Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Well, here we are about 2 years after the big debacle season. 3 years after getting shat on in the playoffs because the OL couldn't do a fucking thing to save it's life.

And we have 1 player who looks good and 1 draft pick with a nice beard.

Some of the regulars at CZ are preaching patience with the OL like this particular unit hasn't been shit for the last 5 years.

I looked into what could have been instead of what is. Here's the results.

Ben Grubbs + Tyson Clabo (cutting Free) versus what the team really did. This assumes Berny plays out his contract and both Livings and Grubbs are cut in the final season.

Screen Shot 2013-05-30 at 12.59.33 AM.jpg

Reaction score
Might be a dumb question, but if we had signed Grubbs, would we still have been able to sign Carr? Because if not, you gotta take that into consideration as well.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
They wanted to sign Grubbs, archer wrote an article about it. His demands rose and we got hit with the penalty.

Archer claimed it was the penalty that kept us from signing him.

Reaction score
Didnt' we sign Carr right when FA started? And for about the same money that Grubbs signed for?

My memory of last offseason is that it was one where from January to early March, all the fans and media guys penciled Nicks to Dallas and/or Decastro to Dallas. But when rubber hit the road it seemed we had no real interest in either and instead jumped on Livings and Bernadeau.

Reaction score
It was crystal clear that T. Newman had to be replaced, so I won't second guess the Carr signing.

However, given the Carr signing, I do question what the Cowboys elected to do in the draft shortly thereafter.

In short, the Cowboys allocated a disproportionate amount of resources to the CB position, given the dire needs at OL.

In truth, the Cowboys also were quite unlucky with injuries on the OL too ... which exposed the overall weakness of the OL group even more.

Reaction score
Likewise, you can make an argument they did the same this year, dedicating a disproportionate amount of resources to the WR/TE position, given the dire needs at OL/DL.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't know that nobody was calling to cut free before that offseason, but it was almost nobody. Internet consensus was that while Free was decent at LT, he'd be even better back at right again.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Didnt' we sign Carr right when FA started? And for about the same money that Grubbs signed for?

My memory of last offseason is that it was one where from January to early March, all the fans and media guys penciled Nicks to Dallas and/or Decastro to Dallas. But when rubber hit the road it seemed we had no real interest in either and instead jumped on Livings and Bernadeau.

According to archer they were in on Grubbs and it was after Carr. Once his agent wanted more than 5 million a year because of the penalty they couldn't afford him.

Reaction score
I don't know that nobody was calling to cut free before that offseason, but it was almost nobody. Internet consensus was that while Free was decent at LT, he'd be even better back at right again.

We dont need no double negatives!

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Might be a dumb question, but if we had signed Grubbs, would we still have been able to sign Carr? Because if not, you gotta take that into consideration as well.

I don't see why they couldn't have. The cap number for Grubbs was less than the other two in the first year.

They also rolled 2M over IIRC.

Seems pretty possible.

Top Bottom