Reaction score
You guys are buying in the Patriots mystique. They're good, but they're not what they once were.

Dallas wins this game, and it'll be low scoring. The under is the right play.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
lol

Confident? I think this could be a game that gets out of hand.

If our DBs give a cushion to Welker and Eddlemen, they'll kill us with that zero route.

I'd press Welker and give him his 7 yard receptions. Don't give him room to run after the catch.

The way Brady force feeds the ball to the TEs, Sean Lee will probably have a chance to pick off a ball or two over the middle. We'll need to be at least +2 in the turnover column to pull out a win.

38-35 game.

Sheik........our brain waves are intertwining.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
You guys are buying in the Patriots mystique. They're good, but they're not what they once were.

They can throw the ball all over the field. Our secondary isn't the best, our pass rush has been hit and miss.

They are an explosive offense.

If you play the under at 54, I will laugh at you by the start of the 4th qtr.

C

Cr122

Sleepless nights ahead in Foxborough
October, 11, 2011

By Chris Forsberg

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- One of the most common themes when the Patriots hold their Tuesday conference calls with the media is turning the page to the next opponent. Coach Bill Belichick and his staff often try to spin things forward when questions linger about last week's opponent.

And with the Cowboys coming to town Sunday -- especially coming of their own bye week -- members of the Patriots' staff stressed the challenge ahead.

"[The Cowboys] do a lot of different things -- there's not a lot of sleeping in Foxborough this week," said offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien after heaping praise on the Cowboys' defense. "We've got a lot
to do to make sure we're ready to go on Sunday."

With the Cowboys essentially having two weeks to prepare for New England, Belichick stressed how the team feels like it's making up for lost time.

"We're digging in on the Cowboys, there's a lot of work to do, but they are a really good team -- could easily be 4-0, just a couple plays away," said Belichick. "There's a lot of talent, good players in all three phases of the game. And they are well-coached -- I think [Cowboys head coach] Jason [Garrett has] done a good job with the team and [defensive coordinator] Rob [Ryan] with the defense. They're explosive in every area of the game with a lot of talented players. We've got our work cut out with them ... a team we don’t know much about. I'm sure they are way ahead of where we are with the time they had last week. We have to work hard to catch up."

On Monday, Belichick talked extensively about the difficulty in facing a team coming off the bye.

"Obviously, they have more time and they have extra days to prepare for you," he said. "But I think we all have, in seven days from Sunday to Sunday, that’s ample time to get ready. Every team has a bye week. With every short week is a long week and with every long week is a short week. It all evens out in the end. We’ve played on short weeks, we’ve played on long weeks, we’ve played [after] bye weeks, we’ve played against other teams [after their] bye weeks. I don’t think there’s anything you can do about any of that.

"You take the opportunities you have, like I just said, and you make the most of them. Here’s what our opportunity is to get ready for the game, these are how many practice plays we have, this is our amount of meeting time, this our amount of team film study, this is how much time players have to do it on their own, how much will they do? You use all the time the most efficient way you can, in terms of getting treatment and weightlifting and being in condition and all the other things you do, the media, press conferences, all the other things. You just try to maximize your time and get the most of it and that’s what we’ll do this week. We can’t really worry about whether Dallas played Monday night, played a week ago, played Sunday. It is what it is. All we can do is control what our situation is. We’ll try to get the most out of it."

C

Cr122

"We're digging in on the Cowboys, there's a lot of work to do, but they are a really good team -- could easily be 4-0, just a couple plays away," said Belichick. "There's a lot of talent, good players in all three phases of the game. And they are well-coached -- I think [Cowboys head coach] Jason [Garrett has] done a good job with the team and [defensive coordinator] Rob [Ryan] with the defense. They're explosive in every area of the game with a lot of talented players. We've got our work cut out with them ... a team we don’t know much about. I'm sure they are way ahead of where we are with the time they had last week. We have to work hard to catch up."

Bill's a smart man. :like

Reaction score
RapSheet Ian R. Rapoport
So, Bill Belichick says the Cowboys are the fastest team that they'll play all season, specifically on defense. Interesting.

RapSheet Ian R. Rapoport
Bill Belichick on #Cowboys WR Dez Bryant: "I don't know how you could overthrow that guy. He's like a tight end."

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Dallas offense can throw more things at you

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2011/10/12/cowboys_offense_a_step_up/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Patriots+news

By Greg A. Bedard
Globe Staff / October 12, 2011

The Patriots delivered a solid, all-around victory against the Jets Sunday, but a benchmark on New England’s defense was not given.

They’ll get it Sunday when the Cowboys come to Foxborough.

The Jets rank 28th in total offense with 297.4 yards per game.

The Cowboys are putting up 417.8 yards per game, good for fifth in the league.

“It won’t be night and day, but if the Cowboys are full throttle here with Dez Bryant and Miles Austin, I think it’s going to be hard to stop them,’’ said an AFC personnel executive who scouts both the Patriots and Cowboys. “They might stall them a few times, but I think the Cowboys are going to get their yards.’’

Bryant, the 24th pick in the 2010 draft, has been in and out of the lineup with various ailments. But after a bye week, the Cowboys are getting healthy, and the 6-foot-2-inch, 218-pound Bryant, who runs 4.5 in the 40-yard dash and can jump 38 inches, should be full go.

He’s also getting back his running mate, Austin, who missed the previous two games with a hamstring injury.

That’s to go along with the weapons quarterback Tony Romo already has at his disposal: Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten, running back Felix Jones, and athletic second tight end Martellus Bennett.

“One thing the Patriots do well is they try to take away what you’re really good at,’’ the executive said. “And that’s hard to do when you’re playing the Cowboys.

“Are you going to stop Witten? What about Dez Bryant and Miles Austin? Are you going to stop the perimeter receivers? What about Witten and Felix Jones out of the backfield? This is a tough matchup for the Patriots.’’

What the Patriots likely will try to do is continue their theme of limiting the big play - which bit them early in the season - and make the Cowboys go on lengthy, time-consuming drives.

Romo doesn’t want to dink and dunk down the field. He’s a tremendous athlete with a big arm, but he is prone to the dumb decision and forcing the ball into coverage. That’s what he did when the Cowboys blew 14- and 24-point leads in losses to the Jets and Lions.

“If the Patriots can force the Cowboys to have to go long, sustained drives and have to be perfect to score, that could be a semi-victory,’’ the executive said. “But the Cowboys have a lot of weapons and I don’t know how many guys [on the Patriots] that can really play one-on-one matchup coverage against all the weapons that they do have.

“You’re dealing with a risk/reward quarterback with Romo, going on long drives. He’s a chance taker, so he may give you a chance to get a turnover. I think that’s what the Patriots’ defense can hope for.’’

Romo has also gotten beaten up behind an interior line that should have trouble with the New England defensive tackles.

Tom Brady is in for another tough game, as Rob Ryan, the brother of Jets coach Rex Ryan, coordinates Dallas’s defense.

Last season, Rob Ryan was the Browns coordinator when they beat the Patriots, 34-14. Brady completed a season-low 52.8 percent of his passes for only 224 yards.

Those Browns had a week to prepare for the Patriots, just as the Cowboys do this year.

The Patriots will need to have a plan for stopping All-Pro outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware, who has five sacks in four games this season, and 85 in 100 career games.

“Rob Ryan has a lot more to work with in Dallas than Cleveland,’’ the executive said. “He does a very good job of keeping you guessing about where [Ware] is coming from. He’ll line up all over the place on any down and is very formidable. Jay Ratliff is very strong on the nose.’’

For the first time this season, the Cowboys should have their top three cornerbacks healthy and playing together: Mike Jenkins, Terence Newman, and Orlando Scandrick.

“The Patriots were able to run the ball against the Jets,’’ the executive said. “I don’t know if that will necessarily be the case against the Cowboys front. They have better athletic personnel, and their linebackers cover better than the Jets. They maybe don’t have the elite corner to line up one-on-one with Wes Welker, but I think it’s a solid group. If Terence Newman is back in the lineup, he’s a solid starter with Jenkins.

“This will be a very good matchup overall. I think the Cowboys can stay with them and make it a one-score game and trade scores with the Patriots. The rest is up to Romo.’’

Greg A. Bedard can be reached at gbedard@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @gregabedard.

Reaction score
Jason Hatcher among four missing practice

IRVING, Texas -- Tim MacMahon called in an attendance report from Wednesday’s practice from Cowboys Stadium and the good news is that Orlando Scandrick, Miles Austin, Kyle Kosier, Gerald Sensabaugh and Dez Bryant are practicing for the second time this week.

Defensive end Jason Hatcher (calf), guard Derrick Dockery (knee), kicker David Buehler (groin) and fullback Tony Fiammetta (hamstring) are not practicing. Hatcher is likely going to miss his second straight game, which will keep Marcus Spears in the starting lineup.

Special teams’ ace Danny McCray has returned to practice after sitting out last week and Monday’s practice with an ankle injury.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

That's all what it is. Nobody has talked about how the Patriots have went one and done for how long now? Ware is due for a big game.

Truth is, I would feel even much better if Hatcher is playing.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They can throw the ball all over the field. Our secondary isn't the best, our pass rush has been hit and miss.

They are an explosive offense.

If you play the under at 54, I will laugh at you by the start of the 4th qtr.

Ok, our secondary is not the best, but it certainly is not the worse. We have the #14 ranked pass defense. People like you grossly underrate our secondary.

But that's fine. But let's not forget the opposite side of the ball for both teams. The Patritos defense is far from stellar---one of the worse.

Reaction score
Make it easy on yourself.

Parameters...

If the total is under 54 (which it will be), then I get to remove Cr122 from the staff.

But if it goes over 54 (which it won't), then Cr122 can stay as an Admin.

Shake?

Reaction score
lol

I don't think cr122 will approve of that.

No, see, because I'll add 10k posts to his count, and he'll think he's getting promoted.

I got this.

Also....

RapSheet Ian R. Rapoport
Also, Law Firm now has a toe injury. That's cool. RBs don't need their toes, right?

RapSheet Ian R. Rapoport
Oh boy. Patriots DT Mike Wright missed practice because of a concussion, per the practice report

C

Cr122

Parameters...

If the total is under 54 (which it will be), then I get to remove Cr122 from the staff.

But if it goes over 54 (which it won't), then Cr122 can stay as an Admin.

Shake?

Yeah. That's not going to happen. I'm staying put.

C

Cr122

I think I'll add 85k to my post count so I can be ahead of Fraudstile. :Dunce

C

Cr122

UNT's Brian Waters 'awesome' for Pats
October, 12, 2011 4:32 PM CT
By Tim MacMahon

IRVING, Texas – There seemed to be a fine fit between Brian Waters and the Dallas Cowboys.

He’s a local product who developed into a five-time Pro Bowl guard, still has some tread on his tires and was looking for a new team. The Cowboys needed interior offensive line help.

But the Cowboys didn’t target Waters, the Waxahachie native and North Texas alum. They’ll see him Sunday when they meet the Patriots, who signed Waters to a two-year deal for $3.5 million plus incentives on the same day the Cowboys inked Derrick Dockery to one-year contract for $810,000 plus incentives.

“He’s been so good for so long, a Pro Bowl player for a lot of years,” Jason Garrett said of Waters. “He’s somebody we certainly talked about. We talked about a lot of different guys. It seems like he’s settled into a role up there that’s helping their football team. He looks like the same kind of guy that’s been playing for a number of years.”

Waters is a key part of the NFL’s top-ranked offense. The 34-year-old is starting a right guard for a team that averages 495.2 yards per game.

“He’s done an excellent job for us,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. “He’d been with Kansas City for so long and I never really had any exposure to him other than coaching against him, but having him on our team has been awesome.

“He’s got a strong work ethic. He really studies hard and prepares well. He’s very, very professional and is a good football player. He’s a good athlete. He’s strong. He’s got a lot of experience. He picks up things well and quickly and he’s really fit into our team and system very well.”

It’s difficult to determine how Dockery fits with the Cowboys. He started the season as a reserve and performed well while filling in for seventh-round rookie Bill Nagy as a starter in Week 2’s win over the 49ers. But Dockery has been sidelined since that game with a knee injury.

The Cowboys could have had Waters for his entire career. As an undrafted rookie, he signed with the Cowboys, who tried to convert the college defensive tackle/tight end to fullback.

After the Cowboys cut Waters, the Chiefs signed him and allocated him to NFL Europe to learn to play center and guard. He became one of the elite guards of the last decade, a status he’s maintaining for the Patriots after the Cowboys passed on him again.

Top Bottom