Reaction score
Travis Frederick chasing perfection, not contract extension
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. -- Travis Frederick's life is about to change, and he doesn't really care. Well, he somewhat cares. He’s just not into it that much.

The Dallas Cowboys have opened up negotiations with Frederick on a multi-year extension that would allow him to take care of his family and his family’s family well into the future. His agent, Joe Panos, arrived at Cowboys training camp Saturday and was on the field Sunday as he, executive vice president Stephen Jones and his staff looks to come to an agreement that pleases all sides.

Frederick was happier to see his family, including his son Oliver, the last few days more than anything that had to do with a contract.

“Because it's always been that way, if that makes any sense, for as long as I've been playing," Frederick said. "It's either been two years away or a year away or six months away or three weeks away or whatever it is. We don't know if anything is to happen. To be honest, it doesn't matter. I'm going to come to work and still play to the highest ability that I can."

The Cowboys were criticized by many when they selected Frederick with the 31st pick in the first round of the 2013 draft. They moved down in a deal with the San Francisco 49ers, picking up a third-round pick, and took Frederick, who some teams graded as a mid-round prospect.

Clearly the Cowboys got the Frederick pick right.

He has not missed a game in his first three seasons, starting all 48. He has been named to the Pro Bowl the last two seasons. Now he is considered one of the best centers in the NFL.

"He's one of those guys you want on your football team," Jones said.

Two years ago in training camp the Cowboys were able to work out an eight-year extension with left tackle Tyron Smith, who is also represented by Panos. In 2011, the Cowboys started the process of building their team through their offensive line by taking Smith. They have since added Frederick and Zack Martin (2014) in the first round.

They don't want to see their work come unhinged with potential free-agent defections.

"I don't know how many different ways we can say it, but it's the strong point of our football team," Jones said. "The strength of it and the amazing thing about it is it's not only a strength in terms of on the field, but they represent everything we want in terms of the work ethic and what they do off the field. So just a great group to try and (the Cowboys will try to) keep them all together."

The Cowboys picked up the fifth-year option on Frederick's contract for 2017. In the offseason the Atlanta Falcons made Alex Mack the highest-paid center with a five-year, $45 million deal that included $28.5 million guaranteed.

Frederick deserves to be in the neighborhood.

"I never know how all the numbers work, but I do (know that) luckily enough for all of us the salary cap keeps going up and up every year, so hopefully there's more and more room and everybody can make as much money as they possibly can," Frederick said. "And everybody can be happy, including the Cowboys."

But Frederick will continue to bury his head into his work. He is more concerned with his footwork on a reach block or his hand placement on pass protection.

The motivation is not a contract, as nice as it would be, or another Pro Bowl appearance, as nice as that would be.

"To me it's about reaching and trying to obtain perfection," Frederick said. "And perfection is (if) you talk to anybody, you're never actually going to get there. It's to continue to improve on the little things, seeing the things you're deficient at, the things I got beat on. I had a couple of penalties last year ... If I can eliminate those things from my game and make myself a better player, I'm going to be able to help our offense to be better. Ultimately, the goal is the Super Bowl. It has nothing to do with individual accolades such as the Pro Bowl or All-Pro or any of that. We want to win a Super Bowl."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Other than T Smith, Fred is the most important member of the OL IMO, hopefully they can get him wrapped up long term.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He really is the key to the O line and keeping him is NOT an option it is an absolute NEED.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
In the past, we would have given Murray stupid money, and wouldn't be able to sign our entire o-line. I will give credit to the wiser financial decisions (I'm assuming that's more Stephen) being made. We will have a top 5 o-line for a decade.

Top Bottom