C

Cr122

Archer: Cowboys could regret not drafting offensive linemen during 2010 draft

11:07 PM CDT on Thursday, August 19, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

Dallas Morning News writer Todd Archer answered questions about the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday as the Cowboys prepare to play their fourth preseason game against San Diego. Here are some highlights:

What chance does CB Bryan McCann have to make the Cowboys or any other football team?

I think he has a chance to make this team, which would give him a chance to make another team. It depends on how many corners the Cowboys can or want to keep. Right now, I'd say he's the fifth corner behind Cletis Gordon and the three regulars. Injuries at other spots could force the Cowboys to only go with four. They would like him on the practice squad at the very least, I think.

Wade Phillips has been going on about Robert Brewster’s strength but does he actually have the strength to play the guard position as a starter?

He doesn't anchor very well from what we see at practice. He does get pushed back a lot of times. It might be Wade just trying to pump the kid up some, but you have to believe your eyes and this is what we see.

With the new injury to Kyle Kosier, do the Cowboys regret not taking a top offensive lineman in this year’s draft?

O-line should be this team's focus every year because Jerry knows how costly it is to go get free agents. Too many misses in the draft in the past has hurt. Free has come through but you have to go back to Gurode in 2002 as the last linemen to pan out. (I'll cut Al Johnson - 03 - slack because of the knee injury). They say they like the potential of the players. We'll see. I think Sam Young has been better than Brewster. I think Phil Costa can be OK, too.

With all the injuries to the offensive line, is Jerry Jones looking to make any moves in the free agency?

There aren't really any GOOD linemen to go get right now. And the cost of making a trade is too high. Colombo will be back for the opener. Kosier might miss that one. I'd stay alert to other teams’ cuts and see if they go the waiver route. The Cowboys are pretty heavy at OLB. Maybe they can swing a trade with a team that has OL depth but there aren't many of those either.

To read the rest of the chat, click here.

• • •

Top Bottom