dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Some good info on Newman near the end. Most dont recall that he did play hurt all last yr, and never once complaiend or blamed his subpar play on it.

Cowboys have bigger holes to fillDallas made serious run at Asomugha but still has confidence in own cornersEmailPrintComments12 By Todd Archer
ESPNDallas.com
Archive SAN ANTONIO -- Let's see whether Day 3 of Dallas Cowboys training camp from the Alamodome can be any wilder than Day 2.

At different spells in the morning walk-through and afternoon practice, defensive coordinator Rob Ryan was handed a cellphone by owner and general manager Jerry Jones and executive vice president Stephen Jones.

The Cowboys were in on the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes hard, and Ryan, who coached the cornerback for five years in Oakland, was hoping to close the deal -- at least that's what everybody's guess was.

More on the Cowboys
Calvin Watkins, Tim MacMahon and Todd Archer have the Dallas Cowboys blanketed for ESPN Dallas. Blog
Cowboys Camp Home
ESPN Dallas » Camp chats »

It became a play-by-play on Twitter, exploding into some euphoria when the Joneses fist-bumped after hanging up.

Maybe they were just planning a dinner reservation and Ryan knew the maitre d'.

By the time the Cowboys ended practice, Asomugha was a Philadelphia Eagle with a five-year, $60 million contract, including $25 million guaranteed.

Instead of preparing to see Asomugha once in the season opener against the New York Jets, who were considered the favorite to get him, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo gets to see him twice inside the NFC East.

"We had an opportunity," Jerry Jones said on KRLD-FM. "We acted on it, and believe me, we firmly acted on it until my eyes watered."

With the money saved by not signing Asomugha, the Cowboys now can fill more pressing needs, like at safety and along the offensive and defensive lines.

While teams should step to the plate when there is a chance to sign a player like Asomugha, cornerback, truthfully, was more of a want than a need.

As Ryan spoke with the mystery guest on the cellphone, Terence Newman, who likely would have been replaced had Asomugha ended up in a Cowboys uniform, lined up in drills no more than 5 yards away.

It was only-with-the-Cowboys kind of stuff as cameras shifted their attention from the players to Ryan and the Joneses.

Newman chose not to talk after practice, saying he would speak in two days.

"We're going to play with what we got," Pro Bowl linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. "So [Asomugha] is going to Philly? They always have good corners. Good for him. He's going to a great team in the NFC East. We'll see him, but our guys here are just as good. Terence Newman's been to the Pro Bowl. Mike Jenkins has been to the Pro Bowl. They're just as good. When we were 11-5, they were good. Same guys. We've got to get back out there and play like that, and with this type of defense, I think it's going to happen."

Newman had one of the best defensive plays of the afternoon practice, busting up an out route from Romo to Dez Bryant. Immediately, secondary coaches Dave Campo and Brett Maxie slapped him on the helmet. Players got excited, too.

"I'm sure everybody hears stuff, but it hasn't affected his play at all," Campo said. "If he has, I don't know, but we're not saying anything about it."

Before Newman suffered a rib injury after an interception in the first quarter against the New York Giants in 2010 -- the same game in which the Cowboys lost Romo for the season -- Newman was having perhaps his best season. He had seven pass breakups in the first six games. He had 23 tackles.

But for most of the rest of the season, Newman had to play with painkilling injections. He could not turn and run as he once did. As a result, he was beat more and could not recover. At times he did not play with proper technique, and it hurt him because he was not the same athletically because of the injury.
"That year's over," Campo said. "We're looking forward to this year."

Campo said Newman, who turns 33 in September, is in better shape than he can remember. He's 2 pounds lighter than last year. He worked out in a Dallas suburb and in Arizona for a spell during the lockout. He was at the player-run practices in May.

Ryan's new 3-4 scheme is more cornerback-friendly. They can mostly pick what kind of alignment they want pre-snap. Ryan is more aggressive with his calls, which most corners like. It's why Asomugha liked playing for him so much in Oakland.

"We're fine with what we got," Campo said. "We've just got to play better than we did last year."

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hell yea Demarcus Ware.

That is how you handle this. We are good , F them and F everyone who thinks we suck.

and Brad Sham raved about how newman was responding to what was going on with him starting with that jax game....no one cared though because like in all other walks of life, idiots who scream he sucks are always heard louder.

I so love the underdog prove them wrong angle that is going to come out of this. I hope we are 10 point dogs to the eagles.

C

Cr122

Hell yea Demarcus Ware.

That is how you handle this. We are good , F them and F everyone who thinks we suck.

and Brad Sham raved about how newman was responding to what was going on with him starting with that jax game....no one cared though because like in all other walks of life, idiots who scream he sucks are always heard louder.

I so love the underdog prove them wrong angle that is going to come out of this. I hope we are 10 point dogs to the eagles.

That's the attitude to have. I like flying under the radar as well. Noone expects us to do shit this year. Maybe a few critics think different, but most don't.

Idgit

Practice Squad
Reaction score
What I read was a Shill piece for Newman.

He could not turn and run as he once did. As a result, he was beat more and could not recover. At times he did not play with proper technique, and it hurt him because he was not the same athletically because of the injury."That year's over," Campo said. "We're looking forward to this year."

We all see what we want to see when we read something.

Newman's a good CB. He's always been a good CB. I have no idea why some fans have trouble believing it.

X Dawg

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We all see what we want to see when we read something.

Newman's a good CB. He's always been a good CB. I have no idea why some fans have trouble believing it.

He's an overpaid stiff who cannot tackle - I have no idea what some schmucks can't see that....

Idgit

Practice Squad
Reaction score
He's an overpaid stiff who cannot tackle - I have no idea what some schmucks can't see that....

Maybe because its demonstrably untrue.

What's a #1 CB get paid per year in the NFL again? And where does Newman rank relative to his peers in that regard?

X Dawg

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Maybe because its demonstrably untrue.

What's a #1 CB get paid per year in the NFL again? And where does Newman rank relative to his peers in that regard?

He's a mid pack CB making 2 m less than ASO - and he cannot tackle.

Idgit

Practice Squad
Reaction score
He's a mid pack CB making 2 m less than ASO - and he cannot tackle.

I haven't seen the breakdown on NA's deal, but TNew's making ~$8M in the last year of his deal, with a ~$10M cap hit. That's not out of line for a #1 CB. It's actually on the low end.

He's also not a mid-pack player, and he's a very good tackler. I have *no* idea what it is you think you're seeing when you're watching games.

Top Bottom