C

Cr122

Age is just a number for the Cowboys' offensive line
Posted at 1:21 PM on Tue., Aug. 17, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

David had a post earlier this morning about the age of the Cowboys' offensive line and if there should be a concern.

Specks of gray are in Leonard Davis's beard. He turns 32 on Sept. 5. Marc Colombo turns 32 in October. Kyle Kosier turns 32 in November. Andre Gurode is 31. The young guy is Doug Free, who is 26.

The average age is 30.6.

The line prefers to be called experienced, however, not old.

"I wouldn't say it's a concern," Davis said. "Definitely with the experience we've got I think that will help us out a lot. I don't see that as a concern as long as we go and prepare ourselves each week we're fine."

I looked at the rest of the NFC East to see how big of a deal it is. The New York Giants' average age is 29.4 and they have three starters that will be over 30 during the season. Washington came in at 28.6 and the Redskins have three starters over 30. (Rookie Trent Williams is 22 and takes the average down). Philadelphia has the youngest at 27 and it does not have a starting lineman that will be 30 during the year.

Just for giggles (or the lack of a life) I looked up the average age of the Cowboys' line in 1995, the last year they won a Super Bowl. It was 31.4.

Mark Tuinei was 35. Nate Newton turned 34. Ray Donaldson was 37. Larry Allen was 24 and Erik Williams was 27. (Derek Kennard started the Super Bowl and he was 33, which brought the average to ... 30.6. Same as this year's line).

Top Bottom