Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So if we sign him for 3 years $25 million with $11 guaranteed and he gets 5 sacks next year, if we were to cut him what would be the ramifications? I'm guessing we would owe him $5.5 million ($11 million/remaining 2 years of the contract)? That's a $5.5 million cap hit if we cut him, correct? Is that it? Is there any dead money that would affect our cap?

I've never tried to understand the intricate details of the cap because ours has been so screwed up so often that I didn't want to figure out how simple all this was and get pissed that we're always in such a mess.

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So if we sign him for 3 years $25 million with $11 guaranteed and he gets 5 sacks next year, if we were to cut him what would be the ramifications? I'm guessing we would owe him $5.5 million ($11 million/remaining 2 years of the contract)? That's a $5.5 million cap hit if we cut him, correct? Is that it? Is there any dead money that would affect our cap?

I've never tried to understand the intricate details of the cap because ours has been so screwed up so often that I didn't want to figure out how simple all this was and get pissed that we're always in such a mess.

They wouldn't owe him anything...just account for the cap money. It also depends on how the guaranteed money is structured.

If it was 11M in signing bonus, then they'd have to account for 3.66M for each year cut short. On a 3 year deal, cutting him after 1 would leave 7.2M in dead money.

They could guarantee his first year's base money and give him a smaller SB. Say, 5M base and signing bonus of 8M.

That's 13M guaranteed but after the first year only 5.2M would be on the books because they've already taken the hit for the bonus portion and have paid him the base.

Reaction score
$3/25M ?

That's what Nate livings signed for, you're not getting a premium OLB for that. At least double it.

Does spencer look to be in better shape to anyone else this year? He looks more defined and I don't see a gut

Reaction score
What's up with scandricks contract? If we're looking to shake loose any available money Id say we can get similar production from sterling Moore

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
$3/25M ?

That's what Nate livings signed for, you're not getting a premium OLB for that. At least double it.

Does spencer look to be in better shape to anyone else this year? He looks more defined and I don't see a gut

He looks a lot more muscular but he walks with a limp now like one leg is longer than the other. That's why I say he's aging at 29.

It would be 3 years at a reasonable deal or he can walk if it's up to me (it's not).

BTW, he looks like a jihadist with that beard.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If it was 11M in signing bonus, then they'd have to account for 3.66M for each year cut short. On a 3 year deal, cutting him after 1 would leave 7.2M in dead money.

They could guarantee his first year's base money and give him a smaller SB. Say, 5M base and signing bonus of 8M.

That's 13M guaranteed but after the first year only 5.2M would be on the books because they've already taken the hit for the
bonus portion and have paid him the base.

Thanks. I'll make a note of this.

Top Bottom