopping us from running it. Like we run it the first half for less than 3 YPC or so.

the raw numbers wont support my argument...and im probably alone on this...but there was a good poriton of yesterdays game, where the run game was stymied..it was to the point where the pass game was far more effective...I dont recall if this was the 3Q or the 4Q or a bit of both..I was legitimately sitting there hoping that we would abandon the run game and continue passing down after down...

give Linehan credit, he stuck w the run game, and it worked...hawks wore down late in the 4th and murray took over...

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
the raw numbers wont support my argument...and im probably alone on this...but there was a good poriton of yesterdays game, where the run game was stymied..it was to the point where the pass game was far more effective...I dont recall if this was the 3Q or the 4Q or a bit of both..I was legitimately sitting there hoping that we would abandon the run game and continue passing down after down...

give Linehan credit, he stuck w the run game, and it worked...hawks wore down late in the 4th and murray took over...
We just flat beat 'em up. Perhaps the Glory Days ARE back?

Top Bottom