Reaction score
Four days until our first win of the season.

I'M SO EXCITED!!![video=youtube;bflYjF90t7c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflYjF90t7c[/video]

Reaction score
mattmosley Matt Mosley
Jason Garrett says he's still hopeful Newman will play Sunday, but he didn't practice. Bryant also sat today with "thigh contusion."

Reaction score
49ers notes: Crabtree keeps things in low gear

By Matthew Barrows
mbarrows@sacbee.com

SANTA CLARA – Wide receiver Michael Crabtree spent more time talking with trainer Jeff Ferguson in an early part of Wednesday's practice than he did running routes.

Crabtree, who was taken out of Sunday's game because of soreness in his left foot, was in full uniform for the start of the 49ers' week of practice. But he was observed running only one route during the individual portion of practice, and that was run at about half speed.

Coach Jim Harbaugh indicated that the 49ers would monitor Crabtree in practice this week before determining his role Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys.

"I feel like I know where he is – us talking – but we'll get a better look at that today in practice," Harbaugh said.

Harbaugh also said that activating exhibition season standout Kyle Williams, who was inactive against the Seattle Seahawks, "is definitely a possibility" in case Crabtree can't make it through the entire contest. Ted Ginn filled in for Crabtree against Seattle, but the 49ers would prefer Ginn concentrate mostly on special teams.

Crabtree played throughout the first half of Sunday's win over the Seahawks and caught one pass for four yards. But Harbaugh noticed him limping in the third quarter and took him out.

Afterward, Crabtree said his foot, which he broke in early June, was hurting and that he feared he had broken it again. X-rays, however, showed no structural damage, and Crabtree said he would have to gut it out until the soreness goes away.

Et cetera – Safety Dashon Goldson (knee) was in uniform for the start of practice but, like Crabtree, he mostly was an observer. Madieu Williams started at free safety against Seattle, with Reggie Smith relieving him in nickel situations.

• New tight end Justin Peelle took part in practice. The 49ers signed Peelle, who grew up in the East Bay, to be their third tight end. Peelle is wearing No. 81, which Braylon Edwards wore in the preseason. Edwards has since switched to No. 17.

• As expected, the 49ers signed rookie safety Colin Jones to the practice squad. Jones, a sixth-round selection, was released Tuesday to make room for Peelle on the 53-man roster.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights re

Reaction score
mattmosley Matt Mosley
Terence Newman and Dez Bryant will NOT practice today, according to a source. I'd be really surprised if Newman played Sunday.

Reaction score
calvinwatkins Calvin Watkins
Jerry jones said Terence Newman will miss Sunday's game vs. San Francisco and that he needs 1 more week before returning from a groin inj

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
What's up with Newman's weak groins? Guys have come back quicker from broken legs.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
A groin injury is murder for atheletes who rely on speed and quick twitch movement

I pulled mine while switching my foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal a few months back.

I was 100% a week or so later. Running through home depot and everything.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
And no comma.

I knew what he meant, but it was funnier the way it reads.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What's up with Newman's weak groins? Guys have come back quicker from broken legs.

Groin injuries can be avoided if properly stretched. Newman has had this issue time and time again, and seems to refuse to address it properly.

Reaction score
49ers notebook: 49ers looking for ways to stop Cowboys' sack machine DeMarcus Ware

cinman@bayareanewsgroup.com

Posted: 09/15/2011 08:59:38 PM PDT

The Dallas Cowboys' DeMarcus Ware has sacked 37 quarterbacks in his prodigious career. Alex Smith is not one of them, nor has Smith ever faced Dallas.

Those worlds could collide Sunday if the 49ers can't contain Ware, who's blossomed into one of the best pass-rushers in NFL history since being drafted 10 spots below Smith, whom the 49ers took first overall in 2005.

To help prepare for Ware, the 49ers have enlisted this year's top draft pick, outside linebacker Aldon Smith, who's lined up as Ware on the scout team in practice this week.

"Me and him both have long arms, so that's a look I can give the offense," said Aldon Smith, whose frame (6-foot-4, 258 pounds) also is similar to Ware's (6-4, 260).

"You really want to, every week, try to match up your scout team as best you can to what you're about to face," offensive coordinator Greg Roman said. "So, Aldon, when he's not taking reps, he can give us some looks. That just helps us out."

Ware had two sacks in the Cowboys' 27-24, season-opening loss to the host New York Jets. He has 82 career sacks, including a league-high 151/2 last season and a franchise-record 20 in 2008.

"He's probably the best pass rusher in football," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said. "Plus he can also play like a defensive end. (He's) so strong with his strong hands, powerful lower (body), explosive, and now a technician in terms of technique and all of his assignments, et cetera. The guy is the best in the game."

The 49ers, who did not allow a sack in Sunday's 33-17 win over Seattle, are anticipating Ware to line up on either the right or left side, or whichever side doesn't feature tight-end protection.

In the 49ers' two games against Dallas since 2005, Tim Rattay played instead of Alex Smith in a 34-31 loss in 2005, and Smith sat out the 2008 season in which Dallas posted a 35-22 home win.

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has passed for at least 300 yards in 27 of his 88 career games. The 49ers' Smith has done so only twice in 55 games, but wide receiver Braylon Edwards is confident the 49ers could keep up with Romo, if needed. "I believe we have what it takes to be in a shootout," Edwards said. "Luckily we haven't had to be in that situation yet. We will, and that will show you if we can or can't."

Roman said Ted Ginn will remain a viable option as a wide receiver rather than reserve him for special-teams duty. Ginn scored touchdowns on a 102-yard kickoff return and 55-yard punt return Sunday. "Teddy is a weapon on offense, too," Roman said. "A lot of guys play special teams and offense. We're not going to limit what he does on offense because of teams. He's a valuable player across the board, really."

Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio said cornerback Shawntae Spencer is medically cleared to practice but still not in "game shape" after missing almost all of training camp and the exhibition season with a hamstring strain.

Safety Madieu Williams' shoulder-to-shoulder hit that drew a 15-yard penalty Sunday was ruled legal by the league, Fangio said.

The Cowboys may be 0-1, but Fangio believes they're a "loaded up" contender. "The Cowboys will definitely be, when it's all said and done, one of the better teams in the league, recordwise, this year," Fangio said.

Wide receiver Michael Crabtree (foot) and safety Dashon Goldson (knee) looked OK in warm-ups after being limited Wednesday.

Top Bottom