Reaction score
Anti-Redskins commercial to air during NBA Finals

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 10, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Opponents of the name of the Washington Redskins will air their message before a large audience of sports fans tonight.

The Washington Post reports that the Yocha Dehe Wintun Nation, a tribe based in California, has paid for a 60-second anti-Redskins commercial to run during halftime of tonight’s NBA Finals game. The ad will run in Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Sacramento, San Francisco and Washington, and the tribe said it made a “significant investment” to purchase the air time.

The commercial begins with a long montage of names and labels that Native Americans call themselves, like “proud” and “forgotten,” “Navajo” and “Blackfoot,” “patriot” and “soldier,” “Jim Thorpe” and “Billy Mills.” It ends with the narrator saying, “Native Americans call themselves many things. The one thing they don’t” and then an image of a Redskins helmet.

A longer version of the ad was posted on YouTube just before the Super Bowl and has been viewed nearly 2 million times.

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Imagine how many college scholarships could have been set up with the money it took to buy 60 seconds of commercial air time during the NBA finals. I bet someone gets individually plugged during this commercial too.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Shut up you racist fucks

My friend from middle school is native American.. Idgaf that i havent spoken w him since... Im still offended

Reaction score
Imagine how many college scholarships could have been set up with the money it took to buy 60 seconds of commercial air time during the NBA finals. I bet someone gets individually plugged during this commercial too.

That's pretty specious reasoning. Just because there is a bigger issue somewhere else doesn't preclude anyone from taking on smaller issues.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Just imagine how many scholarships could be set up with the money paid to gun company lobbyists.

Uh oh.....

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
That's pretty specious reasoning. Just because there is a bigger issue somewhere else doesn't preclude anyone from taking on smaller issues.

Yes it does when people claim to care about a cause and are dropping God knows how much money on it, while the people they claim to care about are still living in poverty, still battling meth and alcohol plagues, and overall low quality of life. How is changing the Redskins name going to help these people? I could care less if they change the name lots of franchises have done it, but I find it despicable that people that wouldn't give the change in the cup holder of their BMW to help Native Americans are drawing attention away from the real problem. When the name does change and it will at some point, tell me if fridges full of food suddenly appear out of thin air on poverty stricken reservations across the country? Will college scholarships start dropping out of the sky? Somehow I doubt it.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
And yet Tim Tebow's pro-life commercial was rejected. Interesting.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Your argument is retarded by the way.

Nobody gives a fuck about the poor native Americans. This has nothing to w any of that..

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yes it does when people claim to care about a cause and are dropping God knows how much money on it, while the people they claim to care about are still living in poverty, still battling meth and alcohol plagues, and overall low quality of life. How is changing the Redskins name going to help these people? I could care less if they change the name lots of franchises have done it, but I find it despicable that people that wouldn't give the change in the cup holder of their BMW to help Native Americans are drawing attention away from the real problem. When the name does change and it will at some point, tell me if fridges full of food suddenly appear out of thin air on poverty stricken reservations across the country? Will college scholarships start dropping out of the sky? Somehow I doubt it.

Exactly, but don't tell that to the shit-eating liberals.

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Your argument is retarded by the way.

Nobody gives a fuck about the poor native Americans. This has nothing to w any of that..

You don't give a fuck about anything that's not on the back of a Pabst can but the people campaigning are claiming to do so on behalf of the plight of Native Americans, in which only a ****** and someone who doesnt understand any text that doesn't end in hashtags and z's in place of s's can't see how the two are connected. I've stepped on pieces of gum smarter than you.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They spent all that money on a commercial to change the name of a football team while they live in poverty.

Where are their priorities exactly?

What a fucking joke...

Reaction score
All you've managed to say is my argument is stupid and some gibberish about cancer and war. Care to elaborate on why my argument is stupid with some content?

your argument is that they don't get to care about the Redskins name because there are bigger problems facing the native americans.

That's idiotic. I already explained why. There are much bigger problems out there than pet adoption but that doesn't stop them from making me cry with the Sarah McLachlan commercial when I'm up at 2 am drunk and masturbating to cable tv. You don't get to be the arbiter of what people are allowed to care about or spend funds on.

Top Bottom